Brain Dead Woman Pregnant, Forced Life Support (1 Viewer)

Should the life support be kept on or turned off?

• Life support kept on

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Life support turned off

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
'A host for a foetus': Brain dead pregnant woman kept on life support

"The diagnosis was crushing and irrevocable. At 33, Marlise Munoz was brain dead after collapsing on her kitchen floor in November from what appeared to be a blood clot in her lungs.

But as her parents and her husband prepared to say their final goodbyes in the intensive care unit at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas, and to honour her wish not to be left on life support, they were stunned when a doctor told them the hospital was not going to comply with their instructions.

Munoz was 14 weeks pregnant, the doctor said, and Texas is one of more than two dozen US states that prohibit, with varying degrees of strictness, medical officials from cutting off life support to a pregnant patient.

More than a month later, Munoz remains connected to life-support machines on the third floor of the ICU, where a medical team monitors the heartbeat of the foetus, now in its 20th week of development.

Advertisement
Her case has become a strange collision of law, medicine, the ethics of end-of-life care and the issues swirling around abortion - when life begins and how it should be valued.

"It’s not a matter of pro-choice and pro-life," said Munoz’s mother, Lynne Machado, 60. "It’s about a matter of our daughter’s wishes not being honoured by the state of Texas."

Munoz’s father, Ernest Machado, 60, a former police officer and an Air Force veteran, put it even more bluntly.

"All she is, is a host for a foetus," he said on Tuesday. "I get angry with the state. What business did they have delving into these areas? Why are they practicing medicine up in Austin?""

Full Story: 'A host for a foetus': Brain dead pregnant woman kept on life support

---------------------

Thoughts?

Mutant Kitty

HSC
If the parents/husband pay for the medical bills I wouldn't have a problem... Texas doesn't have state tax either, so maybe the whole of America should just vote on it, lol.
But then again, a lot of Americans are Christians, so they could place there completely unsound beliefs on the matter, thus logic goes right out the window... Perhaps with the foetus.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
If the parents/husband pay for the medical bills I wouldn't have a problem... Texas doesn't have state tax either, so maybe the whole of America should just vote on it, lol.
But then again, a lot of Americans are Christians, so they could place there completely unsound beliefs on the matter, thus logic goes right out the window... Perhaps with the foetus.
This is America btw, those medical bills would bankrupt the family.

Mutant Kitty

HSC
Well, the taxpayer shouldn't be burdened with the child. If she were say, 8 months pregnant it'd be a different issue altogether I think, but it is in that grey area right now between lifeless and having life.
If the family wants the child, they could go into debt to save its life... They could apply with charities, or run some kind of campaign to get public opinion with them (which wouldn't be hard in such a religious state). America has other issues where the money could go... How ironic though, Texas hates killing a foetus, but has no problem executing people.
Jesus tards.

Mutant Kitty

HSC
One could also argue that all women are brain dead, whether pregnant or not.
I kid, I kid...
lulz get it?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Well, the taxpayer shouldn't be burdened with the child. If she were say, 8 months pregnant it'd be a different issue altogether I think, but it is in that grey area right now between lifeless and having life.
If the family wants the child, they could go into debt to save its life... They could apply with charities, or run some kind of campaign to get public opinion with them (which wouldn't be hard in such a religious state). America has other issues where the money could go... How ironic though, Texas hates killing a foetus, but has no problem executing people.
Jesus tards.
The main unethical part about it imo is more that the woman herself wanted her life support turned off, and not abiding to her end-of-life wishes and decisions is a massive slap to the face for patient autonomy

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Jesus tards.
Did you actually like... you know... read the thing?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
They should've respected the mother's wishes to be kept off life support. Don't think it's really worth that much trouble to sustain a 14 week old fetus (from the start and considering it's not technically a "human being"). I think it's wrong and unethical they are going against the mother's wishes.

Jesus tards.
It's not really about the religious state of Texas, but about the mother's wishes not being honoured. There's nothing said about whether or not the family wants the child or how they're going to pay for medical bills. The article is about the mother.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Absolutely disgusting that they kept her alive. The country and much of the world are so scared of death that they wont even 'kill' someone thats already dead. Not only will the father be left with no wife but he will most probably be left with a mentally retarded kid.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Absolutely disgusting that they kept her alive. The country and much of the world are so scared of death that they wont even 'kill' someone thats already dead. Not only will the father be left with no wife but he will most probably be left with a mentally retarded kid.
Not to mention the fact that mentally disabled children on average cost more both financially and emotionally than their counter parts, and that they will most likely be bankrupt if they're forced to keep life support on.

Mutant Kitty

HSC
Tbh I didn't read it, I just enjoy making rather uninformed comments because I couldn't care less what people on boredofstudies think.

historia

HSC
Particularly bad seeing as the child was only 14 weeks at the time, I would kind of understand if she was very close to birth but with her being so far out it's totally wrong for the state to go against her and her family's wishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)