BOS Trials 2013 2 Unit Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Oh man. I felt so happy when I got the trig proof out. Was probably the only 2 mark question in the whole paper that I got right.

I remember nailing the sine rule question on Q 16 as well.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh man. I felt so happy when I got the trig proof out. Was probably the only 2 mark question in the whole paper that I got right.

I remember nailing the sine rule question on Q 16 as well.
Hehehe, almost seems TOO easy doesn't it?

Almost as if there's something that most students would miss out on...

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Where in relation to the room were you guys sitting

I was sitting right up the front, the Asian in the grey shirt and pants. The guy who arrived at 2:55.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Oh crap, I knew it seemed too good to be true

Let me guess, using the sine rule can give 2 solutions right? :(
FYI I think this year's questions (especially 2U and Ext1) had a lot of 'traps' where students think they got the right answer when really they either got it wrong or only partially correct.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Across from this guy

I seriously skipped 1/2 of that, and of the half that I did do, i'd say I would have screwed up 1/2 of it! Aiming for a solid 25%! :O That goodness the HSC papers are pretty similar for year to year. I.e Same questions, just worded differently! :D

Makematics

HSC
FYI I think this year's questions (especially 2U and Ext1) had a lot of 'traps' where students think they got the right answer when really they either got it wrong or only partially correct.
Yep, i got tricked badly by Q9 MC in 3U :lol:
Any others from 3U?

Makematics

HSC

I was sitting right up the front, the Asian in the grey shirt and pants. The guy who arrived at 2:55.
I sat next to the guy with the snapback. The hardest part of the day was not understanding the insane maths questions, but understanding why one would wear a snapback during a maths test.

HSC
Yep, i got tricked badly by Q9 MC in 3U :lol:
Any others from 3U?
Stuffed up Q8 in the MC as well :(
Did not think of letting the derivative be equal to zero for the limiting population in Q13 c) ii., I copied the wrong integral in Q13 b) iii, gave up on the projectile motion question + made tons of other sillies/skipped marks due to time urgh

edit: oops, just realised this is the 2U thread

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Not for a while. If you have any particular questions you want solutions to now then I'll put them up.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I sat next to the guy with the snapback. The hardest part of the day was not understanding the insane maths questions, but understanding why one would wear a snapback during a maths test.
There were actually more Asian people than I thought

Probs all doing 4U though

I have that sinking feeling that I was probably the only person that was doing just 2U at that exam

inb410%

iBibah

HSC
There were actually more Asian people than I thought

Probs all doing 4U though

I have that sinking feeling that I was probably the only person that was doing just 2U at that exam

inb410%
nah you weren't, there were others.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
14 b) iv - v - vi :D
14)b iv) y=mx passes through the origin. If you want to enclose an area you have to have 2 intersection points between the line y=mx and the curve

You can do this two ways, either find the gradient of the tangent to f(x) at x=0 then let m < gradient or solve the equations simultaneously and let the discriminant be positive for 2 solutions (i.e. 2 intersections). If you do the latter you will get a cubic, but note x=0 is an obvious solution so divide by x and get a quadratic.

Last edited:

integral95

HSC
14)b iv) y=mx passes through the origin. If you want to enclose an area you have to have 2 intersection points between the line y=mx and the curve

You can do this two ways, either find the gradient of the tangent to f(x) at x=0 then let m < gradient or solve the equations simultaneously and let the discriminant be positive for 2 solutions (i.e. 2 intersections). If you do the latter you will get a cubic, but note x=0 is an obvious solution so divide by x and get a quadratic.
Yup I recall doing the latter, (except I think I stuffed up the algebra cause I was kinda tired)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)