Budget 2014 (1 Viewer)

hayleyemma96

HSC
Raising the price of fuel may be fine for some people but for others they'll seek an alternative, they might end up riding the bike to work or using more public transport. Charging $7 will in fact cause people to consider whether or not it is worth going because people that struggle to make ends meet and live paycheck to paycheck will need to actually think is it worth it.

In the past if a struggling family member feels as if they're getting sick they'll go to the doctor to get checked up because they can't afford to not work as they need every dollar they earn. Now people won't just be able to go in case they feel they're getting sick because if they're not its $7 wasted.

Many of us may live a comfortable life and for us $7 is the price you pay for a couple of coffees. But for people that are constantly in fear of making ends meet and don't even have the luxury of buying a cup of coffee, seven dollars isn't a measly amount to cough up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you Phaze! I was trying to think of a way to say exactly what you've said. That's like me, I'm able to drive my car but because I can't afford petrol/parking, I choose to take public transport to uni. It's a lot cheaper for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Many of us may live a comfortable life and for us $7 is the price you pay for a couple of coffees. But for people that are constantly in fear of making ends meet and don't even have the luxury of buying a cup of coffee, seven dollars isn't a measly amount to cough up

That's why there's a low income health concession card. What part of this do none of you understand.

Hayley, go get a low income health care card then.

hayleyemma96

HSC
stop making it out that you have a hard knock life then. I'm sure your parents will give you 7 dollars to go visit the GP. If they don't, go to centrelink and tell them you have a serious breakdown of relationship.
I never said I have a hard knock life. I'm simply making a point that for a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck the $7 payment is tough on them.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The 10y treasury bond rate most recently is 3.77%, that's not too bad for HECS borrowers, I guess maybe I won't pay it back.

hayleyemma96

HSC
That's why there's a low income health concession card. What part of this do none of you understand.

It seems like you don't understand the actual terms of the co-payment for children and low-income healthcare card holders. You pay for the first 10 visits = $70

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC

They still need to pay, what part of that don't you understand? It's still money, it may be less money but none the less it is an amount of money they need to factor into their family expenses.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
$7 gp co-payment is nothing, lol at complaining about this, but it could (will) be a lot more in the future?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
It seems like you don't understand the actual terms of the co-payment for children and low-income healthcare card holders. You pay for the first 10 visits = $70

Are you seriously telling me you are unable to set $70 dollars a year aside for healthcare needs?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
$7 gp co-payment is nothing, lol at complaining about this, but it could (will) be a lot more in the future?
Sure maybe not to most of us, but to some people it is. You can't just forget the people in the country that struggle to make ends meet.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Raising the price of fuel may be fine for some people but for others they'll seek an alternative, they might end up riding the bike to work or using more public transport. Charging $7 will in fact cause people to consider whether or not it is worth going because people that struggle to make ends meet and live paycheck to paycheck will need to actually think is it worth it.

In the past if a struggling family member feels as if they're getting sick they'll go to the doctor to get checked up because they can't afford to not work as they need every dollar they earn. Now people won't just be able to go in case they feel they're getting sick because if they're not its $7 wasted.

Many of us may live a comfortable life and for us $7 is the price you pay for a couple of coffees. But for people that are constantly in fear of making ends meet and don't even have the luxury of buying a cup of coffee, seven dollars isn't a measly amount to cough up.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with isidurr.

If people can afford to have 1 extra beer, then they can afford a 7 dollar GP payment.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Out of the entire budget I still can't believe this is the one thing people are bitching the most about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...time-visit-doctor-fined-miss-appointment.html

Even in the UK DOCTORS are arguing for a GP fee. 10 pounds is 20 aussie. 2/3rds of the western world pays for GP. Yeah I'm sure their population is facing Armageddon.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Sure maybe not to most of us, but to some people it is. You can't just forget the people in the country that struggle to make ends meet.
It's half a labour hour on minimum wage. Are you seriously saying for your health and livelihood, your survival instincts won't kick in over half a labour hour?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Not when you factor in the other costs of living....

Maybe not buy 3 packs of smokes in a year? or stop drinking 10 beers in a year? Maybe set aside 2 coffees a week?

hayleyemma96

HSC
It's not worth arguing with you anymore...you're obviously a rich kid whose had everything handed to him since his was born. "Who cares about the working class? I get everything I want so I don't care."

hayleyemma96

HSC
Maybe not buy 3 packs of smokes in a year? or stop drinking 10 beers in a year? Maybe set aside 2 coffees a week?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WOW now I see your true colours.
1) I don't buy coffee but we've already established thT
2) not all low income earners smoke or drink
3) many can't afford those luxuries anyway

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with isidurr.

If people can afford to have 1 extra beer, then they can afford a 7 dollar GP payment.
That isn't the case with everyone, there are people out there who don't get to spend money as comfortably as we do, they work really hard to earn what little money they get, and to them money is a lot more valuable than it would be to me or heaps of other people out there.

Sure seven dollars is worth seven dollars but the value of seven dollars is different amongst people. For someone it's a box of chocolates or a drink or two whilst for other families it may be the amount they fall short to pay a bill.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How ironic

I don't see people bitching about the interest which they will pay on their future uni loans ... Which will well be in the 1000's.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Out of the entire budget I still can't believe this is the one thing people are bitching the most about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...time-visit-doctor-fined-miss-appointment.html

Even in the UK DOCTORS are arguing for a GP fee. 10 pounds is 20 aussie. 2/3rds of the western world pays for GP. Yeah I'm sure their population is facing Armageddon.
so i read up on the "think tank" that came up with this idea in the UK

http://www.keepournhspublic.com/pdf/Reform.pdf

wow so a think tank with an advisory board consisting of higher-ups in major pharmaceutical companies that surveys the doctors within it's organisation (a miniscule minority going against the majority opinion) wants to increase the cost of medication and GP visits

seems legit and we should defs follow suit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)