Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Well, I got a few books from my schools Learning centre, and I'll HONESTLY tell you which book was which:

Leading Edge (Dixon) - Shocking. They skim over a few key points (such as Infrastructure, which unless you actually went and read completely you wouldn't have found. Was in my test). The Chapter summaries are pretty much what you want this book for, and the definitions at the back (Just photocopy all of them for your personal use. Shouldn't be more than 25-30 pages, 10% copyright safe I think)

However, has ALOT of dry jokes, so it's easy to read though for a laugh ;)

Riley - The Deluxe version of leading edge. If your school has a top economics and lower economics (our school doesn't have the numbers for it), this would be for the top half. Very detailed, doesn't really skimp over things, but a lack of dry jokes (you need them!)

Bulmer - The one to read. The Prelim book for it is SO GOOD, that even for your HSC w=you should use it. The Part A - C thing is also very nicely done. Also includes Dry Jokes. This book is the one to get if you're aiming really high. Just note that this book is the HARDEST to concentrate with, due to its nature. So, if you're english isn't the best, don't bother. (No offense, but read it and you'll know what I mean).

And FOR THE RECORD, only pick from ONE of the Above.

Doing economics since it was left ---> Dixon (Leading Edge)

Doing economics since I was forced by parents --> Riley

Doing economics since I need (actually) like/love the subject --> Bulmer

Now I need to go and eat my ice cream before it melts!

EDIT: Home Ice Cream eaten (Oh, and I was being serious above, if you were forced to do ecnomics please don't pick the Bulmer. You won't learn much since you won't have that driving instinct (Points at my spiky haired friend who likes 3U Maths yet gets stuck with Maths In Focus... How do you keep interest in that book?)

Last edited:

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Well, I got a few books from my schools Learning centre, and I'll HONESTLY tell you which book was which:

Leading Edge (Dixon) - Shocking. They skim over a few key points (such as Infrastructure, which unless you actually went and read completely you wouldn't have found. Was in my test). The Chapter summaries are pretty much what you want this book for, and the definitions at the back (Just photocopy all of them for your personal use. Shouldn't be more than 25-30 pages, 10% copyright safe I think)

However, has ALOT of dry jokes, so it's easy to read though for a laugh ;)

Riley - The Deluxe version of leading edge. If your school has a top economics and lower economics (our school doesn't have the numbers for it), this would be for the top half. Very detailed, doesn't really skimp over things, but a lack of dry jokes (you need them!)

Bulmer - The one to read. The Prelim book for it is SO GOOD, that even for your HSC w=you should use it. The Part A - C thing is also very nicely done. Also includes Dry Jokes. This book is the one to get if you're aiming really high. Just note that this book is the HARDEST to concentrate with, due to its nature. So, if you're english isn't the best, don't bother. (No offense, but read it and you'll know what I mean).

And FOR THE RECORD, only pick from ONE of the Above.

Doing economics since it was left ---> Dixon (Leading Edge)

Doing economics since I was forced by parents --> Riley

Doing economics since I need (actually) like/love the subject --> Bulmer

Now I need to go and eat my ice cream before it melts!

EDIT: Home Ice Cream eaten (Oh, and I was being serious above, if you were forced to do ecnomics please don't pick the Bulmer. You won't learn much since you won't have that driving instinct (Points at my spiky haired friend who likes 3U Maths yet gets stuck with Maths In Focus... How do you keep interest in that book?)

This.
IMO, Dixon is pointless if you have a decent economics teacher. I've never used Riley myself, but from the photocopied handouts we've gotten, he waffles on quite a bit...
So, Bulmer if you're aiming for a high mark in the subject :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Dixon isnt bad, I actually find the book pretty good, and Riley is a good summary of Dixon. never actually had a chance to look at Bulmer.

wrecking

derp.
HSC
bulmer actually makes you like economics. well for me anyway.

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
My eco teacher used a combo of all 3. Dixon was good, but you need more at times. So you get the leading edge stats (They are those 4 page thingys telling you about the economy, right?) etc to keep up to date (kinda), and use the other 2 for more of an explanation as needed via sheets. Riley goes into waaaaaaaay too much detail sometimes though. Bulmer was pretty good. There were some points where none of them explained things properly though. Hello teacher/Google! Of course, at the end of the day you should also be learning from your teacher :p

Last edited:

loaves

HSC
Dixon is okay if you're looking for a basic, trimmed down study guide that's easy to cram from. However, if you're aiming for Band 6, I would advise against.

Riley is excellent, very detailed but still not over the top. Combined with current trends/statistics, this will impress the markers and put you on your way to a B6.

khfreakau

HSC
there is no best textbook - some textbooks do some parts of the syllabus a lot better than others, and vice versa.

eg. dixon chapter 10 is a shithole, but riley does it SIGNIFICANTLY better. on the flipside, dixon tends to cover effectiveness/limitations of policy a bit more in depth than riley. get both :)

Bobbo1

HSC
there is no best textbook - some textbooks do some parts of the syllabus a lot better than others, and vice versa.

eg. dixon chapter 10 is a shithole, but riley does it SIGNIFICANTLY better. on the flipside, dixon tends to cover effectiveness/limitations of policy a bit more in depth than riley. get both :)
True, what about the balance of payments in riley, it's just a joke!

Clean Sweep

HSC
Is anyone using Ian Moore's Creative Economics. My teacher says that he has the best textbook because he doesn't talk about rubbish outside the syllabus but hey that's just my teacher.

shravan_872

HSC
Uni Grad
I use the leading edge text book! My teacher is awesome anyway so I dont have to solely depend on the textbook

partho123

HSC
N/A
According to my view don't depend any single book.First try to read a topic with different book. Then just try to make a note. you see you can get much better note

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
At my school we used Leading edge and we all like it, it's great. Mainly because it gets updated every year, which is good because economics is that kind of subject.

jadiskris

HSC
We use Dixon at school and I think it's great.
I asked my Economics teacher whether or not I should get additional textbooks, especially Riley since I got his Year 11 text book from my cousin and I found it quite useful. I say 'quite' because although Riley goes into a lot of detail (which is great if you struggle on getting the analysis bit in essays right) he can be quite difficult to understand if you don't know the basic/foundation, which Dixon is amazing at covering.

Here's the interesting bit: my Economics laughed when I mentioned Riley's name as it turns out that they attended university together and uh, he's not a big fan of Riley AHAHA. Said something among the lines of 'always pushed me to the edge' etc. Thought this would be interesting to share LOL :D

Regardless, he says if you use the two text books together it's a safe option but it isn't necessary.
Both Dixon and Riley are great, it depends on where you lack personally as to decide which one to use.
In short, I think Dixon is great if you need the basics, get your head around the theories etc.
Riley is when you want the in depth explanations which doesn't work well for everyone.

If you successfully use both well together and research current economic data yourself I think you are pretty much covered.

Last edited:

swagmeister

HSC
I'm using Dixon combined with Creative Economics and the Excel study guide. Using Creative Economics as the main one and then supplementing knowledge with Dixon and doing a bit of review with the Excel one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)