Best Commerce Major for Commerce/Advance Maths (1 Viewer)

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Also I dont get why everyone goes in banking/finance

Do people want the money? Because there is very few (CEOs, CFOs and thats it) in banking who are rich. Sure bankers get paid a bit (although the wages are lower in Aus compared to say, NY), but after all the hours of effort and the slogging, it's hardly worth it for a maccas wage per hour. In general, the people who work and put effort in become rich, not the ones who chase the money.

I think its a lot more than maccas hourly wage!
Im also interested to know what you define as 'rich'

K

khorne

Guess Australia is a free country huh, everyone has the right to their own opinion I guess :D
thing is

i do med

u tried to do med

didn't get in

livin it

Also i define rich as 700k+ per year income

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
trying to get into finance: you will need epic marks, then do hours of arse kissing, networking etc, then work 80-100 hour weeks. i honestly dont think you realise what it involves. im simply stating that since you auto asked for salary, you're in it for the money, but will end up necking yourself before you even reach big time if thats all you are in it for.
I don't think people who tend to post on BoS (or have time to post on BoS) necessarily have a solid understanding of what it's like to do a 100 hour work week. Let alone multiple. Let alone week on week, month on month, year on year.

There's a few guys on here who have done it that I know of, and I'm not even in finance (technically speaking) yet I've done triple digit weeks before. It's alot easier to say and think you want to/can do it, than it is to actually do it.

K

khorne

I don't think people who tend to post on BoS (or have time to post on BoS) necessarily have a solid understanding of what it's like to do a 100 hour work week. Let alone multiple. Let alone week on week, month on month, year on year.

There's a few guys on here who have done it that I know of, and I'm not even in finance (technically speaking) yet I've done triple digit weeks before. It's alot easier to say and think you want to/can do it, than it is to actually do it.
Yeah obviously. I've pushed a few 100 hour weeks studying and it's dreadful. By the end of one, I woke up at 7am after going to bed at 2am, and downed 6 redbulls. It didn't help one bit. It honestly drains you so much, and I cannot imagine doing it for a whole year. I love finance and trading, but this kind of shit is NOT worth the money to me.

K

khorne

I think its a lot more than maccas hourly wage!
Im also interested to know what you define as 'rich'
think or swim bitch

entry level analyst might earn 90-150 depending on bonus levels, lets take 100k as the amount.

100,000/48*80

thats wat, 26 dollars an hour? p. shit money if you ask me.

Bobbo1

HSC
thing is

i do med

u tried to do med

didn't get in

livin it

Also i define rich as 700k+ per year income

LOL, didn't even sit the UMAT and didn't have med as any of my preferences... And tbh you're the only person I know who has to do 100 hour weeks just for the HSC. Btw, with this kind of attitude you're not going to get ANYWHERE as a doctor or any other job for that matter...

Last edited:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
no

i dont think u understand

doctors have it easy as interns...you work 40 hours rostered, and maybe overtime, so lets call it 55 hours a week on a heavy night

and get paid 70k straight out of uni

trying to get into finance: you will need epic marks, then do hours of arse kissing, networking etc, then work 80-100 hour weeks. i honestly dont think you realise what it involves. im simply stating that since you auto asked for salary, you're in it for the money, but will end up necking yourself before you even reach big time if thats all you are in it for.
70000/48/55 = $26.5
Have to be waitin while till you're on your 700k+ salary with that 'shit' pay

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah obviously. I've pushed a few 100 hour weeks studying and it's dreadful. By the end of one, I woke up at 7am after going to bed at 2am, and downed 6 redbulls. It didn't help one bit. It honestly drains you so much, and I cannot imagine doing it for a whole year. I love finance and trading, but this kind of shit is NOT worth the money to me.
100 hour study weeks are absolutely incomparable to working those hours.

Nobody gives a fuck about your med degree.

mash121

HSC
op seems retarded just do 1151/1251 and actl 1001 if u like it continue with actl if u dont do finance. i think everyone has covered all the info u need to know about a future in finance.

mash121

HSC
also hours and pay in finance are based on the role u work in and the company u work for. m&a is crazy long hours and on call 7 days a week other areas arnt as bad, commercial banks expect less hours and pay less then ib and european banks expect less hours and pay less then U.S banks.

Last edited:
HSC
To some people, there is. If you're at the top of your field, then you'll get a job.

But seriously, Actuarial is a very specific major. If you get a degree in Midwifery - what jobs are open to you? Midwifery, pretty much.

If you want range, then you get non-specific majors like Finance or something.
This is massive bullcrap.

@OP, do MATH1151 and MATH1251, it's pretty much the same as MATH1141 and MATH1241. Doing 1151 will give you the stats knowledge needed for ACTL1001 and if you dont like ACTL, you can easily go to finance.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
also hours and pay in finance are based on the role u work in and the company u work for. m&a is crazy long hours and on call 7 days a week other areas arnt as bad, commercial banks expect less hours and pay less then ib and european banks expect less hours and pay less then U.S banks.
Pretty much this. 8:30-6 or 6:30 is the norm in retail institutional banks.

Bobbo1

HSC
This is massive bullcrap.

@OP, do MATH1151 and MATH1251, it's pretty much the same as MATH1141 and MATH1241. Doing 1151 will give you the stats knowledge needed for ACTL1001 and if you dont like ACTL, you can easily go to finance.
Yep doing these subjects, ty for the info

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Let's not forget in the current economic climate, banking salaries include an inherent risk premium in them for the risk of losing your job easily.

Meh, I may be in accounting which is the least glamorous of the degrees mentioned here but I <3 stable job and income. I also enjoy the work (usually).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)