• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

best law university (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
that allows you to do law by-itself instead of a combined degree?

ie. UNSW and USYD only allow for a 'combined' degree.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
sigh.
UTS's law and ANU is 4 years full time.
i might as well get a combined course, and do the 5 years. eh?

Demandred

HSC
Doesn't UTS and ANU have their 1 year prac legal training included? Really means the 5 year combined degree is really 6 years if you want to prac as a solicitor.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
Doesn't UTS and ANU have their 1 year prac legal training included? Really means the 5 year combined degree is really 6 years if you want to prac as a solicitor.
PLT is not 1 year long.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
You get more law electives if you do straight law though. To be honest, if I had my time again I would have done a BA first and then a JD.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
UOW offer it as a straight 4 year degree and it is well respected. My understanding is that you get more electives and the PLT is included in the 4th year.

However, my thoughts are that employers in law probably expect people to have 2 degrees, it broadens your knowledge at the very least.

DTFM

HSC
I think the LPAB diploma is only a few years if you want to consider that route.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UTS, ANU and UOW all have great law programs and are well regarded. That said all of those are 4 years so why not spend the extra year and come out with two pieces of paper.

Take it from someone who wanted to straight law when they were about your age, I have actually found combined law beneficial as:
1. Gives you a chance to study something different and has allowed me to explore a lot of things that I didn't know I was interested in at the time.
2. Gives you a break from law (sometimes law can drive you crazy)
3. Is good to ease you into uni, I can't imagine doing a full study load of law in first year, doing it last semester seemed tough enough and doing a bit of law and other stuff helpes ease you in when you are making the transition to uni.
4. Has just been interesting and gives me a sense of achievement
5. Gives you other options if you find you hate law (which I have seen happen)
6. Can (this depends on a variety of things and does not mean you are less so with a single degree) make you more employable.

\/anessa

HSC
melsc said:
UTS, ANU and UOW all have great law programs and are well regarded. That said all of those are 4 years so why not spend the extra year and come out with two pieces of paper.

Take it from someone who wanted to straight law when they were about your age, I have actually found combined law beneficial as:
1. Gives you a chance to study something different and has allowed me to explore a lot of things that I didn't know I was interested in at the time.
2. Gives you a break from law (sometimes law can drive you crazy)
3. Is good to ease you into uni, I can't imagine doing a full study load of law in first year, doing it last semester seemed tough enough and doing a bit of law and other stuff helpes ease you in when you are making the transition to uni.
4. Has just been interesting and gives me a sense of achievement
5. Gives you other options if you find you hate law (which I have seen happen)
6. Can (this depends on a variety of things and does not mean you are less so with a single degree) make you more employable.
Keep in mind that you need not completely pursue either degree. A double degree can be beneficial as abovementioned, but if for any reason, you are bored with/miserably failing and/or otherwise find the BA/BCom/BSc redundant, you can always revert to straight law. :)

Addendum: I am hating and borderline failing the non-law components of Commerce but striving desperately not to drop it, since prospective employers almost always demand dual qualifications. :(

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
\/anessa said:
Keep in mind that you need not completely pursue either degree. A double degree can be beneficial as abovementioned, but if for any reason, you are bored with/miserably failing and/or otherwise find the BA/BCom/BSc redundant, you can always revert to straight law. :)

Addendum: I am hating and borderline failing the non-law components of Commerce but striving desperately not to drop it, since prospective employers almost always demand dual qualifications. :(
Hey, wats your commerce major? :)

\/anessa

HSC
Cookie182 said:
Hey, wats your commerce major? :)
lol venture a guess :p

It's not:
- Accounting [never set a foot in the Department of Accounting after getting away with a final mark of 50 for Introductory Accounting];
- Finance [ditto with the Finance department, although I achieved a slightly more commendable final mark of 53 for Introductory Finance];
- Economics [clueless at first but eventually picked up some basic concepts];
- Econometrics [not struggling as much since I come from a mathematics background];
- Management; nor
- Marketing.

04er

HSC
melsc said:
(sometimes law can drive you crazy)
I think that is a major understatement. I just finished a public law assignment and OH MY JESUS there is life afterwards!?

Only law can bring me to a state where I feel like lying down (whether it be on an infected toilet floor or the middle of a motorway) and dying a slow painful death.

Fuck law assignments give me the shits.

:uhoh:

Anyway kiddies don't let me stop you from doing law. While it is mentally challenging, and may sometimes amount to mental rape, it can still be really fulfilling.

I'm just talking fresh off the back of two law assignments, worth 30 and 40% respectively.

/end rant.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
\/anessa said:
lol venture a guess :p

It's not:
- Accounting [never set a foot in the Department of Accounting after getting away with a final mark of 50 for Introductory Accounting];
- Finance [ditto with the Finance department, although I achieved a slightly more commendable final mark of 53 for Introductory Finance];
- Economics [clueless at first but eventually picked up some basic concepts];
- Econometrics [not struggling as much since I come from a mathematics background];
- Management; nor
- Marketing.
hmm lol a guessing game :)

Ok..

well it wont be Bus. Law (since u cant do this, as your doing an LLB), it must be-

- Human Resources??

If not, PR or SCM (Supply Chain Management) although id bank on HR.

rlmck

HSC
B Aerospace Engineering Syd Uni
is anyone else putting this as their 1st prefence ? anyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)