Branded as "stupid" in law school? (1 Viewer)

HSC
So, I'm doing full-fee law at unsw. I had really severe health problems last year therefore I didn't do my best in hsc/vce! Seeing that uni is about to start soon, peeps will definitely ask "what's your uai", "are you doing hecs?", "what school did you go to?"

People tend to be judgemental and if I tell them I"m doing full-fee, would they snob me off and label me as incompetent and stupid? Note: I'm very insecure, sad but true. To most people, insecure people studying law would be ironic as you're suppose to be open-minded and ''stand up for yourself". But I love property law and want to be a mega superstar real estate agent cum lawyer.

So yeah, I don't think I should lie about my UAI or whether I'm doing the hecs/fee option, right? Are most of the law students pretentious snobs?

Cheers,
Uberlovesounds

stephenchow

HSC
Re: Branded as "stupid" in law school??

All the international students would be branded as stupid if that was the case.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

fuck them
tbh with you, noone cares what your UAI is once youve reached uni
i havent been asked what my uai is, nor have i asked people what theirs are
also, you dont have to lie about what your UAI and whether your doing hecs or full fee, because frankly its none of their damn business
its sad to see how judgemental people are, but theyre always people who ruins the experience for other people
im sure youll make plenty of nice friends once youre there, so ill try not to worry about it now

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC

after a month doing 2 bridging courses ive noticed that there is very little talk of UAIs. one short mention of it i brought up while saying how shit mine was and another time i overheard guys ahead of me saying something along the lines of "The UAI is a function of how many hours you study" (maths class btw)

so i really doubt there would be too many people who even care about UAIs once theyre in uni. maybe for the first few classes it might become a topic of conversation but i really doubt law students will be saying "lol my UAI of 99.85 pwns your UAI of 99.60, you idiot" to each other all throughout the next 4 years.

lala2

Banned
HSC

Just watch out for the generic gossiper who will want to know the UAIs of everyone in the course--they may or may not be spiteful, but I had one in pharmacy, and he kept probing me till I just said, well, I'm doing pharm, so obviously I must've gotten a high enough UAI. He probably googled my name on the net and found out. Meh. Turns out he beat me by 0.25, and we're averaging the same average. But back to your situation--no-one will really care, just fob them off if they do, and enjoy your law degree--it is a huge commitment and I'm sure you deserved it.

kmk

HSC

hey. i think to even be doing law is an achievement. i was also thinking abt doing fee paying (pharm) but decided to open up my options with another one.
today, ppl are just way too judgemental, sad but true. really, dont care abt what other ppl think/say. u would of heard hopefully from older friends or others that the uai doesnt mean much once u get into uni.

i noe quite a few ppl doing fee-paying courses cos they missed out by the smallest of margins and they are really really passionate abt their course/future.
if u really like what ure doing which by the sounds u do, then u would most probably excel and do better than alot of the hecs students.
u could also apply for fee > hecs transfer!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC

I was a full-fee paying student last year at USyd doing Laws, and no-one really makes a big deal out of it, even the UAIs. The talk about UAIs stop at "What was your UAI?...Oh, ok.". And there is even less talk about CSP or DFEE places. No-one gives a rat's ass about it. You are in university, it is a new, level playing field. No-one is disadvantaged academically because he/she got a lower UAI, or that he/she is a full-fee paying student. To an extent, I would agree with kmk that doing law in itself, is an achievement. To a degree, some people would even be sympathetic to full-fee paying students, knowing how hard it is to get to even a full fee paying position (in high UAI cut-off degrees, like law) in the first place.

So don't worry. What matters is that you are doing a very challenging but rewarding degree at university. THAT, not your HSC or UAI, would count for the future.

Oh, and do follow kmk's advice and apply for a transfer to HECS law via UAC. I think you need a D average across all your subjects to be competitive amongst the pool of potential students that did their HSC most recently.

Enjoy your time at UNSW, uberlovesounds! You have my respect and empathy.

sarevok

HSC

relax friend. some law students are the incredibly bright hecs kids with 99+, some are transfers, some are in on eas, some are full-fee, some are graduate law. there is a huge variety of diff. marks among students.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

uberlovesounds said:
So, I'm doing full-fee law at unsw. I had really severe health problems last year therefore I didn't do my best in hsc/vce! Seeing that uni is about to start soon, peeps will definitely ask "what's your uai", "are you doing hecs?", "what school did you go to?"

People tend to be judgemental and if I tell them I"m doing full-fee, would they snob me off and label me as incompetent and stupid? Note: I'm very insecure, sad but true. To most people, insecure people studying law would be ironic as you're suppose to be open-minded and ''stand up for yourself". But I love property law and want to be a mega superstar real estate agent cum lawyer.

So yeah, I don't think I should lie about my UAI or whether I'm doing the hecs/fee option, right? Are most of the law students pretentious snobs?

Cheers,
Uberlovesounds
I'm doing full fee at UNSW too. I'm just lucky my dad's organisation covers my ass in terms of university fees until I'm 24. So if anyone had the choice between having your uni fees being paid for u or having to eventual pay them off later through HECS, what would you apply for?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Yes, yes they are.

<_<
>_>
<_<

With that out of the way, not really. :p About the DFEE/CSP thing, I can can say with certainty, that not once will it be mentioned, not once. It really doesn't come up in any conversation. The UAI will, inevitably, but how you got there really won't. If they did berate you for it, you could mention that thanks to the federal government, you're one of the many that are supporting UNSW these days, and tell em to shove their beliefs up their ass.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

mr/ms u.l.s.,

i would just like to clarify a few points to put your mind at ease:

1. noone really cares about UAI about 2 days into university. we have a significant number of full-fee students, a large number of transferees, graduates and those who enter on an EAS basis.

2. unlike high school, university has less of a 'year grade' feel. you won't know everyone in your graduating year, and there is a lot of individual space. should you feel vexed by certain persons, you are very free to dissociate yourself from them.

3. there are a variety of social activities and peer support to help you settle in. for example, the student law society has first year law camp and peer support (LawMSN) programs. the faculty also has an peer-tutoring arrangement to help students adjust to law studies.

4. as with society, there is a spectrum of law kids. we're only human after all. should you encounter any distasteful members, just ignore them.

best wishes and welcome to law school,
frig.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Just remind them that if you weren't there, their place might not exist either.

HSC

Thanks for all of your replies. Anyhoo, my insecurities come mainly from studying three years in a highly competitive selective girls high school, where particularly all the asian kids only care about about grades. Hmmm, that's why I expect law school to be filled with egotistic kids who think they're all so awesome with their 99++ scores! I'm sure most of them aren't that supercilious.

Bleh, I'll just ignore those arrogant snobs if I meet them. Stuff the UAI, I'm done with that. I'm excited, scared and nervous on starting uni!! Btw, is there a law camp in UNSW?

Good Night,
Uberlovesounds!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

thats the attitude i like to see

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

uberlovesounds said:
Thanks for all of your replies. Anyhoo, my insecurities come mainly from studying three years in a highly competitive selective girls high school, where particularly all the asian kids only care about about grades. Hmmm, that's why I expect law school to be filled with egotistic kids who think they're all so awesome with their 99++ scores! I'm sure most of them aren't that supercilious.

Bleh, I'll just ignore those arrogant snobs if I meet them. Stuff the UAI, I'm done with that. I'm excited, scared and nervous on starting uni!! Btw, is there a law camp in UNSW?

Good Night,
Uberlovesounds!
Yes there is law camp for first years :)

And as has been mentioned no-one will care about your UAI and they won't ask you. To be honest, only a complete wanker would go around asking people their UAIs at university. Uni is very different to the small bitchy-competitiveness of high school. People mind their own business and generally don't care.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

lie all you want if you think you will get a negative response. What i usually do it i either tell people " i didnt get a uai" or i tap my nose asif to say i got a low uai but still got in. Not to say iam ashamed of my marks [83.something] but its not really peoples business and the people who would make anything of it [and hence be asking you about it] are the people i dont want to asociate with.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

The only way people will know about your fee status is if you bring it up.

As has been said numerous times already, the UAI means shit all at university. There will probaby be someone stuck in year 12 who keeps asking everyone what their UAI is, but they will drop out 6 months into the course.

Honestly, I think you're being far too paranoid. If people assume I'm a 'stupid' law student because I got a UAI of 87.95, I'll show them my D average and tell them to bite it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Nobody asks, there are people who have be admitted as mature aged students, transfer students, under EAS etc...nobody cares its not that bitchy or anything. Good luck!!!

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

uberlovesounds said:
Are most of the law students pretentious snobs?

Cheers,
Uberlovesounds
Yes. I would say many law students are pretentious snobs.

Regardless your UAI or however the hell you got into your course is no one's business. As already pointed out nobody of any real substance cares about how you got in and what your UAI was. A high UAI doesn't equal a good law student or lawyer. Just put your head down, work hard and try and believe in yourself. I know it's hard, but some self belief goes some way to helping you ignore those kinds of peoples.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)