BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

many-eyeshere

HSC
Medium: Poetry.
Title: The Fragmentary Glimpses of the Modern-Day Saints: Portraits of Ghosts.

Mark: 48/50

Clifford

HSC
Yes! Well done Aquasubmarine, completely deserved. It's good to see that the best in the state was actually fantastic and amazing and we all thought water/sounds was brilliant without it being validated by a mark or anything!

Mine got 49/50 so I'm pretty damn chuffed!

Asubmarine

HSC
Clifford that's so good. Congrats man. I feel like our airy literary conversations have been somewhat validated hahah

Clifford

HSC
Ha, yeah, I just trawled through our past conversation; airy indeed. But the validation is nice.

My dad was actually reading the paper and read out the 'A comprehensive high school of Blaxland..." and what you said, and I remember thinking "What a wanker", before I got my results and realised it was you! I know Blaxland rang a bell.

So does that mean you're definitely published in the book?

And what about other people on this thread? Where's Alexleon, Marquelle, charlesstraum, diametric etc?

Asubmarine

HSC
haha shit i'd better get a paper and see what I said.

Nah I don't think it's a definite. There's questions of copyright and publishability. I think other years people who have come equal first haven't all gone in.. so i dunno.

diametric

HSC
hey guys.

first off, congrats to those who did splendidly (and congrats asubmarine)!

i did not get the result that i expected, and am actually quite distraught by the fact that I got 37. My external mark was 37, and so was my internal, but only because I'm the only person at my school who did ee2 (thus external = internal). I don't know if something went wrong, or why they thought it was absolute garbage. I am going to get it rechecked, and if that doesn't result in any changes, appeal.

None of my teachers, or peers, or myself, or people on here, seemed to think it was worth 37.

accio.brain

HSC
Diametric: Oh, really?? :( I remember reading yours and I loved it! I think it's definitely worth more than a 37...

diametric

HSC
@ shadowdude. its on the first page.
@ accio. thank you, and congrats on your own score!

ixswans

HSC
Diametric - I love the way you craft your words. This is not my opinion of your story, but what I think the markers saw lacking in it;

*Clarity within a reading - the type of story that you wrote - intricate, complex - needs a few readings to actually recognise the nuances within the text. That you wrote a story needing a reading or two more than a 'straight out' story could have been to your detriment. I didn't realise that Lucifer actually went into the future as part of God's test until I reasoned all this out, but it didn't take long to do it either. The vigilante parts I didn't get until the second reading, and not sure if I fully got what you intended me to (might be ignorance on my part).

*Very confronting at times - at the beginning where you describe graphically the murder of a child. While textually true, that Lilith does feed on infants, the description made me wince. I'm sure this is what you intended, but if you happened to get a marker with a million children and several thousand grandchildren..

*Going against the grain - Lucifer's subdued nature, the way he talked to God as if he was equal to Him (while still addressing Him as the Lord)

*Time frame - you say it was 40 days and 40 nights, although through the pace of the text, it seems as though it happened in a matter of days.

*Typos? I noticed a few there, not sure that they would have used that against you. You might have corrected these though.

It's all so subjective that it's hard to pinpoint what they saw lacking. I could easily have said all this for my own Major Work. Personally, regarding all that I thought it was deserving of mid-high E3. Your language control is excellent, first and last lines are BAM and you sustain the story throughout.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I read about you in the paper man, fucking awesome!!!! CONGRATS!!!

I was like hmm Japanese haiku poetry...that sounds reall- ASUBMARINE HOLY SHIT. Hahahah.

Anyway, 49/50. So stoked :)

EDIT: Good work Clifford, that was definitely deserved. We've done well!

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
hey guys.

first off, congrats to those who did splendidly (and congrats asubmarine)!

i did not get the result that i expected, and am actually quite distraught by the fact that I got 37. My external mark was 37, and so was my internal, but only because I'm the only person at my school who did ee2 (thus external = internal). I don't know if something went wrong, or why they thought it was absolute garbage. I am going to get it rechecked, and if that doesn't result in any changes, appeal.

None of my teachers, or peers, or myself, or people on here, seemed to think it was worth 37.

Diametric, that's ridiculous. I'm so sorry, I think you deserved alot more. Your story was fantastic! Really good!

Asubmarine

HSC
Thanks man, was pretty happy about that

Congrats on your mark it's very well deserved... and further congratulations on ur overall result I saw you posted up in another thread.

Also @ Diametric, I remember I read some of your work when you first posted it up and thought it would do particularly well.
Commiserations man, your bemusement at your mark is well justified imo :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh yours, I remember it now...

I liked it! Should've just given me the title =P

37... I think it deserved better than that. I liked the title especially.

tku336

HSC
Does anyone know how they choose works for the writers showcase?

philphie

Banned
HSC
Does anyone know how they choose works for the writers showcase?
you nominate your own major work, it's too late now. i didn't apply because i didn't have the final draft of my reflection statement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)