BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks, i was surprised that my mark was so low, but oh well, i love the play and it's received over a 500 hits on a site (which i now cannot remember the name of :p) so it just goes but the subjectivity of the markers, and apparently they don't like comedy :p. But i got my ATAR that i wanted so I'm still happy :D.
They don't like comedy?

Oh ffff.....

philphie

Banned
HSC
nah not at all true, didn't get tutored..
where'd you hear that from?

i don't think ext 2 english is something you could tutor for anyway, all you can do to maek your mw better is let people read it and use their criticism

philphie

Banned
HSC
They don't like comedy?

Oh ffff.....
it's not that they don't like comdey it's just that eveyrone has different tastes. considering the assumed demographic of markers (older age teachers) they would prefer dry, dark humour, the typical British whim, think of Death at a Funeral.

plus only do a comedy if you're doing a short film, performance poetry, or a radio script/play/whatever. comedy needs the dynamics of theatrics.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yep, my humour was for a TARGET audience of Teenagers and Young Adults, so it was sexual innuendo rather than dry humour.

And as philphie said comedy is hard to match to everyone's taste. I took a gamble and paid dearly but oh well. Every other mark was good except for my extensions (stupid teacher for ee1 and then stupid old markers for ee2).

noelknows

HSC
i don't think ext 2 english is something you could tutor for anyway, all you can do to maek your mw better is let people read it and use their criticism
You're arguing semantics philphie, ever heard of 'mentoring'?

accio.brain

HSC
ditto here. my teacher was frustrating. i didn't have a mentor but i think i probably would've liked to have someone other than my teacher, just to give their own advice and opinions because i didn't trust my teacher's half the time.

philphie

Banned
HSC
my viva voce was with the head of english for the Carholic Education Office and after she said she really liked my style of writing she offered to mentor me, and i was like "oh yeah yeah, i'll call you whenever i need help, yeah so just wait for whenever" so basically i never contacted her but apparently she kept on contacting my eng teacher asking about me. i saw her again on the day the thing was due and i just told her "yeah i lost your number, but you know, no hard feelings"

noelknows

HSC
my viva voce was with the head of english for the Carholic Education Office and after she said she really liked my style of writing she offered to mentor me, and i was like "oh yeah yeah, i'll call you whenever i need help, yeah so just wait for whenever" so basically i never contacted her but apparently she kept on contacting my eng teacher asking about me. i saw her again on the day the thing was due and i just told her "yeah i lost your number, but you know, no hard feelings"
And how did you end up going?

philphie

Banned
HSC
pretty good 46/50. it was my first time writing a short story or any creative for that matter.

catherinet

HSC
Congrats everyone!!

I got 46/50.
MUCH higher than i expected.

I think that the subjective nature of the marking is very much hilighted by the fact that even though i barely got an E4, i'm still nominated for showcase....

Hmm, i BET a man marked my major work! arghhhhh

Anyway, regardless.. i'm STOKED :)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
congrats everyone!!

I got 46/50.
Much higher than i expected.

I think that the subjective nature of the marking is very much hilighted by the fact that even though i barely got an e4, i'm still nominated for showcase....

hmm, i bet a man marked my major work! Arghhhhh

anyway, regardless.. I'm stoked :)

congratulations!!!

noelknows

HSC
Congrats everyone!!

I got 46/50.

I think that the subjective nature of the marking is very much hilighted by the fact that even though i barely got an E4, i'm still nominated for showcase....

Well done, you should post your MW on here.
I don't understand how that works. I thought that those who got 50/50 were short-listed. It seems such a more efficient, sensible system. Otherwise they'd need to go around and re-check everything to see if it's showcase worthy. Like, do they re-read the 45/50s just in case they were marked subjectively?

Or, in your situation, did you get 42/50 assessment mark and 50/50 exam mark?

gingerwitch28

HSC
I got nominated for the showcase, which is surprising because I was near the bottom of my cohort and while my school's pretty up there with English, we never seem to get any showcase noms. Also I thought my MW was pretty dodgy, though I got 48. I guess it just means it's different, because I'd think they'd want to go for a nice mix in the showcase.

Anyone else who got nominated, are you just chopping and changing your reflection statement for that 300-350wd piece?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
2009 Major Works links have been provided on the first post of this thread. It's a bit messy but that's all I can do in the meantime. If I have forgotten someone's attachment accidentally or if you have any questions, buzz me.

brunx

HSC
Congrats everyone!!

I got 46/50.

lol. i dont get how my friend gets 47 and doesnt get nominated....

anyway...has anyone heard whether or not they've been accepted into the YWS? anyone know when this is released?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)