Brisingr (1 Viewer)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
withoutaface said:
It's not about him being up there with Dickens. It's about him being more terrible than Feist, Martin, Hobb, Pratchett, King and a thousand other fantasy authors.
+ 2

Paolini is no more than a lucky man whose parents happen to run a publishing company.

His writing is the most cliched, poorly written trash I've ever read.

morning storm

HSC
i am a big fan of the series however this last one annoyed me

the plot was really thin and it became very evident by the end it was one book split into 2.

also eragon has gotten really emo. i really think paolini suffers from various inferioty complexes.

HSC
at first when i read eragon there were quite a few things i didn't like, but i still enjoyed it. however, i re-read it again recently and despised it. aside from ripping off star wars and lord of the rings, it's cliched and badly-written... i hate arya with a passion, she's so unrealistically perfect and 'omg speshul' that it grates on my nerves. same with eragon, i'm pretty sure the only character i didn't end up despising was murtagh and even he was fairly archetypal.

a friend of mine asked me recently what i thought of the series, because he had just bought it, and i told him that i didn't want to colour his perception by telling him what i thought. he came to the same conclusion as me.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lotr + WoT + eddings + leguin

can't think of something original in eragon series, tbh
nor is writing any good

btw, out of curiosity, all those people who are ardently defending eragon, which famous fantasy series have you read :eek:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ive read very little fantasy, harry potter, amulet of samarkand (first book), book of lies, except for HP, the other books arent even well known fantasy. Ive seen lotr movies, and i hate star wars, so i cannot make any connection to star wars, although there seems to be. Eragon (book 1) did remind me about lotr a bit, urgals = urukai, but i still love eragon and eldest. Im loving brisingr so far.

Ice Goddess

HSC
lotr + WoT + eddings + leguin

can't think of something original in eragon series, tbh
nor is writing any good

btw, out of curiosity, all those people who are ardently defending eragon, which famous fantasy series have you read :eek:
The AMulet of Sarmakand, Deltora Q. the Obernewton C. and obviously everyone's read HP. I liked it in Early Highschool years and in Primary, but i reckon you grow out of it? Well, just after I'd just forgotten all about fantasy and turned to historical fiction or something Eragon turned up. It was shockingly good. Ok, so I haven't read Star Wars, but wats with the whole playgerism thing? It's really interesting. And I don't think its cliched at all! He gradually increases his magical powers, making terrible mistakes along the way ( realistically like any 17 yr old boy, fidlign with magic). And so Arya's a little perfect, but i guess it works for me. SHe's supposed to make you feel WOW and her perfection serves to keep the distance between her and Eragon (but she'll prob. end up with him in the end ;).

I don't know. Everything just fits for me.

Saphira's witty remarks.
The balance of happiness/sorrow
The balance of romance/adventure/fantasy
Its ENTERTAINING and that's what a book is for.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
The AMulet of Sarmakand, Deltora Q. the Obernewton C. and obviously everyone's read HP. I liked it in Early Highschool years and in Primary, but i reckon you grow out of it? Well, just after I'd just forgotten all about fantasy and turned to historical fiction or something Eragon turned up. It was shockingly good. Ok, so I haven't read Star Wars, but wats with the whole playgerism thing? It's really interesting. And I don't think its cliched at all! He gradually increases his magical powers, making terrible mistakes along the way ( realistically like any 17 yr old boy, fidlign with magic). And so Arya's a little perfect, but i guess it works for me. SHe's supposed to make you feel WOW and her perfection serves to keep the distance between her and Eragon (but she'll prob. end up with him in the end ;).

I don't know. Everything just fits for me.

Saphira's witty remarks.
The balance of happiness/sorrow
The balance of romance/adventure/fantasy
Its ENTERTAINING and that's what a book is for.
100% agreed, exact reason why i absolutely love this series.

i nearly cried at the death at the end :eek:

nitelite

HSC
I have one reply to everything in this thread ->
eragon-sporkings - home
Read it and weep. It's funny because it's true. It's sad because it's true. Ohohoho.

Well, anyhow, onto my personal opinion - Paloni can't write. God knows how it got published. He rapes the thesaurus several times every chapter, the storyline doesn't make sense when you consider it, and the main character is Gary Stu. Who just happens to be in love with miss Mary Sue. I read all three books. I... lived through them, and they certainly aided me in increasing my appreciation for actual works of literature. Or at least stuff that makes sense. Paloni also likes to use the word 'thrust' a whole lot in his descriptions. Aharharhar.

Yep.

On an off-topic note, I don't really like Eddings(RIP). He was more bearable than Eragon, but the style put me off.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
First two books were reasonably good, kept me entertained by I have to admit it was quite cliched. However, the third book was disappointing, nothing bloody happened lol..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)