Books for physics (1 Viewer)

freespace

To the students currently doing Science:

What books are required/recommended for science streams (math, physics), and for specialization in physics?

Want to know so I can get them early and beat the que, or get them 2nd hand and save $$$.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Steve

memo

for physics 1st year its

University Physics by Young and Freedman ~ $100 new

and from memory if you buy that the school of physics is willing to swap for what you need for 2nd year physics.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Maths first year:
integral calculus - J. Stewart Calculus, 4th ed. This is less important for differential, but still useful.

Linear Algebra - only printed notes. Might be at Co-op, Uni Copy centre (just around corner from Co-op), or maybe Kopystop in the city.

Stats - I will never do stats, should have printed notes and maybe textbook.
(and/or)
Discrete - a small book, named 'Introduction to Discrete Mathematics' by Choo and Taylor.

freespace

Hrm, good point. I did choose the chem stream.

What would you recommended freaking_out?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by freespace
Hrm, good point. I did choose the chem stream.

What would you recommended freaking_out?
LoL, i duno- thats what i'm asking- but i was told a famous first year book was this chem. book by zumdahl. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by memo
for physics 1st year its

University Physics by Young and Freedman ~ $100 new

and from memory if you buy that the school of physics is willing to swap for what you need for 2nd year physics.
so are u sure abt. the fact that the faculty will swap for 2nd year stuff- coz i'm thinking of buying the new book- btw, is there any other strings attached to this deal? :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by memo
Read here.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/jpc.html

Its for s2 physics not 2nd year sorry.
hmm...but if i'm going to do physics (advanced) 1A and physics (advanced) 1B, aren't we gonna have the same text book throughout the whole year?

so in the end: i can't swap the first year textbook wif the second year textbooks. :(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmm... I used that physics textbook all the way through 1st year. And probably 2nd year too, though I'd have to check.

For chem, the lecturers don't stress on the exact textbook you want.
But, they have sort of recommended this one last year (because some notes refer to pages in both 2nd ed. and 3rd ed.):
Chemistry
The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change
Silberberg.

freespace

*update* Due to changing courses, I am no longer doing chemistry and fundations of IT systems... YAY! ;)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
hey does anyone know what the difference is between Stewart's caculus and the "early transcendentals" version?

and has anyone heard of "calculus and analytic geometry" by Thomas & Finney. my teacher said its the best... is it better than stewarts books? i need a good book...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
at USYD right- also what major u aiming for?
yEah... I wouldn't bother to find out so much about usyd if I don't go there.
Aiming for physics and biochemistry, I'd say... given up on microbio, too hard to overload 2nd year.

As for abdooooo, I wouldn't know. The lecturers would loosely refer to the prescribed textbook during the course, but I suppose you can substitute it if you think it's better. You'd have to ask for someone who has both though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)