Bringbacktheshred's "Band That You Haven't Heard Of That Kicks Your Arse" Thread. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Welcome one and all to the musical extravaganza that is Bringbacktheshred's "Band That You Haven't Heard Of That Kicks Your Arse or That bringbacktheshred Thinks You Should Listen To" Thread. (Yes, the thread title was too big for the box)

(Edited due to popular demand)The premise here is simple: every week (or whenever I damn well feel like) I will post a relatively obscure band that I hope most of you will never have heard of. Now I would upload an album from each band, but BoS has rules and morals.

Anyway, on with the show:

Band 1: The Sound Of Animals Fighting.

Style:
I have no idea. Classed by themselves as "Progressive/Experimental Rock".
Description/Bio:
Crass, experimental and haunting, The Sound Of Animals Fighting is the collective, concerted efforts of musicians across the gamut of independent music. These artists have cast themselves together to build a new sort of album, one that is simultaneously homage and reinvention to and of the genres that these artists adore. Tiger & the Duke, built with a distinctly operatic structure, fuses elements of electronic, hardcore and progressive music into a cohesive, alternate sound void of broader qualifying characteristics that would anchor it in any one style of music.

The artists themselves remain anonymous, for reasons of legality (and mystery) and have taken on animal pseudonyms; the Walrus, the Bear, the Ferret, the Hyena, the Skunk, the Swan, the Raven, the Tiger, the Tortoise, the Dog, the Llama, the Octopus, the Armadillo, the Nightingale and the Lynx, each of whom lent their hands to the work in its final form.

My word: These guys are just plain awesome. Their production has a very unique sound, they play very unique and very experimental music and it really rocks. Try to listen to "Tiger And The Duke" if you can, as it shits all over their new album.

Listen:
http://www.purevolume.com/thesoundofanimalsfighting
http://www.myspace.com/thesoundofanimalsfighting
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Sound+of+Animals+Fighting

Keep it real kids.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Already heard of them. Long ago.
This thread fails.

But I agree about Tiger & the Duke being a shitload better than Lover, the Lord Has Left Us

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
bringbackshred said:
The premise here is simple: every week (or whenever I damn well feel like) I will post a relatively obscure band (i.e. Not mainstream) that I hope most of you radio and top 40 kiddies will never have heard of. To all of the people with intelligent music taste out there, you probably have heard of these bands before, so don't fret, I might even throw something in that you haven't heard of either.
Ohh, goody :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Already heard of them. Long ago.
This thread fails.

But I agree about Tiger & the Duke being a shitload better than Lover, the Lord Has Left Us
Remember that the target audience for this thread is not educated people like yourself.

Oh, and I found out tonight that TSOAF are releasing a new album this year. better be good.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah, apparently their next album will only contain the three core members (RX Bandits) and Anthony Green :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
In case you couldn't figure out, I don't know heaps about them - I just love the music.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Band 2: Russian Circles.

Russian Circles have it. That's really what it all boils down to in the end, after all the promotion, the interviews, the advertisements, the one-sheets, the haranguing from publicists: Does this band have it -- that impossible-to-define something that you can't explain, but instantly recognize? It's what makes a band indelibly memorable and sends people scurrying to the merch table after their set. Up until recently, Russian Circles didn't have much to sell those people besides a self-released four-song demo. That's because the band only formed in late 2004, after the break-up of Dakota/Dakota, the math-rock band in which guitarist Mike Sullivan and bassist Colin DeKuiper played. When drummer Dave Turncrantz moved to Chicago after he quit his old band, Riddle Of Steel, Russian Circles cohered into something formidable. When the band started playing out, word of mouth spread quickly and continues to do so. Russian Circles habitually steal the show from headliners, even though they don't play the most accessible music. First, they're instrumental, which for many people is an instant strike against them. Second, they play an intense amalgam of punk, metal, indie rock and even prog -- not exactly the kind of stuff aired on your local alt-rock station, or college station for that matter. But people who don't even like instrumental bands still rush Russian Circles' merch table after their sets, buying an average of 40 demos per show. For bands hawking their wares at the same table, it's an impressive sight.

My Word: These guys win over everything ever. Post rock with a slightly heavier attitude in essence. This stuff is great to listen to anywhere - be it the car while driving, the desk while studying or whatever, it all works. A lot of post rock can be fairly complex and stupid to listen to, or it can be way too ambient. Russian Circles hits the nail on the head in terms of the dynamics and flow of their music. "Enter" is one of my top 5 favourite albums ever.

Listen: http://www.myspace.com/russiancircles
http://www.purevolume.com/russiancircles
http://www.last.fm/music/Russian+Circles

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Sorry I wasn't crazy about that Russian Circles song on their myspace.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Anyone who feels the need to tell me this thread fails obviously is pretty insecure.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
bringbackshred said:
Anyone who feels the need to tell me this thread fails obviously is pretty insecure.
this thread fails. that doesnt mean im insecure. it means you are shit.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Born Dancer said:
this thread fails. that doesnt mean im insecure. it means you are shit.
Thanks. I really feel influenced by a statement coming from someone who 1. I son the internet. 2. I don't know. 3. I don't care about. and 4. I am better than.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)