Braces (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i had braces yr 7-9 and i didnt find it too bad.. and i'm a major wuss!

although it does depend on how bad ur teeth are and what ur orthidontist is like and whether you have teeth pulled or not.. mine refuses to pull teeth.

basically they only take a few days to get used to, and then your mouth will feel a bit tight for a day or two after you get them adjusted... panadol fixes everything.. dont worry lol

during exams and stuff if you find it really bad, just arrange with ur ortho to have adjustments after exams or on weekends etc. its not that much of a big deal - you can work around it!

Lisa88

HSC
hey dont freak,
i am getting my braces off in 1 months and 4 day...i'm so excited after having them on for over 2 and a half yrs.
im a girl (so like im not a big toughie or nething) but i really dont think pain will be an issue... ok so its hurts for about a week when you get them on...but lyk u dont lose sleep...lol...n when you get them tightened it hurts maybe for that day but i still eat n stuff....just not raw carrot and hard stuff lyk that...haha...so yeh...i think try n get ur parents to giv in coz the pain is nothing...and think of the end result!!!p.s....my friend is starting her treatment this month n she actually gets her braces on in juse n the orthodontist had no problems with her doin it....
good luck

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
braces are fine, except for the fucking annoying retainers you will most likely have to wear afterwards.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i gave up on my retainers about 2 years after i got my braces off and my bottom teeth are slightly crooked again. but fuck doing anything about it. i was also told that i'd have to get my wisdom teeth out by the time i turned 17, well im nearly 19 and nothings happened.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah i was so sick of my retainers after about 2yrs i just stopped wearing them. and i kept losing them. my last pair i had, i somehow broke the top one cos one night i got really drunk and when i woke up the morning the top one was cracked, i cant remember how though lol

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
ive always had "perfect" teeth, but i wanted braces. i thought they were cool when i was in year 2 coz all the big kids had them.
anyway, ive known people who get braces at like 23/24. its really weird seeing someone that old getting braces, so the sooner the better. get them now, i know people who got braces in year 12 and they didnt have issues.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
what sort of braces do u wanna get, az?

theres like heaps of diff types nowdays, theres the normal metal ones, gold ones, clear plastic ones, and i think some places do coloured ones. then you can also get coloured o-ring thingys on each of the individual braces and coloured elastic things too.
oh my! :eek:

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i had braces in year 9 nd year 10 and they really are not that terrible at all, and I have a really low threshold for pain. I think you should get them, in my opinion its best to get it over and done with. Mine hurt when they were first put on, but it doesent last, and then sometimes can be a bit sensitive when they are tightened, but you can make the sensitivity go away quicker by chewing- my orthodondist reccomended chewing gum to help loosen them slightly. ANyway, THOUSANDS of people have braces through year 12 and I really don't think they'll make a difference

DERRICKISVIET

HSC
well im definately convinced to get braces now.. sooner the better =)

however, now the concern is money.. if i get HCF or MBF on it, it comes down to 3k i think.. and my mum is complaining about the money.. sigh :( i'd pay for it myself but im saving for my car haha

HSC
hey ur viet? hehe .. me too ..

yeah my dentist told me the best are the ones who dont pull out any tooth or teeth .. yeh ..

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
breaking said:
what sort of braces do u wanna get, az?

theres like heaps of diff types nowdays, theres the normal metal ones, gold ones, clear plastic ones, and i think some places do coloured ones. then you can also get coloured o-ring thingys on each of the individual braces and coloured elastic things too.
oh my! :eek:
i just wanted the grey metal ones. remember this is old school before they got fancy and got colours. i just thought it was awesome that the big girls had braces. then i got to 15 and realised im freaking lucky.

DERRICKISVIET

HSC
lilkiwicutie89 said:
hey ur viet? hehe .. me too ..

yeah my dentist told me the best are the ones who dont pull out any tooth or teeth .. yeh ..
nah my friend is viet, i made this account when i was at school with him.. just to bag him out

ended up using it for the forum haha

Demandred

HSC
breaking said:
yeah i was so sick of my retainers after about 2yrs i just stopped wearing them. and i kept losing them. my last pair i had, i somehow broke the top one cos one night i got really drunk and when i woke up the morning the top one was cracked, i cant remember how though lol
I had a metal wire inserted at the back of teeth instead of retainers, I can't feel a thing, you're suppose to have them for a few years, but the Doc said you can have them on for a life time.

Yea, the real pain is when you first get your breaces and when they tighten them. You can't eat anything hard for a few days, I found that out the hard way by taking a bite out of a Snicker bar. After having mines done, i could really say it was well worth it.

Jeebs

HSC
okay the honest truth with braces is that they kill when you get them on for about four days then for about two days after they have been tightened for the first few times...

then when you're nearing the end of your braces and the ortho puts on a 'chain' (there the little rubber things on your braces are linked together) which pulls your gaps closed, that’s the only other time they hurt...

other than that braces are fine and don’t really bother you... and if so, nurofen fixes that (best for orthodontic pain)

ciao.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
oh the retainers are the WORST bit about braces by far, mine were so painful and annoying. I threw in the towel after 5 months and stopped wearing them, and 3 years on my teeth have not budged

froggy_chik87

HSC
i had braces during yr 9 - 11, they do hurt ALOT when you get them on, but as everyone said the pain lasts about 4 days ( i found tuna sandwiches easy to eat ) and as someone else said chewing gum does hurt, and your not suppose to have gum while you have braces, but it does help loosen them slightly, and stop some of the pain.

ANYWAY...i kinda gave up wearing my retainer about 3 months ago, after not wearing it much at all, and i noticed my teeth had moved slightly, so i thought i'd wear it again last night...and it hurts lyk a bitch!! i've been in so much pain beacuse of it...so i recommend that you wear your retainer as instructed!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
i had braces during yr 9 - 11, they do hurt ALOT when you get them on, but as everyone said the pain lasts about 4 days ( i found tuna sandwiches easy to eat ) and as someone else said chewing gum does hurt, and your not suppose to have gum while you have braces, but it does help loosen them slightly, and stop some of the pain.

ANYWAY...i kinda gave up wearing my retainer about 3 months ago, after not wearing it much at all, and i noticed my teeth had moved slightly, so i thought i'd wear it again last night...and it hurts lyk a bitch!! i've been in so much pain beacuse of it...so i recommend that you wear your retainer as instructed!

really? my orthodontist reccommended i chew sugarfree gum while i had braces.

HSC
lolz.. icic ....

ohh braces and gum .. alot of people who have braces chew more gum than the ones without ... i got a friend who cant live without gum !!

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
I got my braces on in year 9 and off the day before school photos in year 11 LOL. I only had them on the top to pull a canine tooth into place because it was growing through my pallette. I didnt get them tightened until the summer holidays between yr 9 and 10 AND IT HURT LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER EVERYTIME! Seriously I couldnt even eat lightly golden toast a week later. And that was every check up for about 9 months.

I had straight teeth already, cept this one tooth. I had like 3 really tight elastics on and that really strong black looking wire. I couldnt even get colours cos I needed some special chain elastic.

So I recomment waiting until ure hsc is over because u dont know what the ortho might do. Then opt for clear braces if u dont wanna be like an adult with braces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)