Bulk up (1 Viewer)

CarlU

HSC
sportylake said:
hey
im like 6 foot and weigh just 58kg. im frecking skinny as. I need to bulk up in the off-season for football though, cos im looking to get into representative stages next season without getting smashed to pieces (again).

does protein powder work?
how often should you take it?
do you have to do weights with protein powder of what?

advice would be appreciated
Hello sportylake,

You are likely to be what is called an "ectomorph" which is a somatotype and they are generally tall, skinny and find it hard to put on weight. What is generally recommended for these types of people is a daily meal intake of 6 meals/snacks per day.

Don't just rely on supplements. Most of the bulking will come from your natural eating habits.

I don't really like handing out cheap plugs but on my site there is an article on ectomorph dieting if that helps. http://www.fitnessaus.com.au/info/ectomorph-diet.html

I wish that everything will work out for ya :uhhuh:

mugenR

HSC
Pace_T said:
personal trainer? fuck off you need a personal trainer. jesus christ there are some fucking idiots on this forum... theyre overpriced and everything you learn from them you can learn on websites like bodybuilding.com and such (there are lots, look at the articles and forums). actually you can learn a lot more online than you do with a personal trainer. don't waste your money
if read the stickies and articles on those websites and stick to them you WILL gain weight.
ahaha you moron if someone has never step foot in a gym and just wants to "bulk up" without never using free weights or machines before his most probably going to injure himself, why not spend $50 for a couple sessions and save alot of physio and massages in the future, then start learning stuff off the net, you gotta get the basics first because then you can pretty much apply it all around... and theres nothign wrong with protein shakes there handy and convenient

autumbabe1991

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
x2.

unimpressed.... to bulk up you NEED the protein and carbs. Athletes also use methods known as carbohydrate loading to make sure they have enough glycogen in the muscles for their event. Slow twitch fibers are not the most suitable, and i don't even know why they got a mention.
Having a protein shake after a workout refuels your body and sets the repairs in motion. You will not get fat off them, everything in moderation, if you have 6 a day, you're not doing yourself any favours. The formula for building muscle remains 1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight, and all this protein will not make you fat..savvy.

?? my point is that you dont need the extra carbos and proteins if your already supplying your body with enough..........

why not just start your training and then adjust your diet, yes that is prob the worst thing i could say, but what i mean is that if you eat what your body craves then everything will be okay.... i hate eating diary, and the only time i do is when my body is like mmmm milk/cheese/yoghurt etc... same with bread....

Azurie

HSC
autumbabe1991 said:
?? my point is that you dont need the extra carbos and proteins if your already supplying your body with enough..........

why not just start your training and then adjust your diet, yes that is prob the worst thing i could say, but what i mean is that if you eat what your body craves then everything will be okay.... i hate eating diary, and the only time i do is when my body is like mmmm milk/cheese/yoghurt etc... same with bread....
So your saying when someone says I want 5 large pizzas, they should eat that, and that would be a sufficent diet? Your making yourself sound stupid lol

Azurie

HSC
mugenR said:
ahaha you moron if someone has never step foot in a gym and just wants to "bulk up" without never using free weights or machines before his most probably going to injure himself, why not spend $50 for a couple sessions and save alot of physio and massages in the future, then start learning stuff off the net, you gotta get the basics first because then you can pretty much apply it all around... and theres nothign wrong with protein shakes there handy and convenient
Its called having a friend who can show them? there is no point paying someone for somethign that can be learnt on the internet. You just have to do your own reaserch, if your to lazy than yeah. pay someone to tell you basics.

Pace_T

HSC
mugenR said:
look around on the internet there are so many guides on how to do each exercise properly. even youtube has a guide on pretty much every exercise you'll need to do. trainers are money hungry, and dodos keep feeding them.

and to the person who said cos you're an ectomorph you'll need to eat 6 meals a day. i just want to point out that being skinny doesnt necessarily mean you're an ectomorph. but regardless, 6 meals a day is what i'd recommend for all 3 bodytypes.

edit: 1+ to azurie =)

mugenR

HSC
Pace_T said:
look around on the internet there are so many guides on how to do each exercise properly. even youtube has a guide on pretty much every exercise you'll need to do. trainers are money hungry, and dodos keep feeding them.

and to the person who said cos you're an ectomorph you'll need to eat 6 meals a day. i just want to point out that being skinny doesnt necessarily mean you're an ectomorph. but regardless, 6 meals a day is what i'd recommend for all 3 bodytypes.

edit: 1+ to azurie =)
this last bit is very true lol just because ur skinny you cant assume your an ectomorph and the more meals a day you have the better keeps your metabolism going and keeps feeding your muscles

CarlU

HSC
Pace_T said:
i just want to point out that being skinny doesnt necessarily mean you're an ectomorph.
MugenR said:
this last bit is very true lol just because ur skinny you cant assume your an ectomorph and the more meals a day you have the better keeps your metabolism going and keeps feeding your muscles
Well, I did say that he was "likely" to be an ectomorph, I didn't say he absolutely was. An ectomorph is also determined by their metabolism and body frame.

Last edited:

Nat3skiz

HSC
autumbabe1991 said:

lol. /thread.

autumbabe1991

HSC
Azurie said:
So your saying when someone says I want 5 large pizzas, they should eat that, and that would be a sufficent diet? Your making yourself sound stupid lol

For the record i wasnt talking to that extreme, i dont know anybody who would want five large pizzas, and to clear your mind, five large pizzas are not part of a sufficient diet so maybe you and your friends should see Jenny Craig or someone... :)

DanielNH2318

HSC
dude its all about diet, working out and rest
this is a mass building diet i use and it will bulk u up in not time
Meal 1 - 8 eggs whites, 1 cup of oats, one apple
Meal 2 - 1 Protein Shake in 250mls of skim milk, 1 potatoe
Meal 3 - 1 and half cups of brown rices 130gram of tuna
Meal 4 - 250g of chicken breast, 1 sweet potato and a cup of veges
Meal 5 - 1 Steak,1 sweet potato
Pre workout - half a cup of oats 30g of whey protein, 1 orange
Post Workout - 50g of maltodextrin and 40 grams of whey
-get a personal trainer to set u up a work out program
i hope this helps dude, if u got any questions just ask

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
DanielNH2318 said:
i hope you don't do that everyday. That mean schedule would become boring.
Its' best to mix up your meals while not going over your daily energy intake.

Instinct77

HSC
DanielNH2318 said:
x2 great example of what to eat.

I started off 2 years ago at 5ft11 myself and 63 kgs now im 90kgs at almost the same bodyfat, competing last year in a bodybuilding comp while planning to do two in 09.

firstly, theres a difference between "bulking up" and adding lean muscle mass, if you'd like to "bulk up" and gain scale weight it wont matter what form of lifting your doing if your eating above maintinence calories for your bodyweight you'll gain weight. Simple calories in vs calories out. Adding lean mass involves slowly increasing your calories to get enough to grow, but you won't grow without sufficient training.

I'd reccomend starting off eating 5-7 small meals a day with plenty of low gi carbs/healthy fats in all meals except for around post workout.

yes take protein powder, around 2-3 times a day unless your prepared to eat 5-7 protein sources from whole food day in day out.

to begin with to learn how to do the exercises get a program worked out by the pt at your gym, if you have a knowledgable friend get help from him as pt's usually no nothings except the basics these days(generally)

make sure to get 8-10 hours rest every night ,8 as a minimum.

stick to compound exercises, eg deadlifts,squats,bench,rows,widegrip chins,hacksquats, ect. Lift heavy, train in 6-12 rep range and generally increase calories as you get bigger.

this well help you bulk up!

ace17

HSC
Instinct77 said:
x2 great example of what to eat.

I started off 2 years ago at 5ft11 myself and 63 kgs now im 90kgs at almost the same bodyfat, competing last year in a bodybuilding comp while planning to do two in 09...
Whoa that's a top effort, well done.

To the OP, eating a shitload and basic compound exercises along with plenty of recovery time should see you net some decent gains, the key is patience. That said, your genetics will have the final say in how big you are and can be a huge limiting factor, especially during the teenage years. Although once again, getting a good routine happening and perserverance is the best way.

Nat3skiz

HSC
shinji said:
i hope you don't do that everyday. That mean schedule would become boring.
Its' best to mix up your meals while not going over your daily energy intake.
ay its a schedule that achieves awesome results, you need to be committed to achieve a great physique.

Azurie

HSC
autumbabe1991 said:
For the record i wasnt talking to that extreme, i dont know anybody who would want five large pizzas, and to clear your mind, five large pizzas are not part of a sufficient diet so maybe you and your friends should see Jenny Craig or someone... :)
Shut up, I can eat 5 pizzas if I want to, its sufficient diet

sportylake

HSC
HEYA

thought id give u guys an update (been about 5-6 weeks no), ive been eating like a troll and put on 2.5 kilos! I havent been able to hit gym but :( HSC study is making me preoccupied at the moment but ater ive got nothing else to do for 3 weeks so im gonna go 3-4 times a week hopfully. been doing a bit of free weights crap at home but with some dumbells and stuff. Im pretty happy where im at though, if i keep this up i can easily put on another 5-6 kilos before pre-season in febuary. I think the best thing has been calorie counting and calculating my protein intake to make sure that im getting enough food everyday. Found some good calculators on net for info about how much to eat and i keep track of everything, and if im ever short ill go wip something up in the kitchen to make sure i meet my goal. Anyways thanks for all the advice fellas...

joshDRUM

Double Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sportylake said:
hey
im like 6 foot and weigh just 58kg. im frecking skinny as. I need to bulk up in the off-season for football though, cos im looking to get into representative stages next season without getting smashed to pieces (again).

does protein powder work?
how often should you take it?
do you have to do weights with protein powder of what?

advice would be appreciated
I would recommend getting a Gym Membership
And also buy, or borrow this book
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?isbn=9780736063685
I use it, and its so in depth
Hope i could help
Dont worry about protein powder right now, consult a personal trainer for that later, once you have started with a training schedule

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)