Better than UWS? (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
not-that-bright... uws offered an extra 11000 places this year
in being more places available and not that many people to fill them (say for example the same amount of people applied as last year) theres lower cutoffs and vacancies in many courses
[edit] woah so many typos here.. what am i on

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I see, i don't consider uws bad or anything like most people, i was just interested in why most poeple had left (too high fee's or something i thought).

aaron22

HSC
Which one is better for B Business and Commerce (accounting)?

ACU

or

UWS

melodic_gal

HSC
yes it is acu is fantastic, they offer the best education courses than uws does. the teachers here at acu are wonderful and supportive. They really assist you with your assessments explaining to us answering questions that needed anwers. classes are smaller. unlike uws when i was studying there I did not recieve the support I am now receiving from acu.

pollydunning

HSC
Well I have a bit of a rare view about universities in NSW! I believe that not all institutions that call themselves "universities" are actually universities. For example, Notre Dame is not a university for many reasons, mainly that there are fees, but also because it is a religious institution and I believe that education is secular by nature. For this reason, I think that it is questionable whether ANU is a university, although it is beginning to fulfill much of the criteria for being one. It is made up mostly of Commonwealth supported students and has recently been publicising that it is welcoming to students of all religions and backgrounds, which is definitely a great thing! However, whoever said it's one of the best universities for Education courses is deluded. The UAI for acceptance into those courses are some of the lowest around, if it was so crash hot everyone would be going there!
UWS is definitely a university and it is fast becoming one of the most reputable ones around. It is especially good for degrees in advertising, communications, arts and social work. It is also a university in which 70% of its students are the first in their family to attend university, which I think is a really great thing and often means that it is populated by people who really want to be there, rather than people whose parents really want them to be there, many of whom I have found during my time at Sydney Uni.
I think you need to look at things like which uni is more accessible for you, where friends are going (if that is important), what the course(s) you are looking at are like in those unis and the UAIs for acceptance, both to determine whether it is a realistic goal and to try to get accepted into the most popular course (which often means best, because people vote with their feet!)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
pollydunning;4499522[B said:
]Well I have a bit of a rare view about universities in NSW! I believe that not all institutions that call themselves "universities" are actually universities. For example, Notre Dame is not a university for many reasons, mainly that there are fees, but also because it is a religious institution and I believe that education is secular by nature.[/B] For this reason, I think that it is questionable whether ANU is a university, although it is beginning to fulfill much of the criteria for being one. It is made up mostly of Commonwealth supported students and has recently been publicising that it is welcoming to students of all religions and backgrounds, which is definitely a great thing! However, whoever said it's one of the best universities for Education courses is deluded. The UAI for acceptance into those courses are some of the lowest around, if it was so crash hot everyone would be going there!
UWS is definitely a university and it is fast becoming one of the most reputable ones around. It is especially good for degrees in advertising, communications, arts and social work. It is also a university in which 70% of its students are the first in their family to attend university, which I think is a really great thing and often means that it is populated by people who really want to be there, rather than people whose parents really want them to be there, many of whom I have found during my time at Sydney Uni.
I think you need to look at things like which uni is more accessible for you, where friends are going (if that is important), what the course(s) you are looking at are like in those unis and the UAIs for acceptance, both to determine whether it is a realistic goal and to try to get accepted into the most popular course (which often means best, because people vote with their feet!)
To suggest that ACU or Notre dame is not a uni cos it is also a religious institution is just silly, I go to ACU, and i can tell you for a fact, that it is just like any other uni but we have the option to attend mass and stuff if we want, other then that it is just a name, that is like suggesting that christian/ muslim/jew/ or anyother religious school is not a school. It is not only catholics that come, they never ask you what religion you are in the application process, and we actually have muslims and other religons there. Also about the fee thing, all uni's have fees, and i think you will find that they are also able to hecs theres.

ACU has an amazing rep for teaching (And as a student of the B of Teaching/ B of arts i can see why) the education department is excellent, i find the lecturers amazing, and the content is facinating, and relevant to what we will be doing. The UAI's are not the lowest around, infact the BTBA is the highest around seconded only to UNE (from a quick UAC Search) I think you will find the lower UAI's are contributed to the number of people wanting to do teaching in general. I think generally the uni's with the best rep for teaching is ACU and UOW.

Last edited:

aaron22

HSC
Which one is better for B Business and Commerce (accounting)?

ACU

or

UWS

AppleNader

HSC
UWS is often seen as a last resort for most people. No-one ever plans to study at UWS, they just mess up their HSC and end up going there .

Not saying ANU is better but out there in the real world, that's how it is.

melodic_gal

HSC
To suggest that ACU or Notre dame is not a uni cos it is also a religious institution is just silly, I go to ACU, and i can tell you for a fact, that it is just like any other uni but we have the option to attend mass and stuff if we want, other then that it is just a name, that is like suggesting that christian/ muslim/jew/ or anyother religious school is not a school. It is not only catholics that come, they never ask you what religion you are in the application process, and we actually have muslims and other religons there. Also about the fee thing, all uni's have fees, and i think you will find that they are also able to hecs theres.

ACU has an amazing rep for teaching (And as a student of the B of Teaching/ B of arts i can see why) the education department is excellent, i find the lecturers amazing, and the content is facinating, and relevant to what we will be doing. The UAI's are not the lowest around, infact the BTBA is the highest around seconded only to UNE (from a quick UAC Search) I think you will find the lower UAI's are contributed to the number of people wanting to do teaching in general. I think generally the uni's with the best rep for teaching is ACU and UOW.
Amen to that

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
lol ACU is shit. It has no reputation lol. atleast UWS has a bad reputation. Acu isn't even known by most people lol.

Notre Dam is alright it has a med faculty as well

ACU is 'alright' for edu because u get a job regardless of how shit ur uni is. for other courses quit while ur ahead and go on the dole seriously why is there even a thread on this?

There are 3 tiers in aus uni's

the top G8
alright UTS, MAC, RMIT, QUT etc
u went shit UWS, Wollongong Grifith etc

then

uni's that should be tafes but are there for bogans from bogan areas that need to be there to educate bogans that stay and never leave bogan areas. = newcastle, UNE, ACU, Victoria uni, Southeran queensland uni etc
How about you attempt to judge universities once you actually study at one. Perhaps then your close minded opinions may have some validity (though I very much doubt it).

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Lol, the way you posted certainly does not paint you as being a university student of any worthwhile calibre. Carry on, then.

pollydunning

HSC

All the things that you said about ACU in regards to whether it is a uni or not are exactly what I said about it when giving reasons that I think it is certainly getting there, so thanks for repeating me, how nice.

The reason that ACU has a high UAI for BTeach/BArts is because most reputable universities offer a Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts, which is a higher degree (the equivalent to a Masters of Teaching). The UAI is at a high of 76.1 at ACU (for Secondary Humanities), where at USyd the lowest entry for any Education degree is 81.65 (for Human Movement) and the highest is 87.4 (for Primary Education), with the Secondary subjects ranging from 84.5 - 86.35. At UNSW the lowest UAI for Education is 78, and at UTS it is at 81.95. The UAIs at UWS are comparable to those at ACU, ranging from 63.4 - 85.45. So, you see, to say that ACU has the best degrees for studying to be a teacher is a complete fallacy, the marks say so and so do the teaching staff. If you can get in to a better uni, I would certainly go there.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
To suggest that UAI is the only indicator of a quality course is ridiculous. ACU has one massive advantage, it is small! It has some of the best employment rates. I looked into several Unis, and i was always told to do teaching go to ACU!, I got into other courses, and chose this over other courses.

ACU also has a wider range of Education Degrees, for example this is the only place in sydney that you can major in technology, and have computing as a minor,

You clearly have never done a teaching degree at ACU

pollydunning

HSC
No, I am studying an Education degree at the most prestigious university in the state, USyd. UAIs may not be a definitive measure of course quality, but it is a fairly good indicator, as people tend to vote with their feet. Sydney uni's curriculum teachers are also the people who set most of the HSC exams and are very involved in writing the syllabi, which certainly says something.
To say that ACU has a wider range of degrees just because you select your major and minor areas when you select your course is silly. At Sydney, by studying a Bachelor of Education Secondary, you could major and minor in anything you want that they offer, using any combination. Also, I still think it is telling that ACU only offers a Bachelor of TEACHING which is an equivalent qualification to a Diploma of Education, while other universities offer a Bachelor of EDUCATION, equivalent to a Masters of Teaching. And by the way, the graduate employment rates are no higher for ACU than for many other unis (news flash, there's a shortage of secondary teachers).

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
No, I am studying an Education degree at the most prestigious university in the state, USyd. UAIs may not be a definitive measure of course quality, but it is a fairly good indicator, as people tend to vote with their feet. Sydney uni's curriculum teachers are also the people who set most of the HSC exams and are very involved in writing the syllabi, which certainly says something.
To say that ACU has a wider range of degrees just because you select your major and minor areas when you select your course is silly. At Sydney, by studying a Bachelor of Education Secondary, you could major and minor in anything you want that they offer, using any combination. Also, I still think it is telling that ACU only offers a Bachelor of TEACHING which is an equivalent qualification to a Diploma of Education, while other universities offer a Bachelor of EDUCATION, equivalent to a Masters of Teaching. And by the way, the graduate employment rates are no higher for ACU than for many other unis (news flash, there's a shortage of secondary teachers).
Actually bachelor of Teaching is generally a post-graduate degree (unless bundled as a double degree) whilst Bachelor of Education is undergraduate. However none is better then the other, and Bachelor of Education is not equivilent to the masters at all, that is why there are so many people that do their masters after there bachelor of education.

Tbh i have heard negative things about Usyds Education degrees, nothing in particular just that they are not that good.

most unis (including ACU) have their education lecturers working on the HSC exams and syllabus, not just USyd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)