Big Brother Australia AXED (2 Viewers)

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
I only watched the first and 2008 seasons, but I like Big Brother.

It's obvious that those who are complaining about the show being for "fucking retards" only watched the boorish advertising advertising campaigns. Yeah, they took a bunch of weirdos, but if anyone actually watched past the first week they'd find that housemates actually played down their backgrounds. It wasn't completely vacuous television :/

EDIT: Whats so bad about watching retards :D?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Captin gay said:
I only watched the first and 2008 seasons, but I like Big Brother.

It's obvious that those who are complaining about the show being for "fucking retards" only watched the boorish advertising advertising campaigns. Yeah, they took a bunch of weirdos, but if anyone actually watched past the first week they'd find that housemates actually played down their backgrounds. It wasn't completely vacuous television :/

EDIT: Whats so bad about watching retards :D?
nah i actually watched about 1/4 of season 1 and about 1/4 of some other season.

Evilo

HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
Let me ask this question:

What would you guys rather watch:

1) Big Brother
2) Fat Pizza

??
fat pizza - it only goes for 1/2 an hour, once a week. And its barely funny, where BB is shit.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I should also argue that although big brother isn't aimed at intelligent people, intelligent people can still enjoy it. The same reason that intelligent people can enjoy sports, and above all shitty comedies like Freddy got Fingered.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, see I can understand why you're a little confused. Just to explain for you: Will Ferrell is an actor, and his behaviour is not real. The people in the Big Brother house are genuinely moronic.

I doubt the big brother environment has much external validity, I would definently not say 'genuinely moronic'

I know people that read Sartre and Socrates and have "low intelligence".

and ok, I'll rephrase then

I loved Will Ferral's character in Old School, and and his behaviour can be said to only be entertainment for retards. See, in saying 'Will Ferral in old school' would imply that I am obviously talking about his character, which would also include all the scripted behaviour you would observe in the movie.

"It's far more idiotic to assume that only morons watch big brother." statement still stands.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
mainly morons do watch big brother though. again, look at their target market (i.e. the majority of viewers).

X

xeuyrawp

hiphophooray123 said:
"It's far more idiotic to assume that only morons watch big brother." statement still stands.
I think you think that I'm trying to be scientific and exact: I'm just being judgemental.

Imo, people that watch Big Brother are idiots. They hide behind bullshit a la "I'm interested in social interaction", when they're just voyeuristic and unimaginative. I can't possibly think of anyone intelligent who watches it on a regular basis.

And your reverse analogy is false, I think.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think you think that I'm trying to be scientific and exact: I'm just being judgemental.

Imo, people that watch Big Brother are idiots. They hide behind bullshit a la "I'm interested in social interaction", when they're just voyeuristic and unimaginative. I can't possibly think of anyone intelligent who watches it on a regular basis.

And your reverse analogy is false, I think.
I think ashton watches it regularly. He's very intelligent. Pwned.

X

xeuyrawp

stazi said:
I think ashton watches it regularly. He's very intelligent. Pwned.
How did you pwn me when I said that I couldn't think of anyone intelligent who watches it...?

X

xeuyrawp

hiphophooray123 said:
My fav psych lecturer watches it regularly

and yes, ruby and ashton watch it heaps too. so do i. so does chadd.
K I'm probably not making sense because people seemed to have started naming (some) intelligent people who watch it. I'm sure if I went out on the street, I could find intelligent people who watch it.

But outside of a few people who have been named, I don't know any. I'm not using it to back up any argument that I have. I just hate the show, and I don't know any intelligent people who watch it. It's pretty simple. :-/

If you want to get in an argument about it, I think that intelligent people would treat it completely differently to morons.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
PwarYuex said:
How did you pwn me when I said that I couldn't think of anyone intelligent who watches it...?
because i thought of someone intelligent who does watch it.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
PwarYuex said:
K I'm probably not making sense because people seemed to have started naming (some) intelligent people who watch it. I'm sure if I went out on the street, I could find intelligent people who watch it.

But outside of a few people who have been named, I don't know any. I'm not using it to back up any argument that I have. I just hate the show, and I don't know any intelligent people who watch it. It's pretty simple. :-/

If you want to get in an argument about it, I think that intelligent people would treat it completely differently to morons.
But see, you could apply a similiar argument to south park, dumb people like it because they enjoy the toilet humour and kids swearing and such, the inteligient humour in it like social commentary escapes them.

Is south park a dumb show? my mum would think so, because she doesnt enjoy toilet humour and the intelectual jokes she doesnt understand.

X

xeuyrawp

Serius said:
But see, you could apply a similiar argument to south park, dumb people like it because they enjoy the toilet humour and kids swearing and such, the inteligient humour in it like social commentary escapes them.

Is south park a dumb show? my mum would think so, because she doesnt enjoy toilet humour and the intelectual jokes she doesnt understand.
Look, for starters, as much as I'd love to say that views can be meritorious regardless of medium, you know that Firefox plus a spell-checker is free? It's difficult to discuss intellectualism with someone who doesn't spell correctly.

Secondly, how is any of what you said any sort of argument? You're drawing an analogy to something which I haven't mentioned at all - I could easily say 'yeah, I agree - South Park is also dumb'. Baarrrh false start.

That being said, your analogy is completely false in that you cite the inherent intellectualism of (some of) South Park; yet Big Brother has nothing intellectual about it. People who watch it may say that they watch it for intellectual purposes, but that could be said about anything, and I really don't think it's true. Big Brother is not made to be intellectual at all. I think the two shows are completely incomparable in most regards other than that they're both marketed and enjoyed by younger audiences.

Blah blah blah hoorah back and forth till the cows come home, but I think I've adjudicated debates and public speaking crap on Big Brother at least every year for the past five or so years. It's completely pointless discussing it, especially when I'm happy to say 'I'm being judgemental'.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I also think people need to get over trying to justify non-intellectual entertainment. I hear people constantly say 'yeah well <x music> has a whole meaning, the metrics, metre, aesthetics is complicated, blah blah blah'. I listen to trashy music and watch horrible sci-fi and am happy to admit that both are completely anti-intellectual and just appeal to me for reasons unknown. <- Hence, I'm a hypocrite. *shrug* Don't see why people can't just say 'I like Big Brother for the drama' or whatever they get out of it. That's the annoying thing for me; not so much that people watch it, but they give false reasons for watching it. This is all in my experience, anyway, and I'm only interested in talking with people about Big Brother to see if they actually have anything intellectually drawn from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
PwarYuex wins the thread.

P.S. reality TV rots your mind

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's difficult to discuss intellectualism with someone who doesn't spell correctly.

Serius typed "inteligient" and I'm 100% sure you knew it was meant to read as 'intelligent' so why bother getting caught up on how it is incorrectly spelt. Unless it was just some petty cop out to make Serius feel intellectually inferior?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)