Best Movie 2008: Slumdog Millionare (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Surely you cannot base whether a movie is better than another purely on the basis of budget?

The Dark Knight was by far the best movie of 2008. And its grossed more than $US 1 billion so far so thats not a bad ROI for Warner Bros.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Slumdog was a really good film. I like it better than Wall e but still split between whether wall e or dark knight was better.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
It isn't coming out anywhere near me so I'll have to wait for the DVD to check it out.

As for best movies of the year, I'd go with:

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. WALL·E

And remember to use an interpunct when writing "WALL·E" people, it's not a hyphen.

ratcher0071

HSC
What a great movie Slumdog Millionaire was. Sometimes was really funny. Especially the toilet scene.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
watched slumdog millionaire last friday, very good imo, but cant say it was the best that would probably go to The Dark Knight

Zionist

HSC
Enjoyed too.. one of the best. WallE? the most boring animated film IMO

u-borat

Banned
HSC
haven't seen it yet, but my top films of 08 were in bruges, walle and burn after reading.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
it was really great. there were some parts where i was like wowwwwwwlaamewriting, but overall so moving and beautiful.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Enjoyed too.. one of the best. WallE? the most boring animated film IMO
No way. Wall-E was sensational. Although, it's second half is no less then a let down compared to it's exquisite first half - It still is, an all time classic. In a modern age!
The most boring animated film has to be held by Cars ...Seriously, What were they thinking?

Oh and back on topic, Slumdog Millionaire. It is a good film, but I don't think it is the best. Sure it's openly optimistic with it's cliche third act, even in a time of crisis, we can all appreciate that. But it's value is lost when it depends too much on conceived writers fate. I.E fate that is molded by the writer. Then instead of being on an escape, I feel as if I'm being forced into a gas chamber. Albeit, not the experience that Slumdog had on me, but the undertone is the same.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
No way. Wall-E was sensational. Although, it's second half is no less then a let down compared to it's exquisite first half - It still is, an all time classic. In a modern age!
The most boring animated film has to be held by Cars ...Seriously, What were they thinking?

Oh and back on topic, Slumdog Millionaire. It is a good film, but I don't think it is the best. Sure it's openly optimistic with it's cliche third act, even in a time of crisis, we can all appreciate that. But it's value is lost when it depends too much on conceived writers fate. I.E fate that is molded by the writer. Then instead of being on an escape, I feel as if I'm being forced into a gas chamber. Albeit, not the experience that Slumdog had on me, but the undertone is the same.
hm. if you are going to pick it apart like that, can't you say that all love stories work on a basis that the fate is molded by the writer? i mean, i dont think it really pretends to give any other answer than the ending it presented. plus, its been marketed totally as a love story, it was the plight of the characters and the way it was filmed that really stood out to me.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
hm. if you are going to pick it apart like that, can't you say that all love stories work on a basis that the fate is molded by the writer? i mean, i dont think it really pretends to give any other answer than the ending it presented. plus, its been marketed totally as a love story, it was the plight of the characters and the way it was filmed that really stood out to me.
There's a suspension of belief when it comes to movie-fate. I agree, all fate has to be controlled by writers. Because it is a fictional world no? But it is the premise that the only conflict between Jamal and Latika being together was time. That there was no plausibility as to why Jamal kept finding Latika. He seemed fine during the voyage on the trains with Salim. This was the highpoint of the film to me. The bond of brothers.

And you bring up a good point about it being a Love story. I think this is the source of my agitation. It had been something along the lines of 'City of God' and a tale of choices and destiny. Then the film falls into it's Quest for Latika and this pulled me away. Not because I hate love, but because I felt the bond between the brothers was unfairly overshadowed by this third musketeer. Who only expresses her true love at such a convenient time, while poor Jamal is busting his balls. But I guess...thats what love is all about.

Anyway, the cinematogoraphy, as you mentioned, is superb. I could almost feel as if I was in India. The whole hand-held aesthetic was touching; it's ability to glorify India's slums is a feat within itself no doubt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)