Board of Studies reveals raw marks! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well $30 isnt that much when you think about it and it gives a better indication of how you went.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by nova
I wouldn't have normally pointed this out... but you're doing Law at uni and you didn't know that you had to pay to recieve information under the FOI act?

I only did legal studies at school for 3 terms in yr11 and I knew that!

:)
ahaha :p
well i've only been doing it for like 4-5 weeks.......LoLz......this is my first year!
but, mehhhh...... i actually got bored of studying long enuff to check out the relavent sections of the FOI ACT and yea..it says something about the requirement of $$$$$ just to access ur own personal information!

Laz, is there a possible avenue whereby i could challenge that as well in the AAT? :p :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
it gives a better indication of how you went.
This isn't true - the raw marks, by themselves, are not meaningful assessments of a student's performance. (This is why the Board goes through all of that aligning to standards business in the first place.) You need to cross-reference those raw marks with the actual examination paper, along with the marking guidelines for that paper, in order to be able to interpret them. Or you could ask for statewide statistics as well and interpret them within a normative framework.

That first point was painstakingly elucidated by the Board in its affidavits. :)

Originally posted by santaslayer
Laz, is there a possible avenue whereby i could challenge that as well in the AAT? :p :p
Uh. No. :)

However, I believe that you can have the fee halved or even waived if you can demonstrate that you're impecunious in some way.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Is this $30 for all your results or just one subject?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
Is this $30 for all your results or just one subject?
You receive a statement containing all of your raw marks.

Originally posted by Iunny
ok... so whats the point of getting ur raw marks?
You could have any number of reasons. Perhaps you're simply interested. There's obviously no reason to get them unless you actually want them.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Do they still charge you if they choose not to give your marks back?EDIT: What does BOS do if you don't sign that form saying you won't ask for your marks back

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Do they still charge you if they choose not to give your marks back?
Yes... though you can have the decision reviewed.

What does BOS do if you don't sign that form saying you won't ask for your marks back
There is no such form...

Jay

Hehehe...

i wish i thought of this one... so easy...

all you do is make up a few numbers and post them saying that you got your marks from the bos, include some sort of form with a $30 fee, and students obsessed by the hsc will start sending money to my house.... haha well done lazarus

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Next quest for Laz.... you should now request copies of your actual exam papers and responses. Surely that would come under FOI?

I'm seriously interested in finding out my raw marks now...

santaslayer

HSC
yea, id be interested to actually get my copy of all the exams i did in the hsc......

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I might do this

heh, Brent told me about this before..
King v Board of Studies NSW (2004)
how cool would that be

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
I'm still surprised that they stored your rew marks - I thought that they chuck eveything away at the end when you get your HSC certificates back - I still dont see a reason to alliend raw maks in the first place but hay at least LAZ got some work experience :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
I'm still surprised that they stored your rew marks - I thought that they chuck eveything away at the end when you get your HSC certificates back - I still dont see a reason to alliend raw maks in the first place but hay at least LAZ got some work experience :)

lol... if they chucked away everything, in the future if anybody had wanted to retrieve this data, where are they gonna be shitting it from? lol... and in this situation with Laz obtaining his raw marks, it shows that it is really important to keep everything all archived for any future use.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I might do this

heh, Brent told me about this before..
King v Board of Studies NSW (2004)
how cool would that be
Hahaha can I access it from Austlii? :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
isnt there sum sorta law that requires institutions/agencies/whateva to keep a copy of individuals records for a minimum of 7 yrs or asomething like that?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
Hahaha can I access it from Austlii? :p
ahaha......probably, if the case was actually initiated and resolved in court. and it would also of had to be sof significant importance (unprecedented) to be included in sum law reports.....

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
isnt there sum sorta law that requires institutions/agencies/whateva to keep a copy of individuals records for a minimum of 7 yrs or asomething like that?
Law ........................ like anyone really follows them :rolleyes: You people are the lawyers here, i'm only an observant!! ;)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
The student made a request under the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW).

The Board initially decided to deny the request and the student subsequently applied to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal for a review of that decision. During the course of those proceedings, the Board was given the opportunity to re-evaluate its position. The Board decided to vary its original decision (thereby avoiding the need for a formal hearing with the Tribunal) and allowed the student to access the requested documents.
hmmmm doesnt that mean everyone can claim to see their marks? coz what they do for one they should do for another
?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)