Best 3U maths textbook for year 11 (1 Viewer)

marksgm

HSC
hey im in year 11 and wondering what is easiest textbook to learn from for extension maths. I have the cambridge one and its not really good imo. I dont have a good maths teacher so I need a textbook that I can basically learn all the topics on my own

Saturn WY15

HSC
Most people, say to me that cambridge is either

1) Confusing and hard at explaining concepts

2) Too much information- questions not relate to syllabus, etc.

But personally, i enjoy cambridge the most.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Cambridge and Fitzpatrick. Cambridge has non related stuff, but it's still doable.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Cambridge has the most rigorous, and I reckon, the best summary. I think the Fitzpatrick summary misses a lot of crucial points, glosses over things so to speak. Fitzpatrick's summary especially sucks for applications of calculus to the physical world, and inverse trig functions. But yes, the questions don't really prep you well for the HSC exam. They will prep you quite well for uni, though!

mioumiou

HSC
In terms of understanding concepts, if you are really struggled, try Understanding maths or go to the maths online website. Personally, I use Fitzpatrick for questions (sometimes some questions from Cambridge as well). As been mentioned above, Cambridge and Fitzpatrick got good questions but explanation (esp. Cambridge) is a bit confusing :S

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In my opinion, most textbooks are pretty bad in terms of their explanations (Cambridge probably comes closest to being "good"). Most of them don't derive results and I think derivations are a crucial element in understanding the concepts.

Each textbook has their own strengths and weaknesses. In terms of practising questions, if you want basic questions go to Maths in Focus, if you want intermediate level questions then probably Jones-Couchman/T.Lee/Fitzpatrick and if you want good exam type questions then probably Cambridge.

hscishard

HSC
In my opinion, most textbooks are pretty bad in terms of their explanations (Cambridge probably comes closest to being "good"). Most of them don't derive results and I think derivations are a crucial element in understanding the concepts.
+1
That is perfect imo

Cambridge is great. I think OP is just reading the worked examples and not the stuff before it(explanations, deriving the formula, etc.)

mioumiou

HSC
Fitzpatrick will do you well, very good explanations.

I find Coroneos really intimidating to read cause it's so old LOL
Coroneos got great explanations and questions but it's just the font.... :S

rawrence

HSC
I have coroneos 4 unit textbooks and they have very good questions/explanations but when I was in year 11 and saw a coroneos book it scared me. And it might just be the font but that font looks so intimidating.

Also, some of the stuff goes into too much detail

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Coroneos is boss, uses crap font and still people use it.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Coroneos is boss, uses crap font and still people use it.
Coroneous had no choice. In his days as a self-publisher, he did not have access to professional mathematical typesetting available to big publishers like Addison-Wesley, John Wiley etc. There were no LaTeX, no personal computers. Few had calculators.

Ideal thing is to republish his books with modern typesetting/layout. But would you if you were the publisher, with current syllabi on the way out.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I wasn't having a go at him you know. I admire that font.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)