Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Midnaito

HSC
My English teacher told me that if you do it like that it can still work as your showing two sides of the coin, I myself am using the contrasting idea for "The Crucible" and "Brokeback Mountain" when it comes to community.

Anyway I do actually have a question. For my first related text I'm using the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, can anyone give me help on how to link that back to the Crucible and Identity?

ludac

HSC
Our teacher told us that Shawshank Redemption, is really popular text and is very common. :confused:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Our teacher told us that Shawshank Redemption, is really popular text and is very common. :confused:
Your teacher is correct. Hence it is not wise to use Shawshank Redemption.

ishita mehrotra

HSC
maybe try a few picture books like the rabbits, the arrival, red tree, luke's wy of looking. there are a few complex ones too, so using a picture book isn't necessarily the easy way out. remember, a related text is as good as you can make of it.

P.S. the shipping news is a core text for ext. 1 elective navigating the global, hence it can't be used as a related in advanced.

Yarolala

HSC
Anyone know some good novels and poems to relate with Strictly Ballroom?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
:D

Rayna123

HSC
also, do you think 'Ice Age 3: Dawn of the dinosaurs' is a good related text for belonging? :)

Dora Explorer

HSC
seems like a kiddies movie (well, in the eyes of the marker), ask your teacher though

britty1210

HSC
how about cheaper by the dozen.
The character mark .. whoo the other kids call FedEx

ODRAYZ

HSC
What do you think of The Matrix as a related text? And what are some good points you may know that can be used from it?

Adv. English

English Extension 1
Adv. Maths
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemstry

ATAR AIM: 85

musicxbox

HSC
Is there any good related text that can relate well w/ Peter Shrzynecki's poems?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Did you even look at the first post, before posting that?

Dark Invoker

HSC
I need 3 related texts for "As you like it". I have an exam in 3 days and haven't really given it much thought due to having other assignments and such (stupid of me I know). I was #2 in English last year though and I'm in the top 5 at the moment and I want to be pushing for #1/2 so I'm willing to spend a lot of time on it...but 2 days of study isn't much.

I've got a few texts in mind, the only problem is that I prefer texts that have the same concepts as my related text and I don't think I have that...The concepts/themes within As you like it being - Belonging in terms of love, friendship/loyalty, nature. Not belonging within your family. (I really only skim read the "No Fear Shakespeare interpretation so I'm sure there are a lot of concepts I missed, if you could help me out it would be appreciated [FONT=&quot][/FONT]).

My potential related texts being:
Related Text 1: (Novel)
Novel:
Wuthering Heights - I did it last year for Journeys and I'm sure I can relate it to belonging. I've read it before, analysed it before so I can definitely do it within the 2 day time-frame. Similar concepts/themes of love and not belonging within your family, I could probably stretch it and add in belonging to nature and friendship too...

No other alternatives in mind, I could read a new book if anyone has a really good related text.

Related Text 2: (Movie)
Movie: American History X - One of my favourite movies, relates to belonging a lot but doesn't really have the same concepts/themes as "As you like it"...Belonging to a group, conforming to fit in, not belonging / hatred towards particular groups/races. I'm sure there are other concepts too but as I said, it isn't too similar to "As you like it" so I'm sceptical. Furthermore, I've heard it's slightly over-used? (Question: Is it better to use a text the examiner has most likely seen and will understand rather than something completely under-ground that they've never seen before?)

Movie: Brick - Once again, one of (if not my favourite) movie. It relates to belonging but has dissimilar concepts/themes; the concepts being belonging in terms of love, social groups, not belonging/exclusion, isolation from society, conformity, acceptance. The film relates to belonging really well (better than American History X) but I'm sceptical whether or not I want to use it because:
- It's too "underground", the marker won't know it.
- The themes aren't that relevant to "As you like it".

Once again no other alternatives in mind, I could watch a new movie pretty easily if anyone has a really good related text.

Related Text 3: (Another form of text, E.G poem/website/documentary)

Completely stuck on this, have no clue what-so-ever...I will probably just do a poem though...Need ideas

Rayyan

HSC
haaii
does anyone have any notes on the socrates speech 'no evil can happen'
im thinking of doing it as a related text for the crucible..
heelp :(

Rayyan

HSC
anyone have ideas for a related text for the crucible by Arthur Miller??

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I did 'Land of My Belonging' by Charles Bandy (poem), and Stand By Me which is a film produced by Rob Reiner. Since the belonging question last year said "at least one" I decided my essay was long enough without including Land of My Belonging as well... The film was perfect for belonging, I thought.

Rayyan

HSC
what sort of concepts of belonging are in that movie stand by me?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
anyone have ideas for a related text for the crucible by Arthur Miller??
Did you even look at the first post of this thread? There's literally hundreds of suggestions for related text from the links in the first post which you couldn't be bothered reading.
haaii
does anyone have any notes on the socrates speech 'no evil can happen'
im thinking of doing it as a related text for the crucible..
heelp :(
It used to be in the HSC syllabus, hence there's heaps of resources on it on this site - however, because it was ex-HSC, it is often 'frowned' upon as an easy way out.

Rayyan

HSC
yes i did have a look at the thread..it doesnt hurt asking..and thanks for your opinion on the socrates speech..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)