BEST degree FOR IB (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
you might come back here one day and say "told you so" but for the time being, you really need to research yourself otherwise you will end up looking extremely uninformed.
Very much agree with this.

runnable

HSC
Guys just a question... but why is everybody so discouraging as to enter IB?? i mean doesnt somebody have to fill in the shoes of those big positions
It's not discouraging you. It's very good to have goals and aims. Just given how competitive it is to break into IB, you appear uninformed about the field. You'll need to do a lot more work and research because you bet your competitors are VERY well informed and highly qualified.

runnable

HSC
Agreed with the above but the only caveat I'd add is if you can get finance coop at UNSW which will get you some decent industrial placements (assuming you're good) then that is probably one of the clearer routes.
Cadetships are also a decent choice. Word of warning is to not get complacent after getting that placement.

halapenyo

HSC
OP you seem very driven and hard working. you would have a better chance than most of being an IB, but follow seremify's advice and stay level headed.

manscux

HSC
OP you seem very driven and hard working. you would have a better chance than most of being an IB, but follow seremify's advice and stay level headed.
thank you.... yes will definitely take on board all advice

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Cadetships are also a decent choice. Word of warning is to not get complacent after getting that placement.
Agreed. If you're dead set on IB or some kind of finance role, you'll still need to do all the other stuff which someone wanting a finance grad role does whether it be top academics, relevant co-curriculars and applying for the relevant summer vacation positions. And networking. Your cadetship will only complement in the sense you may get to network more both with professionals and relevant industry contacts, you'll get exposure to some of the more complex concepts which aren't necessarily taught in uni (e.g. valuation techniques) and you'll get to demonstrate you are able to balance work whilst staying commited to deadlines. The cadetship itself on it's own however is just work experience- slightly better than casual work at Maccas, but isn't going to guarantee you a finance job.

That all being said I know quite a few people who have pursued finance roles and used their accounting cadetship experience to successfully differentiate themself at graduate level, or to take on a slightly more senior position in finance (namely experienced analyst).

The business cadetship program does seem ok but there aren't enough cadets nor alumni to relaly prove whether or not it works out well in terms of development/progression particularly if you are trying to break into front office. I've heard mixed responses so far. You can be the first though :)

runnable

HSC
thank you.... yes will definitely take on board all advice
Commendable. I was even more clueless when I was in Year 12 and somehow still made IB. The earlier you start, the better. :)

manscux

HSC
Commendable. I was even more clueless when I was in Year 12 and somehow still made IB. The earlier you start, the better. :)
WOW... congrats on that...

what level position do you work for and if you dont mind telling me; but how is the work... is it true about the 100 hour weeks.....

Well you can be my first connection :)

runnable

HSC
WOW... congrats on that...

what level position do you work for and if you dont mind telling me; but how is the work... is it true about the 100 hour weeks.....

Well you can be my first connection :)
Feel feel to PM me if you have more questions about the area. But the 100 hours week is true, it was between 80-110 hours in the office. If you include travel, showering, waking up etc, you're sleeping a handful of hours a day.

p.s. The concept of connections and networking is more of a US thing. It's not as big in Australia but it's very useful for smaller places.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
funny thing i like to share
we were swapping intern facebooks around the banks

we spot a girl in citi who is still in high school! LOLLLL

so much for the tough barriers to entry. all you need is a rich daddy

is a roflcopter
HSC
also quick reality check as mentioned by others
as a junior - you dont "negotiate deals". you go buy coffee for the client and smile while you do it

and im an associate so thats 4 years ahead. as an analyst, you just carry stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)