Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Poet

HSC
Hey I was trying to come up with related texts and I had the idea of doing the song "I Was a Teenage Anarchist" by Against Me!, and was looking for some judgement based on the lyrics and how appropriate and applicable it could be to Belonging.

"I was a teenage anarchist, looking for a revolution.
I had the style, I had the ambition.
I read all the authors, I knew the right slogans.
There was no war but the class war.
I was ready to set the world on fire.
I was a teenage anarchist, looking for a revolution.

Do you remember when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

I was a teenage anarchist, but the politics were too convenient.
In the depths of their humanity all I saw was bloodless ideology.
And with freedom as the doctrine, guess who was the new authority?
I was a teenage anarchist, but the politics were too convenient.

I was a teenage anarchist, but then the scene got too rigid.
It was a mob mentality, they set their rifle sights on me.
Narrow visions of autonomy, you want me to surrender my identity.
I was a teenage anarchist, the revolution was a lie.

I was a teenage anarchist."

Lily_Luna_Rose

HSC
I was thinking of doing Les Miserables, and comparing the book and the recent film, but I'm not sure whether to do it considering how recent it is. Could someone give their opinion?

Jayden22

HSC
Well, we've done the Simple Gift in class. As for my related texts I'm tossing up between V for Vendetta the comic book, Catch-22 or The Stranger for my examination related texts.

For the assignment we have now I'm doing the Motorcycle Diaries film, about Che Guevara and how he found out what he wanted to do (Where he belonged)

Are those good texts anyone? I was thinking the Walking dead TV show but yeah didn't think it'd work.

bparker

HSC
Hello, does anyone know of any related material I could use for my prescribed text Strictly Ballroom by Baz Luhrmann, on belonging? I'm currently having my thesis as: "While belonging is a fundamental human need, people are able to choose whether they desire to belong or not belong to particular groups".

Also, its not allowed to be a film, and would prefer it to not be a poem, as I already have one.
Thank you in advance!

master_mind1

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, we've done the Simple Gift in class. As for my related texts I'm tossing up between V for Vendetta the comic book, Catch-22 or The Stranger for my examination related texts.

For the assignment we have now I'm doing the Motorcycle Diaries film, about Che Guevara and how he found out what he wanted to do (Where he belonged)

Are those good texts anyone? I was thinking the Walking dead TV show but yeah didn't think it'd work.

You may have to confirm with your teacher, but as far as i was told, you are not allowed to use a text that appears on any English syllabus. Catch-22 is used in ext-1 after the bomb.

master_mind1

HSC
Uni Grad
What do people recommend for As you like it??
im having huge problems finding a related
my arguments and thesis base mostly on relationships and place and belonging, so im looking for something that addresses that :p
Oranges and sunshine (both the book and movie) is a really good text for as you like it, it's not overused and there are heaps of parallels. On the flip side, the book is apparently quite hard to analyze compared to other texts, it depends on how proficient you are at English i guess.

L

Locus

Are there any good short stories about belonging in relation to Great Expectations? Anything that isn't overused and is <10 pages long. Much appreciated.

Rohanco

HSC
My Teacher has banned us from using Films :L Anyone got any good ideas for visual realted's, I was thinking about Davincis Last Supper?

Makematics

HSC
hi guys
does anyone know if holes by louis sachar would be a good related for belonging?

Jazilue

HSC
Re: films for belonging

A GOOD SONG TO USE...
'Nobody's Home' by Avril Lavigne.
This song is more than just a pop song...and it's certainly no 'Sk8er Boi'

- The song tells the story of a girl who perhaps once belongs, but now doesn't (don't know where she belongs)
- Told from 3rd person perspective (I couldn't help her...I just watched her). Somebody DID know of her and her story, but they gave up on her; regretful tone. Sometimes it only take one person to help you or push you over the edge. Maybe if the narrator did help her...
- She didn't belong simply because she was 'different'; she wasn't bad, just different, and was consequently outcast (you've been rejected)
- BELONGING TO PLACE DOESN'T EXIST (she tried to go home but nobodys home -title-) She doesnt belong to a particular place in society. She's "broken inside" maybe a metaphor for a 'broken home'?
- CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BELONGING/REJECTION: Shes falling behind/losing her faith/all over the place/falling from grace - no sense of belong to place/people can have serious, negative impacts on individuals...
- Narrator asks girl to find the reasons why -- is there really a reason? should she really blame herself for not belonging? is society to blame; their expectations of what is 'normal'?
- She is an individual, with dreams and hopes, but because shes rejected, she cannot achieve those dreams -- doubts her self, ability, existence, self-worth

There's many more issues of belonging to be found here. Belonging is a personal thing -- we've all had times when we didn't belong for whatever reason; think of those experiences, use them. This is a very good song to use. It's modern, it's personal, and its not 'clear-cut'. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Oh, and I almost forgot, whenever you use a song, you really should discuss the musical elements (what/how many instruments are played at one time? happy or sad melody? does the music correspond to particular lyrics to emphasise meaning? how does the music end -- happy or sad?)

Last edited:

reshiiram

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing Advanced and my core text for the AOS Beloning is "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and my core text for Module C Representation & Text (specifically, History and Memory) is "The Fiftieth Gate by Mark Baker. Anyone got any suggestions for a related text(s) that works well with both? I'm sort of after a film or short story, not looking for novels (I don't like reading under pressure).

Peanuts101

HSC
how's dracula for a related text? I'm not sure if i should do it or not :/

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone is keen, I am selling all my english essays (B6-worthy), PM if interested, can give samples if necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)