Benefits of advanced and extension english (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It is all just a way to encourage more people to take the 'more valuable' courses that will be helpful at uni/after school. These include:
Higher Level Maths
Higher Level English
Physics
Chemistry
Modern History (aparently is classed quite valuable, which I can understand).

That's my opinion anyway.... apart from the fact that some of the subjects (physics) are extremely hard and the general level of 'marks' are low... so the scaling is higher and the marks are adjusted accordingly.

HSC
nerdsforever said:
ohhh. so people in standard are just more shit in English so its harder to get good marks. wow. Why do they even put it in levels and make it so complicated with all the scaling? Why cant they just have a common level and if you're crap at it, you're crap. If good, your good
i suppose it's just meeting the demand of giften & talented students

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
i suppose it's just meeting the demand of giften & talented students
Exactly it's just really there for the best at the subjects :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
nerdsforever said:
Why is it harder to get 90 if it's easier? It's just like Maths say. Isn't it easier to get 80 in General Maths than say 80 in Ext 1.
Thats why scaling is in place. Yes it is easier to get 80 in General, but then all the really smart people would just do General and get full marks. Thats why the subjects are scaled.
Its not necessarily harder to get 90 in standard, its that the general (not everyone :)) academic population of the standard is generally lower then advanced. ie there is less people capable to get 90.

But like I said before. There are exceptions to every rule

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
Thats why scaling is in place. Yes it is easier to get 80 in General, but then all the really smart people would just do General and get full marks. Thats why the subjects are scaled.
Its not necessarily harder to get 90 in standard, its that the general (not everyone :)) academic population of the standard is generally lower then advanced. ie there is less people capable to get 90.

But like I said before. There are exceptions to every rule
also..in addition to what she said (im presuming that she's a she) if u do ext2 maths & english..thats already 8 units so only have to pick two more..

instead of doing 6 totally different subject areas which would make it harder (i think) coz unlike maths..the 4units will all be on maths etc

&& bragging rights =]

"which subjects are you doing for year 12"
"Oh, extention two maths and english, physics, legal"
"Wow"

hahaha..fine maybe not but you'd have to be a retard to choose ext. 2 maths if there was no such thing as scaling..

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
also..in addition to what she said (im presuming that she's a she) if u do ext2 maths & english..thats already 8 units so only have to pick two more..

instead of doing 6 totally different subject areas which would make it harder (i think) coz unlike maths..the 4units will all be on maths etc

&& bragging rights =]

"which subjects are you doing for year 12"
"Oh, extention two maths and english, physics, legal"
"Wow"

hahaha..fine maybe not but you'd have to be a retard to choose ext. 2 maths if there was no such thing as scaling..
lol yes agirlinatutu is a she :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Without the scaling some people wouldn't elect to choose the difficult subjects... Though i have chosen all my subjects on how much i would like to do them and enjoy them.... I love maths, science, music... and religion at my school is something you have to choose (because we are a catholic school, though i do find it quite interesting; learning about other cultures).

gavvsy

HSC
if you can do advanced, i would do it. i heard it is really hard to gain a band 6 in standard because the paper is compared to the advanced paper.

9megqyzn

HSC
Fuck, how can i convince my head teacher? Can anyone list reasons?

e.g. "Oh, but miss, i really like shakespeare and i'll commit suicide if i'm not allowed to do it"

What topics are different between standard and advanced?

e.g. shakespeare

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Get your parents involved. Take your parents to see the teacher. If your parents really want to be happy and succeed in the subject, YOU want to choose then I would take your parents. They can discuss it with your teacher... convince her that you should be doing advanced and there isn't a REAL reason to stop you from doing it. People shouldn't be stopped from choosing a course because of a grade... if they are going to commit themselves to the subject enough, then I would let them choose it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
9megqyzn said:
Fuck, how can i convince my head teacher? Can anyone list reasons?

e.g. "Oh, but miss, i really like shakespeare and i'll commit suicide if i'm not allowed to do it"

What topics are different between standard and advanced?

e.g. shakespeare
"I will get a Band 5+ in the School certificate". Which should be easy since I got a Band 5 and I thought I failed the test.

Schoey93

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
Dude your not god almighty. Why would someone take an ext English if they hated English? The standard course is easier than Advanced and you dont have to study Shakespeare. What the majority of people do is take standard because its simple. If you dont like something, then why are you going to put the extra effort in if you dont want to. However there is always an exception to every rule
I acknowledge that I am not, indeed, definitely not GOD Almighty. I am just one guy, a boy, with his own ideas about the world:

• A THOUGHT: I am indeed very much like you.
Yes, indeed, I like to say indeed, indeed. ha ha :D

Yes, I was not trying to launch a personal attack - I am just an "opinionated" person. Sorry if my arrogance got the beta of me (NOT being sarcastic).

James

Schoey93

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
school certificate is pointless
Only 90% true.

The School Certificate is prep (preparation) for HSC. ;)

Yes, true, School Certificate is a formal qualification but will only get you entry to TAFE courses, not to other careers.

If you drop out in Year 10, with the SC, you pretty much have to be an apprentice unless you do mature age Uni study at age 21.

Yes. That's it. --James:D

9megqyzn

HSC
Getting a band 5+ wouldn't be hard. It's just the fucking in-school assessment essays, i think teachers blindly mark them.

One teacher in the school was given a bundle to mark, a week later he was regiven the same bundle and the marks differed by 5-10/20. (won't say who)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Or an easier way to check is just ask your teachers in person because they know exactly what's in it and they have most likely been teaching a mixture of english's for over 5 years :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)