Big 4 Accounting Firms Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

billbro

HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
In companies of thousands of people judging a firm's 'niceness' based on a handful of people you met is pretty short-sighted.

Unfortunately however I don't think there's any way to determine what company is right for you from an outsider's perspective as the most important things like

A) How that particular company will expect you to perform your work (e.g. methods, IT systems, 'work infrastructure' [massive differences here btw])
B) Training (availability and frequency)
C) Internal assessment

...are practically hidden from you until you've started.
I suppose judging based on a few people we may have met, is myopic but it can't be disregarded either. I agree that the insight we have gathered would be limited, but I think you can also observe a fair about the firm.

Personally, after speaking to a graduate I know at PwC, I was genuinely impressed and keen to get an offer at the firm. However, I had my Conquest Assessment Centre today and my perception of the firm changed quite drastically.

I realise that I have only had a limited exposure to the firm, so my sweeping inferences could be completely wrong. First off, I wouldn't say I had the most welcoming partner to interview me - she didn't even smile once, not that she had to but it would have been reassuring. Also, I realise I can't expect to be able to mingle with numerous experienced employees, but at PwC today the vast majority of the recruitment team had only been at the firm for a few months. I just felt that this contrasted starkly with my experience at KPMG, where I could mingle with partners, managers and graduates. I think one other issue, while extremely minor does reflect a lot about the firm as well and that was the lunch. In the elevator going up one of the new grads commented that at least we get a free lunch since you don't really get many freebies, yet I found the lunch to be rather abysmal. Ultimately, my friend and I grabbed lunch elsewhere afterwards, but I thought this was partially indicative of how highly they valued potential employees. At KPMG and this is a preference thing, but I found the lunch to be quite nice, rather than a meagre selection of sandwiches... there were a variety of sandwiches, wraps and focaccias.

With that said, that was purely my thoughts and I am not trying to imply that PwC isn't a great place to work for many people, but my perception did shift. I am still interested in PwC, simply because the BA line has more appeal to me than Audit at KPMG - but there are a number of things I have to weigh up if I get two offers (unlikely though, as I don't think I impressed in the interview for PwC). I guess I just had high expectations going in there from the conversations I had with the person I knew there.

So, I suppose I'm trying to convey though in a rather unclear manner, that even though it might be limited we can probably infer quite a bit about the firms.

Suvat said:
Do note that these rankings measure the overall strength and reputation of the firm's entire tax practice. Naturally, each firm will be stronger in some areas than others. For example, EY is particularly strong in the media sector while PwC is a powerhouse in financial services.
Any chance you have similar figures for Audit? The only source I've been able to go off is the Connect4 survey.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
How good was the lunch at KPMG? They let us stay for as long as we wanted (basically) and stuck around, chit chat etc... I stayed for a good 1-2 hours for lunch.

The grads were great to talk to since they were also helping out with the assessments and gave us tips on which wraps they thought were the best that we should try. :D

sdfjsdkl55

HSC
Anybody yet heard back from KPMG Melbourne regarding vacation work in audit and assurance?

Also anybody heard back from Ernst and Young Melbourne regarding vacation work in audit and assurance?

Cheers

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
billbro said:
Any chance you have similar figures for Audit? The only source I've been able to go off is the Connect4 survey.
Sorry mate, don't know much about audit

billbro

HSC
N/A
Suvat said:
Sorry mate, don't know much about audit
No probs =P

----

Also, I realise this probably looks like a pretty stupid question, but can anyone confirm what Audit 2 at KPMG is for me? On another forum, someone said "Basically, my situation is that I have been offered external audit roles (Non-Financial Services/Audit 2)" and that would suggest it is an external audit role that excludes the FS industry. Alternatively, today someone told me Audit 2 was actually internal audit akin to Business Assurance at PwC.

There certainly doesn't appear to be anything on the web about it, I'm sure I could call up and ask but it would be preferable if I could grab an answer here.

Last edited:

abhi_89

abhi_007
HSC
sdfjsdkl55 said:
Would like to know if anyone else has completed the assessment day with KPMG and how long after did they have to wait to know if they were successful??

Cheers
I WAITED ONE WEEK TO GET AN OFFER ==" . the most painful week of my life, especially when others got the offer the same night as the AC.

BeeCom

HSC
abhi_89 said:
I WAITED ONE WEEK TO GET AN OFFER ==" . the most painful week of my life, especially when others got the offer the same night as the AC.
Maybe you were short-listed as some one who would get an offer if some one elses refuses . . . which I think is highly likely considering the amount of time you had to wait compared to others. Be thankful ^_^

iamabanana

HSC
Just got a call saying I got an offer for PWC :):) Conquest day was yesterday.
Thanks to all those who provided tips and details of the conquest day.
Pretti much the same as what people said. There was a little twist at the end of the group activity though.
We all thought it was done and it was lunch time but they gave us another piece of paper with added information on the case study and had to discuss for another 10 mins. Also the assessor on the table was switched.
Had the best guy for the interview. Talked really easily and the time flew by.

billbro

HSC
N/A
iamabanana said:
Just got a call saying I got an offer for PWC :):) Conquest day was yesterday.
Thanks to all those who provided tips and details of the conquest day.
Pretti much the same as what people said. There was a little twist at the end of the group activity though.
We all thought it was done and it was lunch time but they gave us another piece of paper with added information on the case study and had to discuss for another 10 mins. Also the assessor on the table was switched.
Had the best guy for the interview. Talked really easily and the time flew by.
Congrats,

I had my PwC Conquest yesterday too... but no call =[ Not too phased either way, wasn't as impressed with the firm after the day. I still prefer BA to External Audit though and the 'prestige' factor is always nice.

abhi_89

abhi_007
HSC
BeeCom said:
Maybe you were short-listed as some one who would get an offer if some one elses refuses . . . which I think is highly likely considering the amount of time you had to wait compared to others. Be thankful ^_^
yeah you're probably right... i was stoked when i got the call though..

deakin2009

HSC
seems like offers have hit a bit of a slow patch....but mid tiers will be starting up again soon. never feels like it is ending.

PS Still have no idea Deloitte or KPMG..think i am leaning towards KPMG.cmon there has to be someone else in a similar position on here!! HELP haha

billbro

HSC
N/A
deakin2009 said:
seems like offers have hit a bit of a slow patch....but mid tiers will be starting up again soon. never feels like it is ending.

PS Still have no idea Deloitte or KPMG..think i am leaning towards KPMG.cmon there has to be someone else in a similar position on here!! HELP haha
I didn't apply for mid tiers myself, as I was only going to apply if I didn't receive any offers.

As for Deloiite or KPMG tax, wouldn't have a clue but Audit I would definitely be going for the latter. I have a few friends who work at Deloitte and they all tell me it is quite laid back, at the same time my cousin who works as an accountant told me she thinks their work is rather sloppy.

Globally KPMG doesn't perform as well, while Deloitte has a formidable reputation and is arguably usurping PwC in the UK. I suppose this doesn't really matter, I was kind of stupidly dwelling on this point myself and a friend pointed out that regardless of the relative size the Big 4 are still going to remain the Big 4.

Not sure how many of us can help you, since we don't really have experience with the firms. Maybe some of the more experienced heads will have something to offer.

I would add that I really got a great impression from KPMG though, the partner that interviewed me was extremely nice and he stayed back well after everything had come to a close to continue chatting with us even though he hadn't eaten lunch. I just felt welcomed I suppose and that plays a big part for me, everyone was nice there as well.

deakin2009

HSC
billbro said:
Maybe some of the more experienced heads will have something to offer.quote]

This is what i was hoping for..i wonder if there are many people inside these firms that wander around here???

Otherwise they dont really let much out..everything is kept really hush hush.

thanks for your response though. appreciate it mate

BeeCom

HSC
deakin2009 said:
billbro said:
Maybe some of the more experienced heads will have something to offer.quote]

This is what i was hoping for..i wonder if there are many people inside these firms that wander around here???

Otherwise they dont really let much out..everything is kept really hush hush.

thanks for your response though. appreciate it mate
Try and find cadets from each company at uni, that's what I plan on doing if I get another offer.

sdfjsdkl55

HSC
abhi_89 said:
Are you from Melbourne as well???

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
so how long does PwC usually take after conquest for offers?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Argh, PwC sent me an email saying they'd send me a link to do the SHL testing

It's been nearly 2 weeks, and I'd totally forgotten about the e-mail until now.

Has PwC finished with their hiring yet?

billbro

HSC
N/A
sf_diegoxrock said:
Argh, PwC sent me an email saying they'd send me a link to do the SHL testing

It's been nearly 2 weeks, and I'd totally forgotten about the e-mail until now.

Has PwC finished with their hiring yet?
I don't think they have, they had a Conquest today and I believe a few next week. However, it is probably a bit late now and your SHL test would have expired. I gues you could always call up HR.

sunjet said:
i just got an offer from pwc yay
Congrats, did you do the Conquest today?

I doubt I'll get a call from them myself, didn't have the most impressive interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)