Burn a flag :) (1 Viewer)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
My guess is it's a kit with a flag and some matches - teh pwn guys. I'm going to sell koran burning kits.
Then the muslims will complain that it is taking free speech too far and there should be limits to insulting fabricated religious beliefs...Oh! the hypocrisy!

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
funnybunny said:
well withoutaface/not-that-bright, flag burning is an exercise of freedom of speech, just as the publishing of muhammad comics in newspapers....if ur not against that, then why are you against flag burning?...after all it's an expression of the freedom of speech
and not-that-bright..u idiot...u'll still be burning the flag..LOL lmfao

I'm extremely against burning the flag - its a desecration of everything Australia stands for, what our ancestors fought for. It stands for our past, our culture, us! Even if you don't like/agree what happened in the past, you should still accept it as a part of our history.

Burning the flag is not a symbol of freedom of speech, its disrespectful and malicious. How anyone can condone it is beyond me? If you think burning flags is okay, and in essence you are burning everything Australia is for, then you have no right to except the freedoms Australia provides you with. Go to some other country.

If you think Australia is bad then go over to parts of Asia, Europe and Africa where people are slaughtered simply because they don't follow what the government wants.

We don't live in fear because we are a free country, respect that at least and don't burn the flag.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=82456

I only just saw this now, hadnt heard much about it before. But anyway, isnt it already considered a crime to deface the Australian flag? I swear i have heard this somewhere in the past before this topic even came up.

As for my opinion on the issue, i wouldn't do it...there are other ways to exercise free speech than make a big spectacle out of it and draw attention to themselves (although, i suppose this is the aim). I just dont see much point in it..the majority of people are just going to dismiss it and think "ah there go those <appropriate word that slipped my mind> again". In the end, i realy dont think these demonstartions achieve anything.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnybunny
I'm pretty sure the aussies i saw on tv weren't muslim.

You missed what I did there.

I'm extremely against burning the flag - its a desecration of everything Australia stands for, what our ancestors fought for. It stands for our past, our culture, us! Even if you don't like/agree what happened in the past, you should still accept it as a part of our history.
Your whole post is based on the idea that burning the flag means hating this country. This may be in other cases but it is principle of freedom of speech that THIS is fighting for. :p

funnybunny

HSC
"Burning the flag is not a symbol of freedom of speech, its disrespectful and malicious. How anyone ca"
It is freeedom of speech. Have you been blocked out to the issue of freedom of speech that has been raised in current affair/news in almost the past month?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
funnybunny said:
"Burning the flag is not a symbol of freedom of speech, its disrespectful and malicious. How anyone ca"
It is freeedom of speech. Have you been blocked out to the issue of freedom of speech that has been raised in current affair/news in almost the past month?
It is covered under freedom of speech, but by burning it you're desecrating freedom, making you a flaming hypocrite.

funnybunny

HSC
the australian flag ONLY represents freedom (according to ppl anyway)....by banning the right to burn it, then you're only taking away people's freedom of expression....so therefore it makes YOU a flaming idiot

PS: plz dont post if you do not have a grasp of what freedom actually is.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
funnybunny said:
the australian flag ONLY represents freedom (according to ppl anyway)....by banning the right to burn it, then you're only taking away people's freedom of expression....so therefore it makes YOU a flaming idiotic hypocrite
Did I ever say I wanted to ban people from burning it? No. I said they were arsepirates, and so are you.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I do dislike burning it. I think its horrible and that the people who do it are scum, but by banning it we'd be no better than they are.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
elissa said:

Burning the flag is not a symbol of freedom of speech, its disrespectful and malicious. How anyone can condone it is beyond me? If you think burning flags is okay, and in essence you are burning everything Australia is for, then you have no right to except the freedoms Australia provides you with. Go to some other country.

If you think Australia is bad then go over to parts of Asia, Europe and Africa where people are slaughtered simply because they don't follow what the government wants.

We don't live in fear because we are a free country, respect that at least and don't burn the flag.
Do you (and Bronnie Bishop) blindly believe that ALL of our ancestors fought for the flag--what a cuntload of rubbish. My ancestors did not fight for the country, they were still in Holland, Norway and Denmark when my grandparents came here after WWII they made their contribution peacefully by partly building the Snowy Mountains Scheme. Even though my grandparents from Holland escaped the Nazis, they made their contribution in an equally important way.

I fucking hate looking at our flag, one because it looks too similar to the New Zealand flag and two, a quarter of it is wasted on the fucking Union Jack, representing the idiots who "discovered" the country and to this day have not given it the proper recognition to its traditional owners (What was that word Johnny, you gobshite), and basically fucked it up, now the Aboriginal people have been ignored in the last 10 years as we try to become a more tolerant place by inviting more dickheads from overseas (Especially pommies:burn:) and we have tried to inject about every other twat from all around the globe and say hey were multicultural, these fuckwits are more important than the Aboriginals (even the Muslims).

So basically, I don't take offence at burning the flag cos it means fuck all about this nation to me.

funnybunny

HSC
On a totally differnt topic...Well said....everyone believes that all aussie's ancestors fought in the war or something. It's pretty stupid and sheer dumbness to say it. Or are we not australian unless our ancestors fought in ANZAC or sumthing?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The people who fought in the two world wars fought for the freedom you enjoy today. If you don't appreciate it then move somewhere you can live under Sharia law.

funnybunny

HSC
How is it that if they didn't i automatically means that there is no freedom for Aust...ur jus making assumptions. I mean countries such as France, Germany lost wars and still they have freedom. You are assuming a lot :p

Comrade nathan

HSC
elissa said:

You make is sound like Australia is a flag lovers country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)