Best/Most Useful Textbook (1 Viewer)

dlesmond

HSC
I would have to say the Excel book...

It clearly explains every topic and gives you exercises with solutions, as well as practice papers at the back.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I think that Maths in Focus: Extension 1 is good for a "Basic" Introduction to the main topics but "Excel Fast Track HSC Step-By-Step Study Guide" is great for a deaper understanding of the Syllabus, also, as a plus it has worked solutions!!!

My School, I noticed, only, for extension 1 Mathematics, uses "Maths in Focus: Extension 1" which is just basic! They dont use the Excel Fast Track, I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

I personally dont like the normal Excel ones beause there way of writing in two collumns is both unatractive and messy, but the Fast Track version is way better!

Grace HSC

HSC
so whats the go with maths in focus? am i setting myself up for a fall with that one coz its so easy?

HSC
N/A
fitzpatrick 3u (green)

i only used that book and my rank in ruse is 3rd/159 :)

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
What about Jones & Couchman 3U Maths Book 1? My school uses that one and so far it seems good. I think there's a 3U Book 2 too, although I'm not sure if that's continued from Book 1 in the preliminary course or the book for the HSC course...

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Cambridge
- has a nice variety of questions for learning and revising

Terry Lee
- has a good variety of questions, but the font and colours are eww

Fitzpatrick
- has a good variety of simple questions for building the foundation

Jones Couchmon
- has too many simple questions, out of date, hard to read

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Cambridge 3U is proberbly the best for practice questions. The development questions are the best for practice, and they're not hard enough to need worked solutions, even though they're more than hard enough for 3U exams. Extention questions are a waste of time mostly. It's totally irrelevant, and most of the time, I have no idea what they're trying to ask, although some of them are quite good.

Texts books arn't that good, especially for people who have trouble trying to sit down and study, (like me). What i found is that doing practice tests and past papers is the BEST method to study for tests. Just do a few past papers, and once you get over 90% in those, you're proberbly going to get >90% in your actual test too.

Math in Focus is a joke. Their questions are not worth doing, it's a major waste of time. Just stick with the Cambridge book or past papers.

YannY

HSC
many extension questions builds up on 4u or would help me understand the core of the topic if you actually put your heart into it.

nguyenvu

HSC
Math in focus only for 2U, Cambridge should be one of the best that should be use. But the sad thing is i stuck with coroneous anyway need to study what i got that all.

YannY

HSC
just fking learn the syllabus and make your own questions then answer them. Thats the most challenging - not many can do it but for those that can that is some elite training.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I use these:
1. Maths in Focus - this is supplied by my school
2. 3U Cambridge - that i bought myself
3. Corenoes (sp?) - that my dad bought my sisters yonks ago
4. Understanding 3U Maths - which is a total dud.

I find that what I do first is attack Maths in Focus to learn the basics and grasp a hold of the work until I get it then move onto Corenoes where I find harder equations and work from there. Then if I'm up for the challenge I move onto 3U Cambridge. I wouldn't suggest though, going onto Cambridge without learning the basics first. I find that their methods of teaching aren't exactly too good, but their questions are always challenging which makes you feel good when you work out the answer after 3 hours :p

TimLocko

HSC
hi, im using maths in focus @ my school.
i heard really good things about cambridge and have ordered the edition called cambridge 3 unit mathematics year 11... does anyone know if this book has topics on polynomials, division of a line in a ratio and circle geometry... cause im in year 11 and these are the sorts of topics i have been doing.

could someone please let me know what topics are in that book.

most appreciated.

matty123789

HSC
Well despite the fact that it is seemingly despised in this forum we use the Maths in Focus at our school and my Maths teacher seems to think it is the best of all the text books she has ever used in her many years teaching

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How long has your teacher been teaching? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)