BOS Trials 2013 2 Unit Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
14)b iv) y=mx passes through the origin. If you want to enclose an area you have to have 2 intersection points between the line y=mx and the curve

You can do this two ways, either find the gradient of the tangent to f(x) at x=0 then let m < gradient or solve the equations simultaneously and let the discriminant be positive for 2 solutions (i.e. 2 intersections). If you do the latter you will get a cubic, but note x=0 is an obvious solution so divide by x and get a quadratic.
lol I got the values out for m by inspection, not sure if it counts oops

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
not gonna post here anymore until I get worked answers

I will be able to prove nothing except my own stupidity

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
well I knew that the gradient at the origin was 1 so clearly m has to be between 0 and 1 for there to be two intersections?
14)b iv) y=mx passes through the origin. If you want to enclose an area you have to have 2 intersection points between the line y=mx and the curve

You can do this two ways, either find the gradient of the tangent to f(x) at x=0 then let m < gradient or solve the equations simultaneously and let the discriminant be positive for 2 solutions (i.e. 2 intersections). If you do the latter you will get a cubic, but note x=0 is an obvious solution so divide by x and get a quadratic.
?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Though may I suggest it would be easier instead of differentiating:

To put it in the form:

Then differentiate.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Official solutions (along with the results) will be released very soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)