Biology vs. Economics (1 Viewer)

kyokaku92

HSC
For starters, why would you succumb to pressure from others into picking a subject? I cannot comment on either since I do not do any of those subjects, but my friends tell me ecos is really hard and you have to look up the news on anything regarding the share markets, economy etc.etc and I hear bio is good in yr 12 but it is your on choice.

xzkevinzx

HSC
I currently do both these subjects and they are both very interesting do both lol

Schoey93

HSC
The opening post asked for 'advice' and 'experiences'. Not bullshit-pulled-out-of-the-thin-air-heard-from-my-eighteenth-cousin-chinese-whispers-and-now-passed-on-as-facts opinion. *shrug*
I do Biology. I have experienced it. Do you enjoy being rude to me? Do you try to find any reason you can to upset me?

I have experienced the economy. I have experienced banks charging ridiculous ATM access fees, inflated interest rates and big business ripping off the little guy. I have experienced my divorced parents quarrelling over money (ie child support) and abusing each other because of money. I haven't studied economics, but from what I understand, the existence of money makes the average Joe a slave to paper for his whole life while he works for 'the man' (government).

Economics is probably an interesting subject. I am interested in how money influences human behaviour. But I don't want to study economies, because their existence is paralysing.

The OP may be more interested in economics than me and may detest money less. If this is the case, he or she should study economics, as he is uninterested in biology.

Last edited:

Matt2233

HSC
I do Biology. I have experienced it. Do you enjoy being rude to me? Do you try to find any reason you can to upset me?

I have experienced the economy. I have experienced banks charging ridiculous ATM access fees, inflated interest rates and big business ripping off the little guy. I have experienced my divorced parents quarrelling over money (ie child support) and abusing each other because of money. I haven't studied economics, but from what I understand, the existence of money makes the average Joe a slave to paper for his whole life while he works for 'the man' (government).

Economics is probably an interesting subject. I am interested in how money influences human behaviour. But I don't want to study economies, because their existence is paralysing.

The OP may be more interested in economics than me and may detest money less. If this is the case, he or she should study economics, as he is uninterested in biology.

I wouldn't call 3 weeks of prelim 'experiencing' a subject. You need to actually complete a few topics and study for a test before you really know what its about.

Also, your knowledge of the economy from the things you mentioned arnt a good indicator on HSC economics. Actually learning a subject in school and reading tidbits about it in real life are two very different things.

bio_nut

HSC
Bio gets soooo much better in Year 12. SO much. It's also an easy band 6, depending what you're aiming for.

But go with what you're more interested in for sure! I love bio and knew it was going to get better the next year, but if you have no real interest in the subject, I would suggest finding something you have more of a passion for!

rOyalDuck

HSC
I hated Year 11 Biology. Year 12 is much more interesting, like you said. Difficulty aside, at the end of the day it's just straight out memorization. If you can't remember shitloads of information, or understand all the concepts (Bio's pretty heavy), don't do it. You'll struggle.
i agree bio has alot of content to understand and memorise; as for which subject to choose i'd say go with what you're interested in. It'll be your interest that'll pull you through and give you motivation to learn.

Schoey93

HSC
I wouldn't call 3 weeks of prelim 'experiencing' a subject. You need to actually complete a few topics and study for a test before you really know what its about.

Also, your knowledge of the economy from the things you mentioned arnt a good indicator on HSC economics. Actually learning a subject in school and reading tidbits about it in real life are two very different things.
Are subjects about tests? No. I study the subjects I do because I am interested in them, not to get a buzz from doing well in tests.

The next mistake in your post is that you have misinterpreted what I said about the economy. My opinion is not based on 'reading tidbits'. It is based on my actual life experience of the economy. Money drove my parents apart.

You don't understand. You're yet another person who enjoys criticising people and watching them squeal.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are subjects about tests? No. I study the subjects I do because I am interested in them, not to get a buzz from doing well in tests.

The next mistake in your post is that you have misinterpreted what I said about the economy. My opinion is not based on 'reading tidbits'. It is based on my actual life experience of the economy. Money drove my parents apart.

You don't understand. You're yet another person who enjoys criticising people and watching them squeal.

umm domestic financial issues hardly resemble the complexities of economics

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A

I didn't say that!

Where and when did I say that OR 'my opinion is the most authoritative guide in the universe on life issues'?
you talk as if your life provides no opportunity for anyone else to empathise with.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I do Biology. I have experienced it.
You've done three weeks of Preliminary. Yet you're giving advice and creating threads in the Biology forum: "What is the most interesting Bio option?" etc etc

As postnatal said, this isn't Economics.

Last edited:

BreeF

HSC
I started prelim doing biology purely because i thought it would be handy having a science under my belt. After one lesson i knew i couldn't do it for 2 years, i hated science, didn't know why i chose it to begin with. I didn't have many options of what to change to so in the end i picked economics, not knowing what it was about really.
I now LOVE economics. I love it so much. Such a practical subject that actually gives your knowledge you will use in the future whether you know it or not.
Do economics <3 <3 <3

Schoey93

HSC
You've done three weeks of Preliminary. Yet you're giving advice and creating threads in the Biology forum: "What is the most interesting Bio option?" etc etc

As postnatal said, this isn't Economics.
Creating a thread called "What is the most interesting Biology option?" is harmless. I created that thread so that I would know which option to ask for this year in November. I created it to gain a broad understanding of what is involved in each option topic. I also created that thread last year. It isn't a recent example.

I'm leaving BOS. I hope that you have a fun party to celebrate. Goodbye.

Schoey93

HSC
Not at all. I'm sure that your life sucks, whoever you are. Lol. My life doesn't suck. I get to do things other people don't get to experience. I have fun.

How's your life?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh yeah...the topic.

Um to be honest, OP, follow your strengths. Key considerations for course choices should be (in order of importance):
1. What do you enjoy most?
2. What do you do well in?
3. What do you need for University? What careers etc do you wanna pursue?
4. Scaling

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
Not at all. I'm sure that your life sucks, whoever you are. Lol. My life doesn't suck. I get to do things other people don't get to experience. I have fun.

How's your life?
i guard a bridge how do you think my life is?

bio_nut

HSC

How's your life?
Didn't you just say you were leaving?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)