Boat People (2 Viewers)

Alexander

Gold Member
Has anyone seen that add for Cruger beer with the busty lass who made the guy order Cruger's instead of whatever? Well, she's from Canada and she spent time in Villawood detention centre for overstaying her visa. Yeeeeah.

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
Originally posted by SKA
yeh.... there is one thing u all havent thought about

the government couldnt give a crap about the australian people nor refugees.....they are all in it for themselves.... its their job.

this is going off topic a bit but
eg. the war with iraq... it was clear that australia didnt want to send its troops to iraq but mr. lil dicky johnny howard still sent them. n y??? to suck up to g.bush...and if iraq were to strike at us as well as america then what would happen??? america isnt gonna save australias arse wen they are too busy trying to save their own!

:argue:

profound...:)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by SKA
what does profound mean??
Showing great knowledge.

*cough cough cough*

I believe the topic is boat people, not the war in Iraq.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Showing great knowledge.

*cough cough cough*

like i sayed... its going off topic a bit... but still realtes ... coz i used it as an example of how fucked up the government is

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The problem with people stating that 'they should do it legally', is that in many cases, the refugees have no means of legal immigration. This is often prevented by the conditions within the nations themselves, with immigration being a portion of national infrastructures. Besides, if the refugee is attempting to escape governmental oppression, why would that selfsame government grant the right to immigrate from their landspace?

While not all 'boat people' are legitimate refugees, it is probable that a high amount are, as opposed to the image conveyed throughout much of society. What is interesting is that with the myth of immigrants taking jobs, 'dirtying' society (I have heard people express these opinions..Its scary) and so-on, is that the exact same 'justifications' were used to uphold the White Australia Policy.

At the very least, a more humane policy concerning refugees should be introduced, post-haste. The current policy merely alienates Australia from regional nations, and violates international law.

Rorix

HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
While not all 'boat people' are legitimate refugees, it is probable that a high amount are, as opposed to the image conveyed throughout much of society.
It's probable? And you base this probability upon what?

The current policy merely alienates Australia from regional nations, and violates international law.
Not at all, it's been responsible for a large amount of chat between Australia and Indonesia, if my memory serves me correctly. And I'm assuming (have no real idea) that the international 'law' we are breaking has not been signed & ratified by the Australian government, which would mean we are not doing anything illegal.

Rorix

HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1

See my Godwin's Law post in the media thread;).

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Godwin's Law is true. It happens all the time in Legal Studies and Modern History - Hitler or the Nazis are mentioned at least once per lesson for no apparent reason. It's awesome!

Rorix

HSC
You know, I doubt everyone knew what Godwin's Law was when reading my post. However, they probably put some effort into researching it (that is, if you call clicking on the first link in Google effort).

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Rorix
And I'm assuming (have no real idea) that the international 'law' we are breaking has not been signed & ratified by the Australian government, which would mean we are not doing anything illegal.
I realise you're assuming, but Australia was a signatory to the UN 1951 Refugee Convention.

Article 33 of this convention states;
1. No Contracting State shall expel or return (refouler) a refugee in any manner whatsoever to the frontiers of territories where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

In this case, at least some actions undertaken by the government would be illegal according to international law.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/11/1068329562459.html

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/s437778.htm

Rorix

HSC
The interpretation of that article seems rather subjective to me.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i believe boat people should be shipped out... if they have no money and don't speak english. its people like them that eats up all the tax payers money and becomes terriosts and criminals. we do not need them loosers in australia...

~Dreamer

HSC
that is a really pathetic generalisation abdoooo ... the majority arrive here to start a new life and live in peace, and there is the small minority who are reluctant and arrogant, however they should not be the main reflection of refugees... im not saying that we should keep all of them in australia and let them go easy, but rather tend to the problem. since we are a 'peace keeping country' , the millions of dollars of tax payers money spent on war, could be used to revitalise the degraded countries which cause its people to flee and rebel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)