Binomial Probability (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting the last part of this question. Fitzpatrick (3u) - Ex. 29b. q. 6 part iii. It is known that in the long run 7 out of 10 students of Year 12 will enter university. Assuming a binomial distribution, find the probability that out of a group of 5 students chosen at random from this group (iii) only the first 3 chosen will enter.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Hey guess, I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting the last part of this question. Fitzpatrick (3u) - Ex. 29b. q. 6 part iii. It is known that in the long run 7 out of 10 students of Year 12 will enter university. Assuming a binomial distribution, find the probability that out of a group of 5 students chosen at random from this group (iii) only the first 3 chosen will enter.

Thanks in advance guys.
I think its just (7/10)^3 x (3/10)^2, it's a convoluted Q

The fact that there choosing the first 3 takes away the combination part i think, If it was any 3 of the 5 then it would be 5C3 x 7/10)^3 x (3/10)^2

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
hey guess, i'm having a bit of trouble interpreting the last part of this question. fitzpatrick (3u) - ex. 29b. Q. 6 part iii. It is known that in the long run 7 out of 10 students of year 12 will enter university. Assuming a binomial distribution, find the probability that out of a group of 5 students chosen at random from this group (iii) only the first 3 chosen will enter.

thanks in advance guys.
(7/10)^3 (3/10)^2

since it says only the FIRST 3 will enter u dont need binomials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)