Big W tips (1 Viewer)

bubbly

HSC
I went 4 an interview about 2 wks ago.

It was only a one on one interview.

R there more interviews 2 come?

How long will it take 4 me 2 find out wether i was successful?

aileenli

HSC
arghhh!!! i just got offered an interview at big w - on my graduation day!!! stupid woman calls me up asking if i can go for an interview tomorrow. What sort of inconsiderate firm would call a person up at the last minute and ask them to miss their graduation???

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
lol. You dont graduate to work at big w do you? :p

na seriously, which store are u applying for? most are really flexible and they will make separate arrangements for you.

purplegirl

HSC
hey my group interviews on wednesday for highpoint do u have lots of people watching a group or like one person walking around to see different groups and how they work. How many people interview you at the single interview and how many people generally turn up to the group interviews?
thanks for the answers!

Last edited:

"Chubby"

HSC
anyone here works at big w neeta city??

...that's where i used to work hehehe

Amalthea

HSC
Chubby said:
anyone here works at big w neeta city??

...that's where i used to work hehehe

Yeah, I work there now. I’m a check-out chic. The interview was the easiest thing ever. It was a group interview, you just need to speak up and make sure the people notice you.

"Chubby"

HSC
Amalthea said:
Yeah, I work there now. I’m a check-out chic. The interview was the easiest thing ever. It was a group interview, you just need to speak up and make sure the people notice you.
maybe i know who you are....hmmm...lol...ahahaha

when i was there, i had a one on one interview....something that i would much prefer over group interviews

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
i went to campsie big W 2wks ago. It was a group interview.

yesterday i received a call from them that i was successful for further interview, but i jus recently got a job in GJ :D

too late. they took too long. GJ was fast n easy.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Ahhh!!! I work at big W, all I had to do was rock up to an individual interview and I got the job in like 5 minutes!!

Course, it was 2 years ago. I think it was like a month before they started doing the group interview thing.

"Chubby"

HSC
congrats!!! u'll enjoy the discount card even though it's only 5% lol

i'm suprised u got it in like 5 min...!!!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Chubby said:
congrats!!! u'll enjoy the discount card even though it's only 5% lol

i'm suprised u got it in like 5 min...!!!
i miss my discount card :(

"Chubby"

HSC
Eagles said:
i miss my discount card :(
oh my god...i miss mine as well lol

gangles mcgee: after 8 months? thats pretty long...i think i got mine within the first month...actually to be honest with u i don't remember but i did get it pretty early...

Borbor

HSC
Congratulations on being selected to attend a Group Assessment for the position at Big W Macquarie store.

Your Group Assessment has been scheduled for:

Date: Friday 20/10/06
Time: 4pm - 6pm (2 hour duration)
Address: Big W Macquarie, Waterloo Road North Ryde - we will be meeting in front of layby
Special Instructions: Please contact Rosalynn on 9742 1100 if you will or will not be attending by Wednesday 18/10/06. If you will be attending please bring with you 2 professional referee contact details (or if you're still at school your most recent school report card)

It is important that you arrive 5-10 minutes earlier than the scheduled time so the facilitator can gather any information missing from your application if needed.

BIG W conduct Group Assessments, as they are a more reliable assessment tool than traditional one-on-one interviewing. This is because all candidates are completing the same activities at the same time. As part of the group assessment process, we also have observers. Their role is to watch and record behaviors of 4-5 candidates each, to ensure that everyone is observed fairly. In addition, candidates can be observed by more than one person during the assessment, which makes the process more objective and eliminated value judgements.

The entire process will take approximately 2 hours. During this time, you will cover

• [*] Three activities — which you will be working individually, in pairs, and in small groups.
    [*] The final part of the process is a short one-on-one interview
Ack! I got an interview and I'm scared shitless, first job interview, no work experience, just turned legal age limit last month. Ack! Very nervous at the moment. It's a Chirstmas casual I applied for 2 weeks ago? so now I'm glad but scared at the same time :confused:, anyone care to share any words of wisdom?

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Be yourself.

Just try to maximise the your availability to work when they ask for it...it increases your chances I suppose. Take a deep breath then speak SLOWLY (people have a tendency to pace when they're nervous...this comes from being a performer). Of course, be reasonable!

Otherwise, you'll be fine!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Borbor said:
Congratulations on being selected to attend a Group Assessment for the position at Big W Macquarie store.

Your Group Assessment has been scheduled for:

Date: Friday 20/10/06
Time: 4pm - 6pm (2 hour duration)
Address: Big W Macquarie, Waterloo Road North Ryde - we will be meeting in front of layby
Special Instructions: Please contact Rosalynn on 9742 1100 if you will or will not be attending by Wednesday 18/10/06. If you will be attending please bring with you 2 professional referee contact details (or if you're still at school your most recent school report card)

It is important that you arrive 5-10 minutes earlier than the scheduled time so the facilitator can gather any information missing from your application if needed.

BIG W conduct Group Assessments, as they are a more reliable assessment tool than traditional one-on-one interviewing. This is because all candidates are completing the same activities at the same time. As part of the group assessment process, we also have observers. Their role is to watch and record behaviors of 4-5 candidates each, to ensure that everyone is observed fairly. In addition, candidates can be observed by more than one person during the assessment, which makes the process more objective and eliminated value judgements.

The entire process will take approximately 2 hours. During this time, you will cover

• [*] Three activities — which you will be working individually, in pairs, and in small groups.
    [*] The final part of the process is a short one-on-one interview
Ack! I got an interview and I'm scared shitless, first job interview, no work experience, just turned legal age limit last month. Ack! Very nervous at the moment. It's a Chirstmas casual I applied for 2 weeks ago? so now I'm glad but scared at the same time :confused:, anyone care to share any words of wisdom?
1. Introduce the person next to you. Basically it doeesn't matter what u say about them, just get as much as u can down in the time u get.

2. Putting a list of tasks in order of priority. Not difficult.

3. Sales pitch for a stupid product (eg. a whistle, a raincoat...) most of my group were nervous 14 year olds so I grabbed the product and made funny stuff up on the spot. Probably not the best way, but the idea is to stand out, like, it's better to say something dumb than stand there all quiet.

The one-on-one interview: The easiest interview you'll ever do, seriously, the questions aren't very probing or interrogation-like. Over the Christmas period your availability is like the most important thing.

*starts his 1st shift in 1.5 hours* :D

Borbor

HSC
haha thanks guys and lol! I'm one of thosnervous 14 year olds :p

but I do have another question, do you think it's OK if I wear school uniform to the interview? cause 4 is a bit rushed for and if so do you think I should wear my blazer or will that look do stuck up?

Last edited:

"Chubby"

HSC
ive met rosalyn before. She's very nice. Before i got my job at big w, i wasn't asked to attend a group assesment so i wish borber the very best of luck :)

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
when i had my interview...i thinking the guy interviewing me was more nervous than me!! he was kinda young!!

he just asked me what kind of things i used to do at my old job, what i liked about working there, why i think i would make a good big w employee

...AND... the strangest q. ive ever been asked in a job interivew: "Whats the nicest thing you've done for someone in the past 2 weeks?"

i didnt expect it...so i had make something up! :S

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Seems like Big W is on hiring spree.

Do you have to bring reference letter or just referee contact details at the interview?

the emails says ,"If you will be attending we will need you to bring 2 professional referee contact details, or if you're still at school, your school report card, otherwise we will not be able to progress your application any further."

I am wondering whether to bring just the contact details or with the letter of reference?

Last edited:

Borbor

HSC
how do you think I shoukd dress then?

I was thinking some black trackies with a black button up shirt too dressy? help needed ! :(

Nevermind I'm gonna wear my school uniform even though it's against gangles.mcgee's words :D, the big w website said it was fine

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)