Best game in each genre (1 Viewer)

HSC
Okay, what the FUCK. That isn't an accurate representation of he conversation.
Ever heard of the word 'example?'

FUCK me.. .
You are using the same points OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
That's because you're too blind to realize what the point is.

The fact that i DID use the longevity of the game to support my choosing of SC, shows that I'm not looking at the one factor.
Again that is just YOUR opinion, how is that using other 'factors?' Other factors are stats, which are objective, i.e, sales.

You are just arguing the one perspective of sales indicating people playing a good game
Let's look at my Post shall we?
Dragon Age saw a revolution and re-introduction into the 'dark fantasy' world. It's been over 5 years since Neverwinter Nights came out, and complemented with the high critic scores, Dragon Age is worthy of its high rank. Pokemon, whilst a fun game, just had the basic rpg controls and was meant to capitalize on the Pokemon craze at the time...
That's weird, I see no mention of sales?

Once again, your opinion. Being one of the most sold FPS (if not the most) sold of all time, matched with the great critic scores obviously means this game is fantastic. Whilst not a fan of COD myself, I'n not going to put in a game I like better just because, I like it better, and not for its merits.
Alright, here's one mention. And that wasn't even the main point of argument,

Twilight Princess saw clever use of the Wii remote, instead of the old controller - styler controls. It also paid immense attention to detail, and is a very beautiful game. It also managed to snag quite a good score from the critics.
Wow, again, no mention of sales.

Does Ace Combat even come close to Sims sales? No. Do the same amount of people play/enjoy Ace Combat compared to Sims? No.

Okay, two mentions of sales. And in this case, it is 100% justified.

Are you joking? Do you even know what survival horror even is? Considering it's my favourite genre, and you have the nerve to compare Silent Hill 2, one of best survival/psychological horror games of all time, with another dumb shooter game where you get a surplus amount of ammos, and doesn't even qualify as survival horror, clearly indicates you know little of the genre.

I've played Aliens, to Clock Tower, Resident Evils, Fatal Frames, Silent Hills, Kuon, Penumbria, to Alone in The Dark, and whilst Silent Hill 2 gives me nightmares (how disturbing is a Pyramid Head raping a monster nurse then killing her?) Aliens is a game I expect to find in the $5 and under Bargain Bin, cause that's all it's worth.
I see no mention of sales here?

Age of Mythology is a great game as it revolutionized the RTS series, instead of making the minor tweaks like other RTS. It introduced a counter system, God Powers, and the austere, Minor God choices you'd have to make when you advanced. As great a game as Starcraft is, it's just an RTS. What's the main difference between it, and other RTSs? It's set in space...
Sales? Where are you?

Finally - reply if you have an arguement that ISN'T based on sales.
So what did I end up including? Critic scores, platform, controls, genre, revolutions, and two points in sales.

In case you haven't realized, these are OTHER FACTORS, that you would consider when dubbing a game "the best."

So don't exaggerate the fact that I only used sales in my argument. You just ignored all my other points in total. That's hardly fair.

And once again, surprise surprise, you judge your games based on content:
But the musical score, storyline and the actual character development is on par, if not, greater than FFVII.
Musical score is content, and can be disagreed easily. Storyline is content, and can be disliked easily. Character development is content and can be loathed easily.

I've played Vagrant Story, and judging it alone based on 'content' music was not that great - can I even remember the name of one song? No. I also disagree with storyline, it was cliched, whilst FFVII transformed the typical fantasy genre into a futuristic world (it was clever how the Monk was Tifa, the Archer was Barrett, the Templar was Cid etc.) Character development in Vagrant story...I didn't really care for it. I didn't even care when my character died.

But unlike you, I look at other factors.

Platform - PS, so for a PSX game, the graphics were quite well done in comparison to other games at the time.
Controls - the battle scheme was quite well done, as was the customizations and control schemes (although chaining and magic was sometime frustrating).
Content - Okay. Will I remember it? Not likely.
Critic's Score
with a 9.6, it's a great review from the critics.
Revolution It is revolutionize anything? Unfortunately no, as despite the overall good gameplay, other games also saw aspects of this game before it was released - e.g, Dungeons and Dragons games.
Sales 100, 000. Not a remarkable figure, but still alright.

Verdict: Best game of all time? Well, I think its release date of 2000, may have hindered its performance due to it being released at the end of the PSX's lifespan, hence - for graphics, + for sales. Overall, whilst a great game at the time, there are much better RPGs, that do well in more of the aspects, leaving Vagrant Story to be ranking in the 'teens' if we're looking to find 'The best game of all time'

^ as you can see, you really do need other aspects to judge a game fairly, and comprehensively, as content alone is far too subjective to qualify games. Sales, as you often like to point about, does play a role, but I have never said it was what dictated what made the best game, so please stop making it sound like I did. If we looked at things based on content alone ie. music, story etc. that you've mentioned, it's really a 1 sided view on a game, as there will 100% be people who will disagree, leaving you a ridiculous range of scores, from 0 to 10.

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
Metal Gear Solid is awesome though its kind of action game it deserves its own genre of Stealth.
ongoing series from 1987 (Metal Gear) to present (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)

HSC
^ btw, Can we please stop this argument? It's getting quite pointless, and I don't think either of use are benefiting from this. We're just getting frustrated and becoming unnecessarily foolish/crude.

Let's just bury the hatchet and move on to other things. :kiss:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'm going to put forward my own list because I personally don't agree with your original list

1. RPG:
1st - Final Fantasy VIII(Honestly haven't played much of VII so really can't comment)
2nd - Morrowwind

2. Action:
1st - Devil May Cry- even if it is technically hack and slash
2nd - God of War

3. Adventure:
1st - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- Honestly I can't believe you put Twilight Princess above OoT, the Wii mote was a bitch for Twilight Princess I got to the stage of just z targetting and attack. Plus at least you had to think a bit for OoT
2nd - Mario Bros. 2(The game boy one)

4. Fighting:
1st - Super Smash Bros. (Yeah technically it is in a genre of its own but fighting is the closest you can get)
2nd -Tekken 3(Fighting is a hard genre to decide on)

5. Simulator:
1st - Harvest Moon(either original or Back to Nature)
2nd - The Sims 2(I actually pretty much had everything done before realising that I actually hated the game)

6. Survival Horror: A genre I'm not too familiar with but...
1st - Resident Evil 2
2nd (Tied) - Silent Hill 2(personally haven't actually played it XD)

7. RTS: My favourite genre of the lot :D
1st - Rise of Nations- This is simply because you can't just build up a huge army and win, if you do and someone nukes it you're screwed.
2nd - Rome Total War- Now this is a game I love for the sheer tactical value of both the campaign map and the fighting itself. Both have tactics of their own and you need to use diplomacy if you expect to get a long way.

8. FPS: Personally I don't really like the genre because it's point and shoot but...
1st -Perfect Dark
2nd -007 Golden Eye

9. Driving: A very ergg genre of sorts
1st -Need for Speed: Hot pursuit
2nd -Burnout 3

Last edited:
HSC
1st - Final Fantasy VIII(Honestly haven't played much of VII so really can't comment)
I liked it too :) But the junction system was REALLY annoying. I also thought all the girls had weird weapons....

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I didn't play it when it first came out, so that's probably why it doesn't strike a chord with me that much. :(

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I didn't play it when it first came out, so that's probably why it doesn't strike a chord with me that much.
You've played it since though right? It's pretty deserving of the attention it gets.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I liked it too But the junction system was REALLY annoying. I also thought all the girls had weird weapons....
I didn't mind the system itself, just hated drawing magic from enemies. And the graphics for it's time were amazing, the cut scenes still put some of the stuff today to shame >.<

Unsatisfied

HSC
Best RTS: Starcraft: broodwar (no question about this one)

Best RPG: Diablo II before duping / botting ruined everything

Best Shooter: CS 1.5 (dont like 1.6 as much or CZ or source, 1.5 was fucking ace)

Best Adventure:
1. Abe's oddysey
2. Zelda: occarina of time

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I forgot about Abe's Odyssey, I honestly don't think it matches up to OoT but it was a good game.

And I can't comment on Diablo 2, I have only played the first one.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
rpg - baldur's gate saga, fallout saga, diablo 2
action rpg - mass effect 2
fps - cod4, l4d
action - ninja gaiden
adventure - okami
platformer - psychonauts
puzzle - tetris attack
sports - fifa series
fighting - marvel vs capcom 2
racing - mario kart ds
music - rez
rts - starcraft

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Worst? Age of Mythology? Are you an idoit? Seriously, your saying the best is "Age of empires 2"??? When both Warcarft 3 an AOM beat that game in sales and reviews..

Age of Mythology is a great game with a good story to it..
lol... don't get me started on the sales and reviews arguement

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Never played AoM but AoE 2 was a brilliant RTS, seriously don't just dismiss it due to sales and reviews >.>.

fuller45

HSC
haha i knew i would rile someone up with that statement. i dont really thing aom is the worst nor aoe 2 the best (though it is close). im mainly just reiterating this ultra pro statement

"i don't know how you put it above AoE2 and didn't feel like seppuku'ing yourself afterwards :/"

Edit: Did u even research reviews before saying aom has better scores then aoe 2? Metacritic gives aoe2 a score of 92 compared to aom's 89.

besides, you cant base the overall quality of a game on reviews. example, IGN gives mythology a score of 9.3, and aoe 2 only 8.8, yet aoe2 was number 10 on IGN's own "Top 25 PC Games of All Time" list. guess what game didnt make the list?

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I seriously don't know why IGN are so high praised, they're all noobs that aren't real gamers and love things that are shiny but with little gameplay. They are also so inconsistent with their review process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)