• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best option - B.science/B.biomed sc/Bachelor of adv.science (for postgrad med) (1 Viewer)

loong21

HSC
Hi so i'm picking y preferences and I don't know which is the best course to pick if i am hoping to transfer into post graduate medicine after the course is finished
so i'm thinking b.science, b.biomedical science or b.adv science
my questions are.. are these good courses to choose if i wish to graduate into medicine (or dentistry)
if i study one of these at a particular uni, does it mean i get into that uni easier if they have a medicine course (say i do b.med at UWS does that mean i will get into medicine at UWS if i fit the needs for the graduate course?)
if there are any better courses, can you please tell me.. and do many people transfer from biomedical science to medicine? i have never heard it happening before
THanks

thirdplace

HSC
UWS doesn't have a med graduate course. Only undergrad. However you can transfer while undergrad.
I don't know anything in relation to your actual question.
Edit: Can still do it after you've got your degrees but you won't need it.

Medman

HSC
I wouldn't pick courses for the intention of making it into graduate medicine. I would pick something which will expand my horizons (looking back I should have studied a language) as a person unless you are truly adamant medicine is your goal. B.science is probably the most flexible but if you do pick advanced you can choose to drop down to normal science anyway depending on your circumstances. As for job opportunities everything is getting difficult, research funding has been severely cut at USYD so finding a research job or PHD is extremely difficult now. That being said junior doctors are being screwed over from training places so wherever you look in those two fields you will have difficulty. Hope that helps!

em dash

HSC
N/A
Does not matter in the least for grad med. Do whatever you want or whatever you can accept as your realistic contingency plan if your plan A does not come through.

If anything, consider Arts or, like, Health Sciences (v. useful!) or an allied health course (e.g., physio, nursing, oral health, radiation stuff) if you are deadset on medicine. You cover things in medicine to the requisite level to practise medicine and in an applied context that you cover — generally not so well — in a B.Sc., B.Biomed.Sc., B.Sc.(Adv.). There could be more people in grad med courses and in the profession that have such a background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)