Biggest barrier (2 Viewers)

HSC
Uni Grad
the fact 3u maths is almost beyond my comprehension and understanding.

bleu

HSC
gouge.away said:
But the good thing is that I don't really procrastinate anymore after a friend told me about a girl who was so stressed about her HSC that she committed suicide by sticking two pencils up her nose and smashing her face down onto her desk.
yeah i heard about that. I was so shocked. Its terrible. I hope its not true. Can anyone verify it?

My biggest barrier would be having too high expectations of myself. The fear of not doing well enough, of not meeting those expectations can put me into a state of paralysis when it comes to doing schoolowork. Cos i'm afraid what i do won't be good enough.

Kinda stupid, i know. I mean, once i start the work i feel more confident and its all cool most of the time. :p

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hmmm I have a habit of being on msn everytime I should be studying or doing an assignment. Its my procrastination tool when I have to use the computer for any school related work.
Other than that its all time related, balancing soccer, mock trial and extension classes after school seem to put me out of a studying mood.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Just after seeing that the story about the girl and the pencils has caused some disturbance, there are some things I would like to clarify:

a) There was no intention of trying to gratuitously exploit its shock value

b) It should be viewed as a precautionary tale - not trying to undermine its seriousness, but things like this do happen

c) For some people whose futures rely heavily on their education and getting really down about their mediocre grades but are not putting in enough work (e.g. me), if something like this can change my outlook for the better and maybe someone else's, so be it

I apologise if it seemed really insensitive

PS: my username is a Pixies song and the signature is a quote from the drill sergeant to Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket, for that person who asked

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
for somebody who has been in Australia < 3 years, your typed english is exceptionally good.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
boris said:
for somebody who has been in Australia < 3 years, your typed english is exceptionally good.
Erm if you're referring to me, I was born in Australia and English is my first language. Don't know where you came up with that

maddy.topaz

HSC
Money:

I live with my mum and we've never really had that much. We don't have the internet (I'm at the library) or a car, in fact we don't even have a tv, lol. I know it sounds insignificant but it just makes life really hard. I have like, a 30 minute walk to and from school everyday (and it's uphill). Just the little things that mean more time and planning etc.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
maddy.topaz said:
Money:

I live with my mum and we've never really had that much. We don't have the internet (I'm at the library) or a car, in fact we don't even have a tv, lol. I know it sounds insignificant but it just makes life really hard. I have like, a 30 minute walk to and from school everyday (and it's uphill). Just the little things that mean more time and planning etc.
Thats very hard, no having internet at home. TV... i don't watch TV unless i have foxtel, and i don't have that anymore... :(. I also don't like taking long times to get to school (over an hour for me), sometimes, it's just not worth it. I learn next to nothing, and i've wasted so much time that could have been better spent playing final fantasy crisis core. (I have a psp.)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
maddy.topaz said:
Money:

That is truly inspiring. I wish you every luck and you deserve it. I truly believe that you can achieve your UAI goal, get scholarship and excel in the field that you truly loved to be involved in. I nearly cried reading it (nearly, not quite).

And that teaches me something. I suddenly feel that I shouldn't complain about not having much luxuries and other things. That also tells me that I really need to put my fingers out and do some work.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
That is truly inspiring. I wish you every luck and you deserve it. I truly believe that you can achieve your UAI goal, get scholarship and excel in the field that you truly loved to be involved in. I nearly cried reading it (nearly, not quite).

And that teaches me something. I suddenly feel that I shouldn't complain about not having much luxuries and other things. That also tells me that I really need to put my fingers out and do some work.
that sums up my thoughts perfectly - on the bright side maddy, technology can definitely turn against you - cars/buses breaking down the day your assignments/exams are on and probably even worse - addictions to television and the internet

you'll be fine :)

boris

Banned
HSC
gouge.away said:
Erm if you're referring to me, I was born in Australia and English is my first language. Don't know where you came up with that
the OP doofus

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
boris said:
Appreciate your compliment. However, what really happens is: the more I learn, the more I NEED to learn. There is just no end to it.

My desire and love for English drives me further towards the goal of getting Band 6 in English (even though it looks extremely bleak at this stage).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu, you've only been in australia for 3 years... yet it seems like you're better than me at english, even though I was born here.

You're really smart :D.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
lyounamu, you've only been in australia for 3 years... yet it seems like you're better than me at english, even though I was born here.

You're really smart :D.
No way!!! :wave:

Let's get into serious mode, shall we???

I think we all established that I am only IMPROVING so far. I have just fluked in some exams where I put ridiculous amount of work in. I have obviously escaped from "confusion stage" and I currently reside in "learning stage" and my goal is hopefully "band 5/6 stage".

Foram, I am truly aware of your natural talent that no other person in BOS possess. It is up to you to utilise that talent to produce the best result. Having said that, there is no space for doubt in my mind that you will indeed produce some solid results that suit your talent and hard-work.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:

I wish I was sympathetic like you Lyounamu :). That also teaches me something as well. There are many others who are not lucky like some of us who don't have luxuries and wants, but instead, they only have needs in order to survive, and yet, they try to enjoy life in every possible way.

All the best Maddy.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
It was internet procrastination.
However i got rid of msn/myspace.

So now my main problem is motivation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)