Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

ashooles

HSC
I'm writing an essay on the similarities of What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Romulus, My Father. I'm finding it really easy to relate Gilbert Grape to Romulus and belonging.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
would any of this text work with as you like it? cause in as you like it there is sort of the emphasis on place and love so maybe the following could relate to it?

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell, is this a prescribed text in extension 1? I thought i saw it somewhere so kind of afraid to use it. I read the book by chance while doing context research for jane eyre.

Toad Heaven - Morris Gleitzman, a kid book so not too sure. Talk about the ideal place to be where toads will be safe.

Stepford Wives - Brian Forbes, talks about how a family moves to stepford and the wife does not belong. I heard it was a past hsc text so dont know if i should use it. Like as in 1970 hsc test or watever it was called back then.

ethan1991

HSC
Let me start by saying belonging was the most boring topic ever and i personally hated it as did my entire year anywayz here are my suggestions:

Marilyn Manson - the nobodies
Bend It like beckham
sorry i cant think of my others atm go to insidebreak.org they have some good stuff

Johnny Isotopes

HSC
A really good text that goes un-noticed is 'breaking free.'
Its a movie from 1979, it won an oscar, and follows the life of an australian cyclist trying to make the italian team. haha. Funny to watch, largely under-used, and easily analysed.

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Hey guys, would anyone be able to suggest the suitability of my related text "Band of Brothers?" (The book, not the tv series) I've seen it on lists of belonging related texts before, but then again these were the same lists which had "Ice Age" and "Happy Feet" as suitable related text (yes, I know, they're fail texts ><)

triheart

HSC
Any recommendation of related text for Emily Dickinson poems??

jchan

HSC
would either CastAway or Pursuit of Happiness be a good relate text??/

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
ok that means anyone planning on doing unpolished gem. Do NOT do it!

rixie888

HSC
I am planning on using "My Country" by Dorothea Mackellar and "Holes" by Louis Sachar. With "Holes" there is a lot of individuals struggling to belong but I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to particular themes to deal with?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been synthesising: Romulus, my Father; The Red Tree [shaun tan] and Lost in Translation [2003- Sophia Coppola]... denoting the importance of identity/intrapersonal belonging in influencing one's ability to belong [to various contexts]

jellybelly59

HSC
Here are some general rules/suggestions for belonging texts:

1. Don't pick texts that you would classify as popular culture e.g. any recent movies UNLESS you can come up with a brilliant analysis which will blow away the marker
2. Don't pick texts that have the word 'belonging' in it
3. Don't do the same text types
4. Don't do a song if you can't analyse it beyond the technique of repetition LOL and the use of pronouns LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)