Bull, What do you guys think and want? (1 Viewer)

Ruchir

HSC
Dear all,

Just to try and get as many students as possible involved, I thought I'd post here. What do you think of the Bull this year. We always love feedback and contributions(I should add, I'm one of the editors).

If you have anything that you want to contribute or have anything to suggest, do so here or email it to us at editors[at]usu[dot]usyd[dot]edu[dot]au .

Thanks, and looking forward to all of your responses. And have a great easter!

Cheers,
Ruchir

Black Faery

HSC
N/A
The money wasted on the Bull should go towards improving university education. You and the other editors are a disgrace.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I really like the bull and think it's a great way to foster a sense of community at USyd, especially since it's so big (uni).

I'd really appreciate if you could start listing/advertising when queer stuff is on. I don't know if it's your "fault" or the people from the Queer Collective end, but I've been told to "just check the bull" for events, but they're never listed, making it hard to go to stuff.

Cheers!

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Black Faery said:
The money wasted on the Bull should go towards improving university education. You and the other editors are a disgrace.
Well, what an interesting attitude you've.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
What the Bull needs is a subeditor. Some of the spelling errors are painful. (Eg: in this week's article on asylum seekers 'Nauru' was consistently written as 'Naru'.) Also, a lot of the articles wander around in search of a point. So more editorial intervention would be good as well.

Also, this week's multicultural-themed issue was painful in its 'objectification of the Other', 'Australian imperialism', ''difference' as 'enriching' of monolithic white culture as though other cultures can only exist on its periphery', 'mainstream interpretation of multiculturalism pits ethnicities against the white hegemony', 'systemic, societal, institutional, omnipresent, and epistemologically embedded phenomenon', blah blah blah. It's meant to be a student newspaper, not a competition to see how faux-academic we can sound.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^Agreed. It needs to be more fun.

It's not a bad magazine. Granted, it's not as good as Honi Soit, but it's still good. I'd suggest trying to raise awareness for it and whatever. Maybe that means getting more random students to contribute something to it, or maybe it means making the magazine a bit of a character (like the Harvard Lampoon). I guess what I'd want, is for both magazines to be a bit more collegial, a bit more friendly and a bit more encompassing to all students.

I can understand that it appeals more to the arts faculty than the science ones, but it'd be nice to see a bit of an unbiased view in the articles. For instance, last weeks article on nuclear power. It was a bit too biased for my liking. Perhaps it'd be better to get a science students viewpoint or something of that nature?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Triangulum said:
Also, this week's multicultural-themed issue was painful in its 'objectification of the Other', 'Australian imperialism', ''difference' as 'enriching' of monolithic white culture as though other cultures can only exist on its periphery', 'mainstream interpretation of multiculturalism pits ethnicities against the white hegemony', 'systemic, societal, institutional, omnipresent, and epistemologically embedded phenomenon', blah blah blah. It's meant to be a student newspaper, not a competition to see how faux-academic we can sound.
I second that.

More light-heartedness is required.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
after vsu was introduced, i noticed the microwaves are now removed from any accessable location... though i may access a different microwave at this moment in time, but i still cannot help thinking:

microwave? vs the bull?

i will take the microwave thank you very much...

also, i once said there are threes things i liked about the union: the microwave, the stp, the chess club...
and they obliterated almost all of them...

oh, and the 37 dollars admin fee is ridiculous thank you very much... i want to see what you are gonna do if i form a "chinese chess appreciate club" and free to join... i want to see what are you gonna do about that...

Ruchir

HSC
Black Faery said:
Ok, I'd call that our fault :)

dagwoman, thanks for that comment but putting on what's on for a week is not in our hands. Its an automatic process that happens after people in charge fill in a relevant form available at usuonline.com . Thanks though, I appreciate your comments.

kow_dude and bazookajoe, the Bull is one of the two main student magazines/newspapers on campus at Sydney Uni. You'd get a copy of both of them in Wentworth, Manning, Holme and a few other locations around the campus.

Triangulum, I get your point though that was only one of the articles. And we tried getting a lot of other submissions, but people didn't respond in time. My apologies, maybe I can try and get it to be better in an objective way.. :)

Nebuchanezzar, I like your point and thats what we try every time. If you noticed, we've had articles on Cricket, Mac and Windows and random things like those. Its just that some weeks we get some people to like them, some we don't. But believe me, we spend a week every hour discussing and hammering our heads around trying to get an allround edition! And with your weekly column suggestion, you are welcome to send in something and we'll be able to tell you if we can put that in in the coming weeks.

Keep it coming guys, and feel free to contribute. All comments/suggestions and contributions are really appreciated.

-Ruchir

Ruchir

HSC
xiao1985 said:
after vsu was introduced, i noticed the microwaves are now removed from any accessable location... though i may access a different microwave at this moment in time, but i still cannot help thinking:

microwave? vs the bull?

i will take the microwave thank you very much...

also, i once said there are threes things i liked about the union: the microwave, the stp, the chess club...
and they obliterated almost all of them...

oh, and the 37 dollars admin fee is ridiculous thank you very much... i want to see what you are gonna do if i form a "chinese chess appreciate club" and free to join... i want to see what are you gonna do about that...
My apologies, I missed replying to you yesterday. I think we probably posted around the same time. Anyways, we have taken up the issue of the microwave in the past not just in one of our editions but personally (I spoke to a couple of directors - and its not because of VSU, more because they think it creates too much mess and there were two damaged).

But also, VSU has been an unfortunate part were all publications were cut down to only the Bull remaining now with UR and Hermes being a yearly thing and none other left.

Again, with 37 dollars admin fee, I have the same stance as you and again I've expressed my opinion, but I suppose you need to realise that VSU was going to ask for things like these given that the Revenue of the Union has already fallen by 8 million and they aren't sure where the money is coming from now.

Anyways, I appreciate your concerns and just to add to it, Bull advertising pays for itself and the staff for marketing ( I think - don't quote me on that) so it makes sense to have it. :)

-Ruchir

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
Nothing. You just won't get audited or funded.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
And with your weekly column suggestion, you are welcome to send in something and we'll be able to tell you if we can put that in in the coming weeks.
I suggest that you give me about two hundred words or so in which to bitch about something. it worked for mX.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I suggest that you give me about two hundred words or so in which to bitch about something. it worked for mX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)