• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

biology vs physics vs chemistry (1 Viewer)

with-chu

HSC
Biology, I've been wanting to drop since term 2 and I can't wait to be rid of it. Ridiculously content-based... Everything is just retention - retention - retention. Seriously... every single lesson I found myself grudging through my book and I had absolutely no motivation. Not my thing at all.

Physics is meh.... don't really hate it but nothing about it really excites me. I'm kinda scared about HSC physics now... Screwed the prelim yearly a little bit :(

Chemistry is the bomb! Can't wait to start learning the HSC stuff. I enjoyed chem lessons the most out of all my subjects in prelim :D

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Physics=Chemistry>Biology

Physics is really theoretical and interesting (particularly space and waves), chemistry has the best experiments, the reactions are interesting to learn about and chemistry is pretty much the basis of many aspects in physics and biology anyway)

Don't do biology so I can't really judge it but it doesn't sound as interesting, fun and useful as physics and chemistry, although I could be wrong.

Last edited:

nonsenseTM

HSC
bio-Lots of memorising, scales the worst (see http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2008_table_A3.pdf, chem>phys>bio)

phys-woud be better if there is more maths in it, but alright overall

chem- fun and scales the best of the three

also check the teacher you're getting coz it does matter, considering a bad teacher would drag you performance and probably, ruin 1/6 of your time at school!!

asymptotic

HSC
yeah bio scales the worst lol

probably cos out of the people who do chem phys and bio, bio people are the 'dumbest' according to UAC

HSC
Chem>Physics>Bio

Chem is kinda interesting, physics is interesting but I have it when I have double maths so kinda cbf more maths and bio just fails.

Finx

HSC
Year 11: Chem > Physics > Bio
Year 12: Physics > Bio > Chem

Chemistry is a fuckload of concept and content for Year 12. Bio's pure content, and physics is a somewhat interesting mix between concept and content.

Year 12 Physics: 15% maths, 85% content.
Year 12 Chemistry: 10% maths, 90% content.

HSC
bio-Lots of memorising, scales the worst (see http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2008_table_A3.pdf, chem>phys>bio)

phys-woud be better if there is more maths in it, but alright overall

chem- fun and scales the best of the three

also check the teacher you're getting coz it does matter, considering a bad teacher would drag you performance and probably, ruin 1/6 of your time at school!!
im sorry this is going to sound extremly stupid of me haha but i just had a quick glance at that table in that link you provided. does that mean that the majority of subjects scale down?
haha im majorly confused...because from my quick browse the only 2 that didnt scale down were maths ext 1 (which stayed the same anyway) amd maths ext 2.

miryan

HSC
N/A
I like biology the best- because it's the most interesting for me.

Chemistry's alright... its pretty boring for me though- who gives a damn about rust? Also our teacher makes a course which is supposed to be 15% calculations highly mathematical. Some memory work but once again not hard. For me and others who aren't very mathematical, but more english- humanities based, study time is best spent practicing all the calculation questions you can get your hands on- moles, mole ratios, molarity, concentration, dilution of solutions, conservation of matter etc. Our whole class sucks- I'm coming second in the class with 79%.

Lots of memorizing in biology, but if you actually listen in class it's not difficult. Some principle concepts must be understood (beginning in prelim) to succeed in exams- such as osmosis and diffusion, which continue to arise in exams. Prelim's pretty dry, with an emphasis on evolution, plants and rocks. Year 12 looks great though- dealing with the human body and its response to the environment, organ systems, hormones etc., genetics and disease.

I don't do physics, but again it's highly mathematical.

All in all:
Physics +Chem= you need to have a special interest to succeed- very maths based.
Bio= fascinating in Yr 12 but you need to push through the crappy prelim course.

saberbladexx

HSC
im sorry this is going to sound extremly stupid of me haha but i just had a quick glance at that table in that link you provided. does that mean that the majority of subjects scale down?
haha im majorly confused...because from my quick browse the only 2 that didnt scale down were maths ext 1 (which stayed the same anyway) amd maths ext 2.
Yea, but the cool thing is to get say a 90 atar you need 74 scaled mark average across the 10units. =]

HSC
yeah all subjects scale down. some just scale down more than others.

hahaha

yeah 4unit scales up! wooot!!

but really, for any subject you gotta do well anyway
oh ok mad thankyou. thats pretty bad. my subjects dont scale very well :S
& yeah i agree :)

Yea, but the cool thing is to get say a 90 atar you need 74 scaled mark average across the 10units. =]
what?!? really?? that cant be right.....can it?

saberbladexx

HSC
^Yup, i put 74 because the Atar90 i presume requires lower aggrate XD.

In my experience and others who do 3 sciences, bio is the easier than the other two because the lack of competition. E.g me and my friend are both top 5 for bio but top 10 for chem.

Bio= Content
Chem= Understanding concepts
Phy=Using knowledge and applying it.

Finx

HSC
Sigh. People keep thinking Physics and Chemistry have a lot of maths in them.

The syllabus was changed in 2001 from these subjects being maths based to now being content based.

In chemistry there's literally about 3 formulas to remember. Compared to 2U/3U maths, that's nothing.

For physics, you actually don't remember any formulas. They're given to you in the exam. You pretty much just substitute values.

There's really not that much more content in bio than there is chemistry and physics.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
hahaha i dont quite understand those tables.
ok im still in shock so...is what i understand right? that if you get 70's in your subjects you can get an atar over 90?? :S :S :S
Nope, if you get subjects marks that equate to an average of 70s/100 SCALED you get an ATAR of 90 :p

saberbladexx

HSC
^Which is about getting mid 80s for an average scaling 2u subject, now it looks right :p.

The only maths is physics is substitution, but its what equation to use and how to use it makes the maths seem hard to people imo. :uhhuh:

HSC
^Which is about getting mid 80s for an average scaling 2u subject, now it looks right :p.

The only maths is physics is substitution, but its what equation to use and how to use it makes the maths seem hard to people imo. :uhhuh:
ah that makes it easier to understand thanks :)

baaylse

HSC
which subject is youre favourite or the best and why ?
i did all physics chemistry n biology last yr but i dropped biology for yr 12
biology is way too boring for me n i hate memorizing stuffs :p
n i like physics beta than chemistry cuz i like calculation :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)