bogans with no jobs earn more than most of us will when we graduate (1 Viewer)

-Anfernee-

HSC
gpipirw22 said:
Wow.

Look, Boris may or may not be a bogan, it depends on the circumstances, but could we try to focus a little more on the topic at hand?

roflol..:rofl:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
You believe in God now?

I say we shut down all pet stores for good. Pets are useless anyways. That'll stop them from spending money on animals.

SleepDeprived

HSC
Stevo. said:
I say we shut down all pet stores for good. Pets are useless anyways. That'll stop them from spending money on animals.
No but then we would face the problem of pets being illigally imported from overseas :p

quik.

HSC
Sort of a dead topic but oh well.

Food stamps? I don't know if anywhere uses them (I think the US used to?) or if they're viable, seems like they'd go a ways to ensuring that such and such amount is spent on groceries.

Don't care for the 'it's embarrassing to pay with food stamps' argument, but is there any other reason why a portion of welfare couldn't be handled this way?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Yep. Read the thread. I've covered pretty extensively why it is a terrible idea and even the people suggesting it pretty much conceeded I'm right.
:shy:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I can go one better

What we need is implanted chips on all welfare recipients, and food stamps with magnetic strips or PIN numbers corresponding to the particular bludger's chip, thus rendering the trade of food stamps impossible

what say you?

bawd

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I can go one better

What we need is implanted chips on all welfare recipients, and food stamps with magnetic strips or PIN numbers corresponding to the particular bludger's chip, thus rendering the trade of food stamps impossible

what say you?
Don't be stupid, the government invade in our privacy more than enough, don't encourage them even more.

And why would they spend so much money to ensure people don't misuse/trade their ruddy welfare payments if it's issued in the form of a food stamp? Food stamps are non-redeemable for cash and I don't think anybody will buy a food stamp from some washed-up bogan or from eBay for that matter.

BTW, food stamps are still used in Australia at big supermarkets such as Coles, IGA, Woolworths. Just not as frequently as cash and credit.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
yeah i'm not reading all that

of course we could deactivate or maybe remove the chips if the useless bludgers ever got off their arses and got a job, I'm not advocating anything that would violate civil rights here

quik.

HSC
zimmerman

I don't see how the potential for them to sell the food stamps / sell stuff bought with food stamps at a discount discredits food stamps. If they choose to do either, they end up with less overall?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Food stamps should only ever be given in emergency situations. e.g; A fucking homeless person/starving person who doesn't have a bank account set-up.

Food stamps are just dirty. I don't know about you, but I would rather a small portion of these 'bogans' on government support use their government money on drugs and gambling than forcing all people who require such support to be humiliated in the form of food stamps at local stores.

quik.

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
So they end up with slightly less. It's not hard to find certain goods that are easily resealable at very close to their market value. So they are only discouraged slightly.
Think about it, what is more likely, that a drug addict sells food stamps to buy drugs, or that they find it too difficult to sell the food stamps and they significantly reduce their drug consumption?

Furthermore, as I pointed out, there are administrative costs to the taxpayer, increasing the welfare bill for a policy with no proven benefits.
From a quick read of google results, seems America is starting to use a debit card instead of actual stamps. That still increases adminstration costs, although I'd say less than physical stamps would, at least long term.

Sri Lanka seems to have had (some) success with a food stamp program, this study implies that increased nutritional benefit is seen with changes to food stamp benefits compared to simply throwing a bit more money at those on welfare. There are others that show that toddlers from families on the food stamp program (in the US) receive better nutrition than those not on the program, ditto for the elderly.

This study states that roughly 80-85% (scanned the first few pages, this number is based on the two initial nutrients mentioned) of participants on the program are reaching an acceptable nutritional level (based off of RDI). 50% of participants experienced some kind of food insecurity, of this 5% was classified as 'with severe hunger'.

There was also one on Jamaica but I either had to download it to read it or I couldn't access it, meh.

It seems that there are proven benefits though. America has the advantage of having had a food stamp scheme in place since 1964, however Sri Lanka adopted a program in the 70's and is saw fairly significant benefits over the first decade, the only failure of the scheme being it failed to reach the bottom 8% (who would need the assistance most). Australia implementing a scheme should study other programs from around the world and try to avoid their shortcomings.

If there are other sources that totally descredit all this, I'll be happy to cop it. This was only a quick look through google scholar.

pete_mate

HSC
gpipirw22 said:
Wow.
How did a discussion regarding bogans(lol) turn into a heated debate encapsulating personal vendettas for one another?
welcome to the internet.

quik.

HSC
DOCS is already in place and in a position to do just that, however at a guess I would say is massively underfunded and understaffed, and if Australia has a similar situation to America etc there would be nowhere for the kids to go, especially older ones. Increasing funding will solve some problems, but it won't make foster parents any more willing to take on older children.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Why do people need to be so shit?

If everyone could just be employed and sane and not a raving drug addict that would be nice.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
But then who would we use as scapegoats?
The blacks?
The jews?
The muslims?

Plenty of people left. It just makes me sad that people are so shit that they can't even take care of their children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)