Brisingr (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
The series is not bad if you've never read a book before in your life.

Otherwise it's the most undeserving pile of crap combining bits of Star Wars, the Lord of the Rings, the Belgariad, Harry Potter, the Dragonriders of Pern, etc.

Can't believe there's an equally terrible movie for it out there.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yeah well i havnt ever read these kinda books before, i dont watch star wars, i admit its kinda similar to lotr, character-wise, and the movie was absolute shite, decided to go off in its own tangent, which led down shite street.

This is probably why i reckon its the best book series in the world, but seriously, if u havnt read it, then Eragon is a must read.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
kony said:
The series is not bad if you've never read a book before in your life.

Otherwise it's the most undeserving pile of crap combining bits of Star Wars, the Lord of the Rings, the Belgariad, Harry Potter, the Dragonriders of Pern, etc.

Can't believe there's an equally terrible movie for it out there.
Lol... true.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Patar said:
Lol... true.
I have yet to see anyone reply to what I have written in reply to the plots of different books.

If you don't like the book, don't bag it out. That just shows you being immature as not being able to respect other peoples preferences.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
And btw, not every book is 100% original, most books are influenced by the older classic books, others have a degree of uniqueness around them
I'll address your point. While this is true, and we are very much products of our context, Eragon has done a little more than appropriating ideas.

Most books would borrow ideas and bring something new to the table; Eragon does not.
I would ask to find me five original concept ideas from the first two books and I'll tell you where he's ripped it off from.

Similarly, even discarding this, the book itself was poorly written; ioveruse of adverbs ("Sorry," apologized Brom quickly) including wooden and implausible dialouge, his vocab seems to have been helped with the use of a Thesaurus to deliberately try and impress his audience (which are supposedly children anyway)....

I'll give you this review - read it, and get back to me, it does a very good job at explaining just how bad eragon is:

http://swankivy.com/writing/essays/info/inheritance/eragon.html

loved this quote from that review:

"Okay. Attractive, complex map on inside cover. Flowery language, often to the point of ridiculousness (such as "when he would return, he knew not"). Elves are fair, beautiful, long-lived people with another language. Dwarves are short, stocky, bearded people who wear chain mail and use axes. Dragons breathe fire. Creatures called Urgals are fairly uncomfortable with the sun and speak a guttural language, though there are the "elite" forms of these which don't seem to mind the sun and have multiple times the strength and endurance. All swords seem to have names. Hmm, except for the fact that the name "Urgal" is used and people can actually ride the dragons, I think this might just be Middle-Earth. I kept expecting to see a hobbit."

Last edited:

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Clearly, I have read the book. and very clearly, you are not well-read and are bought by a neat cover jacket.

Let's keep the petty insults down and the valid points up if you want to debate. I gave you my reasons. It says a lot that you are 17 and are arguing for the brilliant literary experience that is supposedly a child's book.

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Omie Jay said:
clearly u havnt read the book. Read it, then come up with excuses as to why it apparantly sux.
No, because it will clearly degenerate my spelling and grammar usage as it has obviously done to yours. Call me a pedantic prick, but could you please have the liberty to type correctly (unless you're using a neologism like I frequently do i.e. Caburwagurgashism!).

How does Eragon measure against the Dickens/Hardy/Bronte/etc yardstick? I know it's not fair to pit Paolini against the prowess of English novelists, but who's gonna stop me?

bawd

HSC
Patar said:
Clearly, I have read the book. and very clearly, you are not well-read and are bought by a neat cover jacket.

Let's keep the petty insults down and the valid points up if you want to debate. I gave you my reasons. It says a lot that you are 17 and are arguing for the brilliant literary experience that is supposedly a child's book.
Dude, this is the internet. As far as you know, I could be some 76 year old man who has too much time on his hands. :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Then I shall talk as if I had been sired by Laetri himself, laugh out loud (or lots of laughs, whichever pleases your mind)!

I guess I just love that book, and don't feel too happy when someone bags out my most favourite book of all. If people don't like it then that's up to them. I just got really excited when I saw a thread labelled 'Brisingr', so lets all calm down and talk like elvenfolk, I mean gentlemen.

Sure it sort of copies star wars, but I hate star wars, as far as I am concerned, star wars doesn't exist.

I guess this book would appeal to younger people and is heaps cliche'd, I still love it though, and if someone hasn't read it, they should really consider reading it.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
bawd said:
Dude, this is the internet. As far as you know, I could be some 76 year old man who has too much time on his hands. :)
...and I could be Chris Paolini, peeking at people's opinions of my latest book! At least now I know I should remove Darth Vader from book 4, and stick to Darth Galbatorix :p

kony

HSC
The Anora River flowed between them and the town, spanned by a stout bridge. As they approached it, a greasy man stepped (out) from behind a bush and barred their way. His shirt was too short and his dirty stomach spilled over a rope belt. Behind his cracked lips, his teeth looked like crumbling tombstones.

“You c’n stop right there. This’s my bridge. Gotta pay t’ get over.”
“How much?” asked Brom in a resigned voice. He pulled out a pouch and the bridge keeper brightened.
“Five crowns” he said, pulling his lips into a broad smile.
Eragon’s temper flared at the exorbitant price, and he started to complain hotly, but Brom silenced him with a quick look. The coins were wordlessly handed over. The man put them into a sack hanging from his belt.
“Thank’ee much” he said in a mocking tone and stood out of the way.
As Brom stepped forward, he stumbled and caught the bridge keeper’s arm to support himself.
“Watch y’re step” snarled the grimy man sidling away.
“Sorry” apologised Brom, and continued over the bridge with Eragon.
“Why didn’t you haggle? He skinned you alive!” exclaimed Eragon. He probably doesn’t even own the bridge.”
“Probably” agreed Brom.
“Then why pay him?”
“Because you can’t argue with all the fools in the world. It’s easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they’re not paying attention.” Brom opened his hand, and a pile of coins glinted in the sun.
“You cut his purse!” said Eragon incredulously. Brom pocketed the money with a wink. There was a sudden howl of anguish from the other side of the river. “I’d say our friend has just discovered his loss.”​

Beside the ford stood a small hut. The man who owned it was a sharp eyed fellow in a green tunic who demanded a toll to cross. Rather than argue with him, Sparhawk paid what he asked. “Tell me neighbour,” he asked when the transaction was completed “how far is the Pelosian border?”
“About five leagues” the sharp eyed man replied. “If you move along, you should reach it by afternoon.”
They splashed on across the ford. When they reached the other side, Talen rode up to Sparhawk. Here’s your money back,” the young boy said, handing over several coins.
Sparhawk gave him a startled look.
“I don’t object to paying a toll to cross a bridge” Talen sniffed. “After all, someone had to go to the expense of building it. That fellow was just taking advantage of a natural shallow place in the river. It didn’t cost him anything, so why should he make a profit from it?
“You cut his purse, then?”
“Naturally.”
“And there was more in it than just my coins?”
“A bit. Let’s call it my fee for recovering your money. After all, I deserve a profit too, don’t I?”
“You’re incorrigible.”
“I needed the practice.”
From the other side of the river came a howl of anguish.
“I’d say he just discovered his loss” observed Sparhawk.
“It does sort of sound that way, doesn’t it?​
maybe it's coz he's home-schooled.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
yeah... some of the stuff he writes is blatent plagurism...

nah, not just cause of his education. A lot of teenage boys write like that and use ideas they think people won't pick up on.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I'll address your point. While this is true, and we are very much products of our context, Eragon has done a little more than appropriating ideas.
I can see that it does appear like that, but I enjoy the book for what it is, a book. It dosen't have to be the fanciest bit of writing ever created. If it provides me with entertainment and a way of passing time, then t'is a good book in my opinion.

How bad Eragon is, is subjective. As i stated previously;
One persons rubbish may be another persons treasure. =]

shayla

HSC
I finished it two days ago, i dont know how to react to the book.... confused but happy lol with how it turned out.

Seishunamigo713

HSC
So I am pretty sure I will be slaughtered or whatever for this, but one of the main reasons the book makes me cringe when I hear the title is Arya. Surely, I am not the only one who felt like tearing at the pages to destroy the 'amazingness' that she was (apparently).

You could tell it was written by someone as young as Paolini and I didn't find any merit in it at all.
But then again, I liked Twilight. Well, at least Edward. bias or what.

Eragon pained me greatly.
I can't believe I bought the first two books.

How can it be better than Harry Potter? Sure, HP isnt a literary great, but at had anyone read a story like it before?
No intense feelings of cliche's and waiting for either Eragon to magically (probably the wrong word to use lol) save the day, or Arya to whip out her amazon-elf-woman-princess killing tactics.
I'll stop.

kaiyam1

HSC
did anyone else catch the doctor who reference on page 204? ("Adrift upon the sea of time..."

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bawd said:
No, because it will clearly degenerate my spelling and grammar usage as it has obviously done to yours. Call me a pedantic prick, but could you please have the liberty to type correctly (unless you're using a neologism like I frequently do i.e. Caburwagurgashism!).

How does Eragon measure against the Dickens/Hardy/Bronte/etc yardstick? I know it's not fair to pit Paolini against the prowess of English novelists, but who's gonna stop me?
It's not about him being up there with Dickens. It's about him being more terrible than Feist, Martin, Hobb, Pratchett, King and a thousand other fantasy authors.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
It's not about him being up there with Dickens. It's about him being more terrible than Feist, Martin, Hobb, Pratchett, King and a thousand other fantasy authors.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)