Best coffee on Campus (1 Viewer)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Esme's gotta have the best coffee, equal with Coffee Cart at library lawn.

the one that i really really like is Soy mocha. sooo foamy and delicious!

where do you buy your coffee on campus?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Asquithian said:
collonade...early in the morning when there is no line...dont really get coffee anywhere else...

esme's is for people who have lotsa money.
but the coffee's kinda the same price everywhere in uni? A soy mocha only cost me 2.20 :)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
How can you guys drink so much coffee? Doesn't it make you all jittery?

Like, one cup to wake you up, I get... but my friends drink 4, 5 cups a day! WTF?

I've only tried the Colonnade and the Coffee Cart near the library, both were great.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
esme's for me mostly, with the very occasional trip to the coffee cart. both places are great, though i prefer esme's cos you can sit down

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i have never bought a single cup of coffee on campus
wait, i have never paid for a cup of coffee in my entire life!!

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I've bought coffee on most of the places.. but always had trouble making the sugar solute with the coffee (Or did I just not shake it for long enough?)

Also, Is it better to use the cup cap, or is it better to drink coffee without the cap?

btw so far, my favourite has to be coffee republic..

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
yeah lets tlak abt my fav subject....food! ahah

esme got slightly better coffee than coffee cart, cuz the guys at the cart burn the milk and sometimes froath it too much, eg: cappucino (1.5cm worth of froath) froath for a latte (1cm)

however, the coffee cart got more variety, eg: white velvet and caramel steamers (caramel shot + milk + froath)

in terms of the crema and the richness of the coffee, coffee cart is slightly better and the crema is a darker shade, i find the coffee beans at esemes is not as strongly roasted as the ones from coffee cart, hence less flavour.

colonade is not bad, though their froathing technique is sometimes realli dodgy. perhaps the worest place for coffee would be the 2 shopes in the mathews arcade.

ps: it was nice meeting ya sugaryblue! :p

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
nah tim, there are 3 pplz. the guy with the long hair is usually there (in the morning), but during busy times, he is in chrage of taking orders and giving numbers out, so now there is this older lady who does it, though on friday and some other days, she is not there, so a younger lady does it. :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
meh, I get my coffee at Java@Java, the guy is a pro, he makes the best coffee
he also used to work at the State Library cafe, and so I know his skills

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
truly-in-bliss said:
yeah lets tlak abt my fav subject....food! ahah

colonade is not bad, though their froathing technique is sometimes realli dodgy. perhaps the worest place for coffee would be the 2 shopes in the mathews arcade.

ps: it was nice meeting ya sugaryblue! :p

LOL I remember TIB is a coffee expert!! ;)

It was nice meeting you, too :)

I swear those 2 shops in the Pavillion have some of the worst food on campus :p

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Minai said:
meh, I get my coffee at Java@Java, the guy is a pro, he makes the best coffee
he also used to work at the State Library cafe, and so I know his skills
never been to Java @ Java, but do they have certain things that are really really really nice apart from soup and coffee??

oh Minai, just wondering, are you one of the accounting PASS leaders?

hk31

HSC
i've tried a few places...

but i'm the worst food taster....i can't distinguish between which coffee is good and which one is not...

how do you know when you've just had GOOD coffee?!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
It's better than all the bad coffee you have had!

The place where you buy it smells like fresh coffee, the coffee smells fresh, it dosn't taste "burnt", you feel like you actually would go back there to buy coffee again etc.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hk31 said:
i've tried a few places...

but i'm the worst food taster....i can't distinguish between which coffee is good and which one is not...

how do you know when you've just had GOOD coffee?!
well first off the coffee bean must suit ur taste. i personally like strong coffee hence strong/dark roast is better than mild roast for me.

when u actually put the beans thru machine and a flow of coffee comes out, a good cup of coffee is distinguished by this foamy cicrcle around the cup, that's known as da crema. u can see the crema even when milk is poured in, because there should be a dark circle of brown around the foam. the crema is basically the oil from the coffee beans, so if the coffee beans are not fresh, then the beans are dried up, and hence less crema.

when pplz descirbe the coffee as *watery* often its cuz the coffee beans are grinded too coarse, hence the water drips thru the cup handles fast. Most pplz think its cuz the coffee beans are bad, which is not the case.

another important feature of a good cup is the milk. Good fraoth does not have any air bubbles. The usual practice is to tap the milk jug after froathing to get rid of the air bubbles, but if ur good enough, u dont need to tap the jug cuz there wouldnt be ani air bubbles in the fraoth to start off with.

the froath must taste silky and smooth, not foamy with heapz of air bubbles. usually bad fraoth deflates after 1 minute. Furthermore, the froath should be adjusted according to what u order. eg: cuppacino has 1.5cm worth of fraoth, and when u froath it up, it needs higher presure than say latte, which only requires 1cm of froath. if u ordered a latte and they gave u heapz of froath, then its all wrong, cuz that then becomes a cuppacino not an latte.

i hope i didnt confuse u haha :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
OMG you know a lot about coffee ...

What is the knife-like thing they use to pour the milk called? And waht is it for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)