Binomial Theorem (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
EDIT: you compare coeffiecents of t^(2r). Can't be bothered, it's midnight.

Also, this is from the 2007 Catholic Trial HSC. If you have this question , you would already have the solution.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
LHS = (nC0-nC1 t + nC2 t^2 -nC3 t^3 +nC4 t^4 - ...... +nCn (-t)^n) (nC0+nC1 t +nC2 t^2 + ....+ nCn t^n)

Coefficent of t^2 = nC0 nCn -nC1 nCn-1 +nC2 nCn-2 - .....

Last edited:

goobi

HSC
Thanks Carrotsticks :)
This probably sounds very stupid but I wonder how you multiply the two summations in the first line (as I haven't learnt it yet). Shouldn't the term be squared also?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This probably sounds very stupid but I wonder how you multiply the two summations in the first line (as I haven't learnt it yet). Shouldn't the term be squared also?
That does not sound stupid at all.

I didn't actually multiply the two summations explicitly, that would have been FAR too tedious and long. Which C(n,k) did you think should be squared? I ask this because I have a couple up there. Were you referring to the C(n,k) from the expansion of (1-t^2)^n?

All I did in the first line was write both of the series out in Sigma notation because I personally prefer Sigma notation over expanded notation (although occasionally expanded form has its advantages) and I wanted to express both series in a more 'compact' form (not to be confused with 'closed form').

All I did was pick out the necessary terms that yield t^2r.

ie: t^0 x t^2r = t^2r etc

And by doing so, we of course multiply the coefficients, which is exactly what I did after the ===> symbol.

goobi

HSC
That does not sound stupid at all.

I didn't actually multiply the two summations explicitly, that would have been FAR too tedious and long. Which C(n,k) did you think should be squared? I ask this because I have a couple up there. Were you referring to the C(n,k) from the expansion of (1-t^2)^n?

All I did in the first line was write both of the series out in Sigma notation because I personally prefer Sigma notation over expanded notation (although occasionally expanded form has its advantages) and I wanted to express both series in a more 'compact' form (not to be confused with 'closed form').

All I did was pick out the necessary terms that yield t^2r.

ie: t^0 x t^2r = t^2r etc

And by doing so, we of course multiply the coefficients, which is exactly what I did after the ===> symbol.
I was referring to the C(n,k) from the expansion of L.H.S.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, it should not be squared.

I didn't actually multiply the two terms, hence it is not squared.

Even if I did multiply the two terms, it would be incorrect to say [C(n,k)]^2 because k is the 'bound variable'.

That's like me saying:

Which is most certainly incorrect.

goobi

HSC
No, it should not be squared.

I didn't actually multiply the two terms, hence it is not squared.

Even if I did multiply the two terms, it would be incorrect to say [C(n,k)]^2 because k is the 'bound variable'.

That's like me saying:

Which is most certainly incorrect.
So how did you get t^2k in the first line then if you "didn't actually multiply the two terms"? That's what confuses me :(

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
EDIT: you compare coeffiecents of t^(2r). Can't be bothered, it's midnight.

Also, this is from the 2007 Catholic Trial HSC. If you have this question , you would already have the solution.
Not necessarily. What if OP was given the question from his/her teacher in a revision booklet or something as such?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Goobi pls

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Um...looking at the first line of Carrotstick's solutions, the expansion should look like this:

then you examine every combination of i + j = 2r...

The reason for that you can multiply the terms together is because you are effectively multiplying two general terms together when you expand the thing manually and finding every variation of i + j where i = {0, 1, .... , n} and j = {0, 1, .... , n}. Another way to see this is to note that in general, the double sigma means that

Note that the term in the brackets do not vary with each j so it can be factored out of the sum so we get

Now we can look at the sum outside as we vary i. Notice that the other summation term with j's in the square brackets does not change as we vary i, so we can factorise it outside the sum.

Now it should be clear that this leads to

Last edited:

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
I am confused Trebla. Is the above relevant to the question, or is it just to demonstrate to goobi what happens when you multiply two summations?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I am confused Trebla. Is the above relevant to the question, or is it just to demonstrate to goobi what happens when you multiply two summations?
The latter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)