Biggest barrier (2 Viewers)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What is the biggest barrier/competitor that is in your way of excelling in particular subjects?

Maths: most competition ever. Both very unfortunate and fortunate to have genius in my year who never fails to achieve 100% or even (98-99%).

Chemistry: same kid who got 97% in Chemistry exam. Cannot talk bad about him since he is my best mate.

English: due to relatively small amount of time that I was in Australia, English doesn't seem to be my best subject. Oh well, this is not a good excuse, is it?

For other subjects, I am either first or excelling way above other students. Need to try harder in above subjects.

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC
lyounamu said:
What is the biggest barrier/competitor that is in your way of excelling in particular subjects?
BOS procrastination.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Muz4PM said:
lyounamu said:
quote]

BOS procrastination.
Lol. That's a good one.

Then, you should try reducing the amount of time you spend on BOS.

Muz4PM

HSC
lyounamu said:
Lol. That's a good one.

Then, you should try reducing the amount of time you spend on BOS.
Although I did say it with a considerable amount of tounge in cheek, I intend on reducing my online time.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
mle43 said:
major lack of motivation.
i figure what the hell, the hsc isnt for another 6 months, ill get round to studying eventually..
also. studying isnt fun. i think thats pretty much the main factor.
oh. and i have no idea what to do after school. im thinking uni, but thats about as specific as it gets..
Same. Sometimes the motivation isn't there during critical times of the term...

bored of sc

HSC
the ability to understand concepts/topics before you move on to the next topic - permutations is so HARD for me - lucky we are still on it :) time to understand it

also, as you've said super smart, consistent, motivated kids - one chick in my grade never gets below an A - if she does she is still ranked in the top 3 in the class - but yeah, she deserves it all

bored of sc

HSC
mle43 said:
major lack of motivation.
i figure what the hell, the hsc isnt for another 6 months, ill get round to studying eventually..
also. studying isnt fun. i think thats pretty much the main factor.
oh. and i have no idea what to do after school. im thinking uni, but thats about as specific as it gets..
true that - where can I join this club of the kids with unknown future plans?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
  1. Lack of confidence while stress and panic levels rise if something is not understood.
  2. Regretting that you procrastinated, then getting angry at yourself.
  3. Lack of motivation. Sometimes, I don't study often. Sometimes, I study really hard. This is due to a lack of motivation and laziness.
  4. NOT REVISING. I do write notes, but I don't look at them daily. I tend to think that there's no point in reading them, because they don't seem to 'automatically' go into your hand, thinking it's a pure waste of time. I have to definitely get this out of my head.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Stress.
Procrastination.

Goddamn. :(

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Procrastination and being lazy probably. :)

Sometimes the teacher could explain things abit better though, because having to learn a whole concept by yourself from a textbook takes alot of time. :(

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
For me, it would have to be over-confidence and carelessness.

I lost half-a-mark in chemistry because I forgot to put units after density. So I ended up with 17.5/18, which was pretty dissapointing. It has a weighting of 15%, so if I get full marks in all the other tests, i'll be fine. My mum insisted I get the dot-point chemistry books after I told her about them, so now I have both the Prelim and HSC Dot Point Chemistry books. :)

For physics, I'm sure I didn't put units on anything, so I'm going to loose so many marks, even getting everything right won't do any good. It really pains me because it has a weighting of 15%, so unless I get about 100% in everything else, I may have trouble getting a final mark over 90%. :(

For math, the biggest barrier is the person in top place. She's proberbly done every question in the cambridge books, and she redo's the entire chaper if we have a test on that topic. I couldn't believe it when I first heard about it from one of her friends, not even I could do all the extention questions! Normally, I just start cramming a week before the test with the Understanding Yr 11/12 Math Study guides. The questions in those are nice and easy, and there aren't many. Also, the topic is very clearly outlined, so revision is extremely quick and effective.

Economics... I'm terrible at group assignments. It must be my awesomeness at social interactions. My marks are only average so far, but I intend to come first or second in the economics test. It will be sometime early next term, so i'll just cram a few days before or something.

For english, I really have no excuse. I was made in Australia, and i've lived here my whole life. Maybe the english teachers just hate me, because I might have said something nasty about them while they were nearby... i'm so doomed. Like Aerath said, I shouldn't blame the teachers, its proberbly my fault. Right now, as a stratagy, I'm training myself to think like a girl (emotional and empathetic) during english lessons, and maybe I can get a hold of some mind altering drugs, to give myself new and creative/unique perspectives when I do english assessments. But those may be banned, it'll be like performance enhancing drugs. I'm sure if I try really really hard, i'll get high 80's or low 90's in english.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
wheres my english problem? forgetting units in physics is unrelated to my english mark. you didn't have to quote my problems in physics when talking about my english problem.

michael1990

HSC
Without MSN and such, BOS has become my new procrastination tool.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
I've lost my touch with words and structure in general. In year 7-10 I had no problems with the standard of my work and structure was so inherent in everything, but now even my famously large vocabulary is beginning to fail me. Nothing really flows anymore.

But the good thing is that I don't really procrastinate anymore after a friend told me about a girl who was so stressed about her HSC that she committed suicide by sticking two pencils up her nose and smashing her face down onto her desk.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is that what inspired your BoS moniker? :\

But er...thanks for sharing that story with us. Guess that makes me not wanna procrastinate ever again. :(

hairspray

HSC
the biggest barrier for me is probably being able to fit EVERYTHING into certain time frames... ><

and i have this guy whose in ALL of my classes except for one...so he's my competitor!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
hairspray said:
the biggest barrier for me is probably being able to fit EVERYTHING into certain time frames... ><

and i have this guy whose in ALL of my classes except for one...so he's my competitor!
I had never realised but I have this quiet chick who's in all of my classes :).

gouge.away said:
sticking two pencils up her nose and smashing her face down onto her desk.
...Thanks for sharing?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Really disturbing and depressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)