Boat People (1 Viewer)

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
just wondering what ur opinions on boat people are???

do u think they should be allowed in the country
or should they be locked away in detention centres??

^___^
HSC
haha..

i get laughted at for being a boat person(i'm a chinese)

but yea...i think they should be let in if there are evidence that their home country is in a ruined..

but if its purely like "i'm rich, lets get outta here" kinda scenario..meh!

psycho_mushy

HSC
there's nothing wrong with china!

besides.. alot of chinese here are from hong kong and we came on bloody planes! the viets came in boats!

Generator

HSC
N/A
So did the anglos... :p

What is a refugee? If the courts and the government can finally reach a common point of view, then maybe the problem (of a few boats per year...) will be solved.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
The discussion will suffer without a definition of what exactly a boat person is. I'll assume this is relating to the Labor proposal that asylum seekers should have access to Medicare/employment and live in secure hostel housing while their applications are processed, which I disagree with. If someone is a genuine refugee, the conditions in the detention centres are almost certainly superior to the conditions which they left and in which they travelled to Australia. The wait in the detention centre will (most likely) not harm them and is necessary to secure asylum seekers while their claims are processed.

^___^
HSC
stfu

that was such a stupid comment...

statistic wise, apparently ppl from middle east(sorry for the direct call, but yea..sorry) has more ppl coming in boats than asians...

but maybe thats cos a lot of asians got passed

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
being the socially just person i am.. ive been to alot of seminars, plays and rallys and things with school so i should know what im talking about
australia lets in 1 refugee for every 10000 australians.. you might think hmm 20 million population thats alot of refugees.. its all good
tanzania (a country in africa) lets in 1 refugee for every 83 people there.. and i dont remember the population there but its still quite alot more than australia offers
also australia is the only place in the world to put refugees in detention.. all other places might have somewhere for them to stay (but they arent locked away with barbed wire) and slowly get them into the community with jobs and sending their kids to school
how come a country as rich as australia lets in so few people but poor countries can be so hospitable.. they dont have the resources for themselves but they still care for others
they keep them there because there is no proof of their identity.. no passport or anything
how are they supposed to leave their country on a plane and come here legally.. everything they had was taken away and im sure if gunmen raided ur house you wouldnt thing 'oh dear i should take some money.. my passport and my licence'
at least like take away the whole detention centre thing.. and provide something where people can feel safe and arent so trapped..

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
tru dat!!

u can fit the whole bloody worlds population in australia! theres plenty of room

i think its wrong that people just wanting to escape war in their country or that cant afford to do it the right way shouldnt be punished for the ones that are just trying to scam their ways in for free

dezzy

HSC
i think they should all bloody wait in the que like everyone else has to and do it the legal way!

sure, i understand they want to escape their country due to war etc, but be fair and wait ur turn!

it irritates me how they want special treatment....argh!

AGB

HSC
i think we should sink their ships....its not as if they would be a great loss to humanity.....they only represent a burden on the rest of society and the economy

dezzy

HSC
no1 is a burden on the rest of society!

besides criminals etc
but thats not the point...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cro_angel

tanzania (a country in africa) lets in 1 refugee for every 83 people there.. and i dont remember the population there but its still quite alot more than australia offers

also australia is the only place in the world to put refugees in detention..
Yes it's all well and good to say things like this without analysing or mentioning why Tanzania lets so many refugees into the country as opposed to Australia. Hell, I can't even find figures about that except from biased sources, I'm assuming you got your info from a site like <http://www.erc.org.au/issues/text/se01.htm>...
(Yes, I know it sounds like a right-wing rant at the moment but it'll get more leftist soon enough :p). Most of these African nations are too poor to have any sort of real army anyway, it's just a bunch of loosely cobbled together people they picked up off the streets or some random militia. Plus the conditions in the refugee camps there are squalid and another ethnicity often comes along and kills/slaughters/massacres the other one, so it's not really a much better solution than what's happening in Australia. So drawing that distinction it's not really that good. Also, you'll notice that Britain and France are beginning to crack down a tad more on their asylum seekers too, I know that recently the French and British have been trying to stem the problem of the Calais immigration camps from where asylum seekers escape on lorries over the channel and head to the UK. This might be just a sign of the right-wing elements taking more hold, a backlash to terrorism etc or who knows, but it's going to be a trend that's going to continue and it probably won't be stopped any time soon either...

What is a Refugee?
A refugee is a person who "owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country..."

Personally, I don't think that the imprisonment of asylum seekers, especially children, is right. It's wrong, the Howard government ought to find a better solution. In countries such as the Netherlands the asylum seekers are put up in large housing developments (similar to Housing Commission in NSW) and allowed access to the health system and to gain employment. This is ultimately a better system. Not to mention that they aren't stealing anyones jobs, what they are doing is creaing more jobs (due to the support services needed for the refugees) and they are taking up the crap jobs in society that no one wants to do (e.g. cleaning). After the initial outlay of training refugees, they are much more beneficial to society if they are accepted.

The way the Howard government is using the issue is to gain votes, to play on the conservatism and xenophobia of most Australians. It's disgusting but it's how conservatives play politics, on the whole it works, especially when the media gets on side as they almost always do.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i got the info from a speaker from tanzania (i think from caritas).. umm peter maduki i think his name was.. i can check for u or something
im sorry that i can take his word for it because im too cynical of anything they show on the news these days
its stupid that australians are like scared of these refugees taking their money and jobs etc when they r just normal people who are escaping their country to live

Rorix

HSC
That flame was so random. Race was never even mentioned in the post and you scream out "RACIST! PAULINE HANSON OMG!!!! DERFDERF!!!". And you accuse others of 'playing the race card'.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Howard is playing the 'race card' though...

Rorix

HSC
Is he? You know, I've never heard anyone from the Howard government say "We should lock up these illegals because they are Arabs!". People love to use the word racism because such low standards of proof are demanded by society (e.g. above flame).

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
also a major problem is the speed at which these people are determined to be refugees or not (i prefer to not say processed it only reminds us of hitler and the jews)
True, true.

It's a catch 22, we've either got the problem of abandonment, which looks bad for the government or the problem of over-crowding.

The main thing is, we can't blame the refugees, all they want is a better life and that's understandable.

Rorix

HSC
Australia wont be overcrowded...

i remember reading somewhere at uni that the optimal population of Australia is about 30 million to a max of 50
This is most probably what the land can sustainably support. Overcrowding is a subjective issue. It's also not like once we reach 50 million everyone in Australia will just stop having babies. 40 million people is a lot of people though. Can you imagine everywhere you go there is twice the people?

as if hed come out and dothat ...hes never told us the truth about anything ever...and when anyone says somehting about him doing something wrong...he justs says that 'nobody told me'
John Howard has never told the truth about anything ever? Riiiiiiiight. You know, not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes things are just the way the government says things are. All I'm asking for is some examples of situations where you think the 'race card' has been played (preferably with some sort of link to back up what you're saying).

EDIT: missed the 2nd part.

Rorix

HSC
you cant see the imfered racism in ur post !
It wasn't my post. Unless you meant the one you quoted - if so, no, I cannot. If you're talking about AGBs post, then I can't either. When you try to infer something you're just assuming what they meant, and calling him racist just because IN YOUR MIND what he said implied racial descrimination is just stupid.
howards 1988 election progran 'one Australia' was VERY racist !!!

his current programs are pretty much the same just with different names
The One Australia slogan (btw I find it very telling that you had to go back to 1988 to find an example) did discriminate against Asian migration (rightfully or not is another matter). However, Philip Ruddock personally called John Howard abusing him over the slogan. I'm sure we all know he was, for quite a period of time, the Immigration Minister. Right, we've got one thing (from 1988) which the Immigration Minister disagreed with and ensured Howard knew about it. I'm not convinced that one indicident in 1988 (that's, count 'em, 16 years ago) which the Immigration Minister disagreed with is proof that Howard plays the 'race card'. Oh, and note how this really has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

Rorix

HSC
boat people...children overboard ...esneate inquiry found that well ...howard knew that the children wernt thrown overboard...but he still used it
I concede this point. However, only one incident from a politician is pretty good - they are notorious for lying.

use of 2 navy frigates and $$$$ to ward off a few small boats of half sinking timber boats ...in an attempt to tough on illegals (who happen to not be white) massive overkill to play up his thoughness
This has nothing to do with lying or racism. It's not Howard's fault if the people who travel here by boat happen not to be white. Oh, and I'd think 2 navy frigates is a rather small amount to police Australia's waters - not "massive overkill".

John howards comments on what a true Australia is ...(there is no such thing)...John howard is defining australia on 50s values ...
Purely your opinion.

john howard willingingness to talk with uk and not with the asia pacific...which is our region ...
Uh, John Howard does try and talk with the asia pacific. It's not really helpful when people won't talk to him on the phone or block Australia's membership to groups.

that we dont want 'asians' that we only want Eurpean and US immigrants ... ie white australia policy
No, he said we should slow Asian immigration (which I'm pretty sure was leagues ahead of Euro/US immigration at the time, but I could be wrong). You're just blatently lying here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)