Best/Most Useful Textbook (1 Viewer)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
She isn't always nice ;) :p
:confused: Now SS whatever do you mean? :rolleyes:

As for Terry Lee, the ext 1 book doesn't have answers for the induction questions. Know where I can find them, if any?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
:confused: Now SS whatever do you mean? :rolleyes:

As for Terry Lee, the ext 1 book doesn't have answers for the induction questions. Know where I can find them, if any?
You know what I mean ;) :p

The extension 2 book? There are some induction questions in there that are the same to the ones in the extension 1 book.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
I Found Cambridge to be particularly useful, never ending stack of practice questions.

Lol, my tutor joked around saying that, if I finished the WHOLE 3 unit cambridge book of questions before my HSC he'd give me a couple hundred $AUS, but meh I never bothered :) It's quite possible to get close to a 98 for Maths using this book's contents + questions.

Though to get the feel of stuff - Past Papers are a must nearing HSC or even before to get urself extra time for review.

kkewi90

MUAHAHHAHAA~~
HSC
coroneus all the way~~ used to hate it because of the font but im used to it now, much better than maths in focus

sivan89

HSC
Heys guys,
I'm in year 11 atm and i'm doing 3unit maths. Our school gave us coroneos, but i wanted an extra textbook for extra help, i'm not that good at 3unit so i don't want something that gets hard staright away, i'm looking for a textbook that has explanation aswell as worked out solutions, and that it starts off easy and gets harder.

Its okay if i have to get 2 textbooks i don't might, as long as i can achieve good marks in the end.

thanks for any help

Kujah

HSC
N/A
What school do you go to?

You could try a variety of books- Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, Maths in Focus. I think Maths in Focus and Understanding Year 11 Maths are good books for grasping the concepts, but Cambridge and Fitzpatrick are good for exercises.

sivan89

HSC
Kujah said:
What school do you go to?

You could try a variety of books- Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, Maths in Focus. I think Maths in Focus and Understanding Year 11 Maths are good books for grasping the concepts, but Cambridge and Fitzpatrick are good for exercises.
thanks for the help
i go to menai high

which is better out of cambridge and fitz for explanations and worked out solutions??

and is the "Maths in Focus extension 1", just extension 1 work or is it 2&3 unit combined?

Last edited:

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
sivan89 said:
is the "Maths in Focus extension 1", just extension 1 work or is it 2&3 unit combined?
The MIF ext 1 book (prelim=green, HSC=purple) is the 2u and ext 1 courses combined.

ssglain

HSC
For Ext-1 my school is uses Maths In Focus as the main text book but we are also given Coroneos for personal reference. I use Cambridge 3U privately.

MIF is one of the weakest maths text books in many areas, but it does provide more approachable explanations (thus the sacrifice of deeper discussions of theory) for the less competent students. Despite having said that, it's quite good for self-study (as I said, the explanations and questions are very approachable and the book does also include worked solutions for questions requiring proof) provided you move on to more challenging and theory oriented books such as Cambridge or Coroneos after the basic notions are well grasped.

Coroneos is a very decent text book, to be fair, but I personally refuse to touch it because the typesetting of the older editions is very harsh on both eyes and mind. I don't know if the more recent editions are any better.

I must say, I absolutely adore Cambridge 3U. Aside from its far superior elegance in explaining the theory, I like the way the exercises are structured into three sections according to difficulty. Another plus for Cambridge, more relevantly for Ext-2 students, is its constant attempt to reach beyond the syllabus requirements of Ext-1. I know the Ext-1 students sometimes find this annoying, but I love it. :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Cambridge for ext 1. No questions about it, it's the best ext 1 text I've seen.

I'll repeat what I said about Maths in Focus. It's not even worth to be used as fuel for a fire, let alone a textbook.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah. The Cambridge book is one good book :)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
sivan89:

what i do is use maths in focus first - complete the chapter on the topic i'm doing in MIF. this gives me the basic understandings. i do the test yourself + the challenge (despite most of MIF being quite basic, there are some harder questions in the challenges - sometimes. this gives you a boost on the challenging questions)

then i go do the chapter on the topic in coroneos.

they're both on the extreme end, MIF a lil easy, coroneos a lil hard - but i find they supplement each other well.
after coroneos i normally dont feel the need to refer to any other books, by then i usually dont have time either, so often i'll just do revision sheets

hth :)

ssglain

HSC
Templar said:
Cambridge for ext 1. No questions about it, it's the best ext 1 text I've seen.

I'll repeat what I said about Maths in Focus. It's not even worth to be used as fuel for a fire, let alone a textbook.
Too right there. Except maybe you wouldn't want to do that for 7000% the price yet maybe 0.5% the fuel efficiency compared to standard unleaded petrol w/w.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Just wondering where you can get the Phoenix textbook?

z0mbie

foshizzleee
HSC
Fish Sauce said:
Just wondering where you can get the Phoenix textbook?
i got mine from dymocks.
personally i prefer phoenix because of the worked solutions :) haha

oh btw, nobody likes the excel maths or accelerated maths books??????

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
z0mbie said:
i got mine from dymocks.
personally i prefer phoenix because of the worked solutions :) haha

oh btw, nobody likes the excel maths or accelerated maths books??????
Haha, worked solutions :D

They're alright, if you just want some practice questions or an easy-to-understand explanation of the topics, but in reality they are really just study guides, not textbooks per se.

z0mbie

foshizzleee
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
They're alright, if you just want some practice questions or an easy-to-understand explanation of the topics, but in reality they are really just study guides, not textbooks per se.
touche :p

Freshmex

Stapler Donator.
HSC
Although a lot of schools use it, the Fitzpatrick provides fairly challenging questions. What I HATE about it, is that the book also provides vague examples. They briefly tell you how to do a question, and later in the exercise you will encounter questions which don't seem to correspond with any of his examples. It's frustrating because you won't know what to do next in the exercise apart from moan and winge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)