BOS RPG Thread. (2 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I have now decided that I am up for this, so who's gonna be the GM?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
15. some long, so short. i like intrigue but they prefer direct and quick. think of my approach as Lost or Firefly where you find bit by bit about the character. i love character development especially when they interwine like in Lost.

HSC
Argonaut said:
I'm interested, but if we're going to do it, can I suggest something small to begin with to see if it actually works? I'm thinking something in a contained environment to stop people taking them game to another location. For example, if you had pirates, we could do it as pirates attacking vessels in the Caribbean during the discovery of the New World; that way we actually get to be pirates in their heyday and someone could play the Spanish Armada, islanders, etc. On the other hand, something like fantasy would be difficult because if you have people running around who can cast magic you'd need rules to govern how magic works, who can welid it and how effectively they can do it; that would stop everyone from casting the Awesome-friggin-huge-kamikaze-get-out-of-jail-free-card-super-fireball-pointless-non-sequitur-instant-death spell.

that was a major problem back in the old FFX forums i used to be part of (now elusively gone for some mysterious reason). there was this one RPG i was part of, where there was a cell-games type fighting tournament (don't question, it was a long time ago). oddly enough, i picked Cell, and my opponent Sephiroth (who that is, i do not know). we battled continuously.....neither of us wanted to give up - he'd slice me in half with a huge-ass sword, only for me to regenerate. and i'd generate an oversized energy ball and pummel him into the ground...only to rise from the dust.

as you see, there must be restrictions on magic if you want a Fantasy RPG.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, there is a problem though - unless the GM is a reading room mod/smod/admin, how are they going to ensure the rules of the game are followed? It won't work if all the GM can do is throw tantrums at rule breakers, and similarly it might be hard to bestow each GM with mod-esque powers over the game.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
kami said:
Hmmm, there is a problem though - unless the GM is a reading room mod/smod/admin, how are they going to ensure the rules of the game are followed? It won't work if all the GM can do is throw tantrums at rule breakers, and similarly it might be hard to bestow each GM with mod-esque powers over the game.
If we have everyone trustworthy it should be no problem.

J

jhakka

Perhaps a usergroup and a group leader (GM) could be created for this with its own subforum (visible with only certain people with posting powers). This, of couse, would probably cause hesitation from other mods/admins, considering the educational nature of the site.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
jhakka said:
Perhaps a usergroup and a group leader (GM) could be created for this with its own subforum (visible with only certain people with posting powers). This, of couse, would probably cause hesitation from other mods/admins, considering the educational nature of the site.
There really wouldn't be any other way.
I can just picture Stazi salivating over ways he could screw it up. Unless e could work out a way that people could still see the forum, but only select'ah people could post in it.
A far less secure way would be to only open the forum at times specified by the players...but I can just see that going to hell.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
That would be too much work. The way to go would be create another forum, give everyone viewing powers but only those in the usergroup posting powers.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I think the simplest way is to create another forum. I mean it would be good to have the RPG here but it's impractical.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If everyone feels comfortable with me being admin (hah!) I'll create one on my webspace, and appoint whoever the GM is as a mod.

Diddimz

HSC
if your gonna be so tight on running the RPG it wont work, no one will enjoy it, just create a forum and watch it grow instead of restricting posting to certain people.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
If you just leave the RP as being open to anyone and letting it run its natural course, it's a gilt-edged invitation for trolling, people who will come in and all of a sudden your story becomes a sado-machinostic cannibalism festival.
so where's the bad part of your argument?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Diddimz said:
if your gonna be so tight on running the RPG it wont work, no one will enjoy it, just create a forum and watch it grow instead of restricting posting to certain people.
I agree with Argonaut, if you were just gonna have a random milling of people doing their own thing then it won't be an RPG anymore it'll turn into something weird, plus it might spill over into the rest of the reading room which would not be good.

On a lighter note, we've been bandying this idea about but is anyone willing to make a trial run of it? Otherwise we are never gonna find out what will work and what won't or if the concept will even get off the ground...If no one else wants(and there is interest) I'll give being a GM a go for the trial...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
this sounds like fun. let me join!!
Then join up with the forum lol, if no one joins there won't be any RPG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)