Binomial Theorem Questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hiya,

I have a few BT questions which I'm not able to complete. They're probably pretty straightforward.

1) In the expansion of (1+x)^20 in ascending order of x show that there are two successive terms with the same coefficient, which is the greatest of any of the coefficients.

2) Prove that in the expansion of (1+2x)^9, when x = 1/3, there are two greatest terms.

---------

3) By equating the coefficient of x^r on each side of the identities:
(1+x)^(n+1) = (1+x)(1+x)^n and (1+x)^(n+2) = (1+x)^2(1+x)^n
show that n+1Cr = nCr + nCr-1 and n+2Cr = nCr + 2(nCr-1) + nCr-2

Thanks in advance.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
I wish i could care enough t do them, but honestly i cant.

Also, I would need to write it on paper and scan, or use latex, because all the typing will be impossible to understand, and im to lazy for that

Aindan

HSC
1) is incorrect. In your calculator type 20C9,20C10, 20C11. There is only one greatest coefficient.
2) Expand using binomial, you should get 9 terms, Sub x = 1/3. and you get teh result. It's a lot of calculator work...
3) Expand using binomials for each part. for example: (1+x)^n = 1 + nC1x + nC2 x^2 +...+ nC(r-1)x^r-1 + nCr x^r+...+x^n. Pay close attention to the values which will multiply to get x^r. Then compare the coefficients of x^r on LHS and RHS and you should get the two results. THe second proving question is just an expansion of the first.

Last edited:

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
^ lols, there is a much eaisesr way of doing number 2, you dont evaluate all the coefficents , lol thats just stupid

HSC
1) is incorrect. In your calculator type 20C9,20C10, 20C11. There is only one greater coefficient.
2) Expand using binomial, you should get 9 terms, Sub x = 1/3. and you get teh result. It's a lot of calculator work...
3) Expand using binomials for each part. for example: (1+x)^n = 1 + nC1x + nC2 x^2 +...+ nC(r-1)x^r-1 + nCr x^r+...+x^n. Pay close attention to the values which will multiple to get x^r. Then compare the coefficients of x^r on LHS and RHS and you should get the two results. THe second proving question is just an expansion of the first.
Thanks Aindan. The wording of question 1 threw me off... It just didn't make any sense.

Last edited:
HSC
1) is incorrect. In your calculator type 20C9,20C10, 20C11. There is only one greater coefficient.
3) Expand using binomials for each part. for example: (1+x)^n = 1 + nC1x + nC2 x^2 +...+ nC(r-1)x^r-1 + nCr x^r+...+x^n. Pay close attention to the values which will multiple to get x^r. Then compare the coefficients of x^r on LHS and RHS and you should get the two results. THe second proving question is just an expansion of the first.
Double post.

---

Yah, the second one has a quicker method, but I don't mind the expansion if I've got the time.

Last edited:

Aindan

HSC
I'm quite rusty, haven't touched 3unit in 4-5 months. Did you use the T(r+1)/T(r) = (n-r+1)/r?

Aindan

HSC
But even if you did get R < 5. How would you know taht by subbing in x = 1/3 you would get the greatest numerical answer. Because x^3 and x^4. If x = 1/3. the total answer of x^3 is 3 times greater than x^4 now.

HSC
But even if you did get R < 5. How would you know taht by subbing in x = 1/3 you would get the greatest numerical answer. Because x^3 and x^4. If x = 1/3. the total answer of x^3 is 3 times greater than x^4 now.
Subs. r = 3 and r = 4 into T(r+1) and you get the same solution. But it's got me thinking as well... Something to ask my teacher tomorrow I guess.

hscishard

HSC
The coeffiecients are different. It could be 8x^3 and 2x^4

hscishard

HSC
It doesn't really matter. All you're trying to do if to find the greatest term. It would be obvious that if r is a positive integer, there are two greatest terms/coeffiecients. That is why I prefer the =

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)