Budget 2014 (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Honestly there are heaps bigger life recking things in the budget than $7 gp co-payment, probably the least thing to worry about.

If you're aged under 30 and unemployed, you're fucked lol, suicide is the only option.
Pension/dsp etc indexed to inflation instead of cpi - about time, it's gonna cost a lot more than $7 to ur budget though.
Paid parental leave - cunt's fucked
Foreign aid - dead for sure.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Honestly there are heaps bigger life recking things in the budget than $7 gp co-payment, probably the least thing to worry about.
Pretty much this. People got their priorities fucked on the budget. It'll be funny if the libs pass the budget in trade of the GP copayment xD

Phaze: Seriously. 7 dollars is HALF a labour hour here.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I rarely get sick so there really is no need but I was just making the point that if I had to (without help from my parents) I would be living on $1.50 a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That infers that you would be independent so you would be entitled to welfare if you only made that much per week.

So no, you wouldn't be living on $1.50pw.

hayleyemma96

HSC
That infers that you would be independent so you would be entitled to welfare if you only made that much per week.

So no, you wouldn't be living on $1.50pw.
Actually I would. I earn $60 a week but am still living with my parents. They pay for food, clothing, bills etc (but I still contribute $20 to this) so I am still considered to be dependent on them, making me ineligible for welfare as my parents earn just over the threshold.
I'm talking about $1.50 savings a week. I just worded it wrong.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Pretty much this. People got their priorities fucked on the budget. It'll be funny if the libs pass the budget in trade of the GP copayment xD

Phaze: Seriously. 7 dollars is HALF a labour hour here.
just because there are even stupider things in the budget doesn't make this issue any less stupid.

This concern was justified in a recent study of nearly 900,000 people in the United States: co-payment increases were followed by a reduction in GP visits but also by significant increases in hospitalisation. These effects were biggest in those with lower income, less education and with pre-existing illness. The authors concluded that co-payments “may have adverse health consequences and may increase total spending on health care”.

Co-payments have also been associated with less use of important mental health services, less flu vaccination, and less screening for heart disease and breast cancer. For medications, it is often important ones that are foregone when co-payments for drugs increase; use of drugs to prevent heart disease, asthma, and other important conditions drop.

http://theconversation.com/six-dollar-co-payment-to-see-a-doctor-a-gps-view-21915

of course, as i said earlier in this post, there are probably other issues that would impact on more people in the population in worse ways, but this is an issue i have a bit more personal investment in so that's why im particularly vocal about it

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Seriously, work isn't easy to come by for everyone nor is it easy to work for as well.
Go work at a farm. There's plenty of openings. My dad got kicked out of the house when he was 16 coz my grandparents are dicks and did it to everyone. Couldn't get centrelink because theyre like "youre still living at home" and social services didn't investigate the fact that my dad got kicked out (this was the 70s). Cleaned toilets for a while, worked at restaurants and did whatever shit job people didn't want to do for money. Worked during the day and went to night college to finish highschool. Worked in a mine building housing for staff and other structures, got enough to save $500 a week and worked for DFAT and other gov shit for a while.

If my dad could've made it in the 70s, any australian with half a brain and not permanently disabled can do it. If you can't find work, in this lucky country you can get on centrelink and if you were seriously in financial destitute, i'm sure the nice doctors would waive the GP fee for you.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Actually I would. I earn $60 a week but am still living with my parents. They pay for food, clothing, bills etc (but I still contribute $20 to this) so I am still considered to be dependent on them, making me ineligible for welfare as my parents earn just over the threshold.

If you were kicked out of the house and had a complete breakdown of familial relationship, you would be classified as an independent and you would get centrelink payments. Which also means you'd get the low income health care card.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I still don't follow.

hayleyemma96

HSC
If you were kicked out of the house and had a complete breakdown of familial relationship, you would be classified as an independent and you would get centrelink payments. Which also means you'd get the low income health care card.
I was diasgreeing with the point that I wouldn't be living on $1.50 a week, not the fact that I am dependent. I have stated many times that I am dependent. I'm not independent. What I'm saying is, in my current situation I am considered to be dependent on my parents. They do pay for a majority of basic needs (food etc) but technically, I have a savings of $1.50 a week out of the money that I earn.

hayleyemma96

HSC
I still don't follow.
From what I gathered from your previous post, you argued that I am not living on $1.50 a week. I am dependent on my parents so they pay for most things (food, clothing, bills etc) but from the money that I earn a week ($60), I only save $1.50 of that as the rest goes to paying board and public transport fares.
I'm not quite sure what you were trying to achieve with the post.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I heard the Abbott government are going to introduce a 50% co-payment on medicines on the PBS. That's fucked, people will be dying for their lack of medications, Abbott screwing over the working class yet again.

Oh wait, that's actually been the policy in place since 1960, nevermind.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I was diasgreeing with the point that I wouldn't be living on $1.50 a week, not the fact that I am dependent. I have stated many times that I am dependent. I'm not independent. What I'm saying is, in my current situation I am considered to be dependent on my parents. They do pay for a majority of basic needs (food etc) but technically, I have a savings of $1.50 a week out of the money that I earn.

Why don't you go work for 18 months first, become independent and live under your parents roof and then get youth allowance. that's a smarter way of doing it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I gathered from your previous post, you argued that I am not living on $1.50 a week. I am dependent on my parents so they pay for most things (food, clothing, bills etc) but from the money that I earn a week ($60), I only save $1.50 of that as the rest goes to paying board and public transport fares.
I'm not quite sure what you were trying to achieve with the post.

As in, if your parents weren't supporting you, you would be classified as an independent and entitled to welfare payments. Because your living arrangements have been independently negotiated between yourself and your parents, it's difficult to argue against co-payments if you are classed as a dependent by choice and assuming that it isn't a strain on the family budget (assuming it won't because you said you don't need to go to the doctor very often).

So yeah, in the context of this discussion, it's a moot point.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Between ages 25 to 30 you will now get nothing lwol.

hayleyemma96

HSC
Why don't you go work for 18 months first, become independent and live under your parents roof and then get youth allowance. that's a smarter way of doing it.
I'd prefer to get a qualification first so I can gain a higher paying job quicker. I'll be at uni for three years, hopefully get into a graduate program. I'm not sick at the moment (and rarely get sick) and I manage to get by. I gained a few more shifts during two week uni break so I could save a little more and in the current process of applying for a scholarship at uni based on equity considerations (my uni has provisions in equity considerations for students who are the first in their family to go to uni) so if I am successful (considering my marks and community involvement/leadership experience required for scholarships and live in western sydney) then I'll have enough to save more each week.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I'd prefer to get a qualification first so I can gain a higher paying job quicker. I'll be at uni for three years, hopefully get into a graduate program. I'm not sick at the moment (and rarely get sick) and I manage to get by. I gained a few more shifts during two week uni break so I could save a little more and in the current process of applying for a scholarship at uni based on equity considerations (my uni has provisions in equity considerations for students who are the first in their family to go to uni) so if I am successful (considering my marks and community involvement/leadership experience required for scholarships and live in western sydney) then I'll have enough to save more each week.

and what degree are you doing that will lead you to said high paying job?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the crux of the whole co-payments debate is:

a) Will introducing a $7 fee for GP visits decrease the likelihood that the sick will see a doctor?
b) Is there actually an issue with members of the public visiting the doctor too much?
c) If so, is it worth introducing a fee which will prevent over-utilisation with the knowledge that it might prevent other people who are legitimately ill from visiting the doctor?

If there's evidence that a fee will essentially make the poor sicker, then it's poor policy. From what I can see though, studies have been made into this issue before and the results were inconclusive.

hayleyemma96

HSC
and what degree are you doing that will lead you to said high paying job?
When I say high-paying job, I mean one that would pay higher than one that requires no qualifications. I probably should've said that rather than high-paying.
I'm currently undertaking a Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Major in Accounting and Minor in Commercial Law). Plenty of graduate programs in the public service that I would definitely be interested in. I raised an argument the other night with my dad about all the cuts of public sector jobs but he said they will always have graduate programs in place (he works for the ATO which is suffering the biggest cuts atm but many jobs are voluntary redundancies)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)