Bromine water + cyclohexene (1 Viewer)

Krypton

HSC
Hey!!

My teacher told me that the reaction between cyclohexene and bromine water (aqueous) results in Hydrogen bromide and C6H10BROH --> this structure is also cyclic. What is the name and state of this product??? And are cyclohexene and cyclohexane liquids?

Thanx

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
cyclohexene and cyclohexane are liquids-this is a main reason why they are preferred over shorter chain alkenes and alkanes such as ethene and ethane for school laboratory experiments-because gaseous forms-much harder to contain, and much more easier to expose to naked flame source and cause dangerous explosion, C6H10BrOH is called 2-bromocyclohexanol and it is likely to be in a liquid state-ask your chemistry teacher to confirm this, http://www.youblisher.com/p/244950-Week1-intro-polymer/ -check page 4 of the document, it states the product is in liquid state, and you can also google it to confirm, but cyclohexene formula is C6H10, and bromine water(aqueous) is HOBr, I don't think hydrogen bromide can be a product along with your other cyclic product to make a balanced equation-check with your teacher again to make sure. Hope this helps:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)