Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Here are some general rules/suggestions for belonging texts:

1. Don't pick texts that you would classify as popular culture e.g. any recent movies UNLESS you can come up with a brilliant analysis which will blow away the marker
2. Don't pick texts that have the word 'belonging' in it
3. Don't do the same text types
4. Don't do a song if you can't analyse it beyond the technique of repetition LOL and the use of pronouns LOL
I'm still going to use Glee :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
lol don't worry aquawhite - i presume you'll pull off a brilliant response regardless of your text lol considering you are attempting to beat anna's atar. LOL
Haha, I plan on smashing her ATAR :D. I think Glee is just a really good text and don't think that many students will choose it or something similar, despite me posting it here and a few wanting to do it.

It's quite simple to analyse and then pull deeper (more bullshitty, yet significant) layers out too.

I can't wait for the new season.

jess3991

HSC
i'm considering the idea of using 'burned' by ellen hopkins. any good? & would that be classed as a novel or poetry? i wanted to put it under poetry, because 'the simple gift' is a similar format but under poetry

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Here are some general rules/suggestions for belonging texts:

1. Don't pick texts that you would classify as popular culture e.g. any recent movies UNLESS you can come up with a brilliant analysis which will blow away the marker
2. Don't pick texts that have the word 'belonging' in it
3. Don't do the same text types
4. Don't do a song if you can't analyse it beyond the technique of repetition LOL and the use of pronouns LOL
You'd be surprised (or should I say, not surprised) by the number of people in my year who broke rules 1 and 4.

I'm still going to use Glee :)
Yep, I reckon that Wheels would be a great one to use :D

Courtneyeve

HSC
ive got a belonging speech due soon, and ive chosen to related texts 'The Last Summer ( Of you and me)' by Ann Brashares, and thinking of doing an article relating to the Virginia tech Massacre... i dont know if they'll relate well enough though

bec_194

HSC
how many related text should we have for belonging ?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
how many related text should we have for belonging ?
Have at least three. Chances are they'll only ask for at least one in the exam but it's always good to have a few because essay questions vary, they might actually ask for two related texts and you might find that one of your texts suits the question better than the others.

patmycatalan

HSC
Guys I need a new related txt for Belonging and was thinking of doing an artwork as I don’t really have a graphic text atm. I can't really choose which one I want, and I need you to help me. Which one relates more to the concept of Belonging? Which one has the most things (techniques, themes, etc) to talk about? Essentially, which one is the better option. These are the artworks I have in mind:

Edvard Munch's 'The Dance of Life' - http://kafka.cn/tag/images/danceOfLife_3.jpg

Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' - http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...nighthawks.jpg

Frida Kahlo's 'My Dress Hangs There' - http://tothewire.files.wordpress.com...there-1933.jpg

Frida Kahlo’s ‘Self-Portrait on the Border Line between Mexico and the United States’ - http://www.sai.msu.su/cjackson/kahlo/kahlo28.jpg

Thank you very much in advance guys! Don’t forget to give me your reasons as to your choice! :spin:

HSC
Re: films for belonging

Harry Potter 1
The Golden Age - Louis Nowra
Goodnight Mister Tom
Rowan of Rin

natleeninja

HSC
Hey guys, would anyone be able to suggest the suitability of my related text "Band of Brothers?" (The book, not the tv series) I've seen it on lists of belonging related texts before, but then again these were the same lists which had "Ice Age" and "Happy Feet" as suitable related text (yes, I know, they're fail texts ><)
Hey there, im doing band of brothers the tv mini series, but yes the book is good as well and appropriate because it address a different type of belonging, a belonging with a group of men you only spend a short time with but build a bond that last forever.

Its also good in the sense that your dealing with a text that is written by someone based upon the memoirs and stories told by someone else, something you will get marks for. As long as you address the question properly, you will get attequate marks

Jessiefaye92

HSC
Haha, I plan on smashing her ATAR :D. I think Glee is just a really good text and don't think that many students will choose it or something similar, despite me posting it here and a few wanting to do it.

It's quite simple to analyse and then pull deeper (more bullshitty, yet significant) layers out too.

I can't wait for the new season.
Quick question...which episode are you doing? Because I'm doing "Theatrically", or the Gaga episode.

Last edited:
K

khorne

Do the texts have to be written originally in English? I have a few Russian translated ones I've been wanting to use.

Raeble

HSC
Carol Ann Duffy's poems are quite good for Belonging, particularly My parents kept me from children who were rough and Originally.
Shaun Tan's picture books are good, but a lot of people use those.

manutd12

HSC
I am completely stuck w/belonging related text. I dont want to do a song because Im already using a song for Distinctive voices, for Into the World, Im doing a movie, so for Belonging I am thinking of Doing the River Boys from Home & Away, and how as a group they feel a sense of togetherness within, they unite and stick togethe no matter what, but then they feel a sense of not belonging in the community they live in; Summerbay. Their the outsiders that no one wants to associate with due to the gang; stereotype..
Anyone think its good:?

PadmeLily

HSC
Can anyone think of any related texts for 'The Simple Gift' by Steven Herrick? I'm completly stuck and every text I choose just ends up not really working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)