Burn a flag :) (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
funnybunny said:
How is it that if they didn't i automatically means that there is no freedom for Aust...ur jus making assumptions. I mean countries such as France, Germany lost wars and still they have freedom. You are assuming a lot :p
If Japan wasn't stopped in PNG they would have eventually found their way into Australia (after conquering the Pacific of course), and we'd be part of an authoritarian Japanese Empire.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
funnybunny said:
"Burning the flag is not a symbol of freedom of speech, its disrespectful and malicious. How anyone ca"
It is freeedom of speech. Have you been blocked out to the issue of freedom of speech that has been raised in current affair/news in almost the past month?
freedom of speech? you have to be joking! No I haven't been blocked out to the issues of freedom of speech raised recently. What you must realise is this country and the government have to balance people's right to freedom of speeh with people's right to be safe and live in a safe environment.

I refer to the banning of the "grafitti game", games like this (including violent games) should not be on sale. They provide no entertainment value, and if you find people beating each other up and killing them entertaining then you are SICK.

Australia isn't a flag lovers country - and I don't make it sound like that - the flag is simply a SYMBOL of what Australians love, we don't actually love the flag.

You people are trampling over the freedoms that this great country has given you.

ihavenothing of course you dont give a f*ck about the flag. You seem to be one of the "migrant" type people who don't recognise what Australia is about. Your ancestors came here from Nazi persecution (you say) so they realised that Australia was a free country - they wouldn't have came here if it wasn't.

I recognise that Australia had Aboriginals on it originally - and the "discovery" of Australia was controversial, but you must realise what the Europeans believed in then - the land was not cultivated so in their eyes it was not "owned". This is what their views were back in 1700's.

Thankfully we have developed and grown over the past 200 years, and we do recognise what they went through - but why should we apologise - we (the people of today) should not have to apologise for what others did.

Would you apologise if one of your ancestors hurt someone in the past? Meaning would you apologise to that person's ancestor? If you would why? It was not your mistake, you shouldn't have o apologise for something you did not do. Take responsibility for your own actions - not some one else's .

It will be a very sad day for Australia if people like you become PM.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Did anyone notice what it said below the instructions?
It was something along the lines of, "To be used for racist/something protests".

The people that were on TV have no reasoning or logic. They think emotions can cause a favourable reaction on the "bigger" issues, as theu put it (war on Iraq/etc). Morons.

edit: To refrain from burning the flag, just for people who fought for our country is reason enough for me.

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
question to be asked: does our flag represent who we truly are, and what we, as Australians aspire to be? if yes then dont burn the flag! sure, you do have a freedom of speech to burn a flag, but does that flag impinge upon the right of others? one man's enjoyment for another person's misery?

if you really do want to burn a flag, do it at a private place, not in a public area. perhaps in ur backyard, or in the garage. but no, not in a park, or in a shopping centre, let alone at uni. We have to be concious about many people who believe in what values and ideals that flag stands for.

Take a look at Mary McAleese's speech "Defence of Freedom" and you will know what I mean.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
A flag is a fucking piece of cloth.

Why you dumb fucks think it's wrong to burn it is beyond me.
The Bible is merely a collection of words and pages. and yet, people worship it, not because it was made of paper/papyrus.etc...and black-colour ink pigment, but because of those distinct patterns and sequences of letters and words that make out sentences which makes out information. on a flag, its no different.

Its not the material it is made of that counts, its the symbols and patterns depicted on it that count.

all do respect here, im not trying to be this grand true blue aussie patriot, but merely trying to say what i think is logical and feasible to this 'flag burning' issue.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
I don't care about the bible. Or the Australian flag.

There is no logical explanation to prevent someone from burning either.
for some people, the symbols and words that are in the bible or displayed on the flag means something to them. and i am assuming that burning = destruction. you wouldnt want to go around and burning stuff that you treasure or hold dear. for some people, the bible and the australian flag does hold dear to them.

i suppose its a matter of personal taste and opinion.

so, i suppose u can burn them, just as long as u do so in a private place, not in public. :) your freedom of speech is still exercised.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
A flag is a fucking piece of cloth.

Why you dumb fucks think it's wrong to burn it is beyond me.
lets burn you, - its only fucking piece of flesh and bone.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Why burn the flag? because its controversial? because its cool?
This isn't even a worthwhile arguement. If you kids want to go burn your flags, go nuts. It'll mean nothing more than those make poverty history wristbands. Your $2 makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and like you've done something and then you go out and buy the new Simple Plan CD, James Blunt CD or just go nuts and maybe squeal with your mates about which boy/girl is most stylish or plain hawt and how you're going to get him/her. The hypocracy in people really gets to me. If any of you really wanted to burn a flag you'd go out an do it. If you really disapproved but didnt want it criminalised you should be able to look down on those dancing around the flag doing some awesomely controversial testament to the i-hate-the-liberals groupies and let them go to sleep at night happy while you can go to sleep at night happy because you know you're better than that person.

Think about it.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
Why burn the flag? because its controversial? because its cool?
This isn't even a worthwhile arguement. If you kids want to go burn your flags, go nuts. It'll mean nothing more than those make poverty history wristbands. Your $2 makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and like you've done something and then you go out and buy the new Simple Plan CD, James Blunt CD or just go nuts and maybe squeal with your mates about which boy/girl is most stylish or plain hawt and how you're going to get him/her. The hypocracy in people really gets to me. If any of you really wanted to burn a flag you'd go out an do it. If you really disapproved but didnt want it criminalised you should be able to look down on those dancing around the flag doing some awesomely controversial testament to the i-hate-the-liberals groupies and let them go to sleep at night happy while you can go to sleep at night happy because you know you're better than that person.

Think about it.
a click click boom tim ends this thread just like that
i seriously dont think ive ever seen such a matter of fact summation of everyones arguments in a thread. congrats

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
"Would you apologise if one of your ancestors hurt someone in the past? Meaning would you apologise to that person's ancestor? If you would why? It was not your mistake, you shouldn't have o apologise for something you did not do. Take responsibility for your own actions - not some one else's ." Why do people like you try to forget or not care about such incidents, yet continue to glorify events like Anzacx, etc.??

What you must realise is this country and the government have to balance people's right to freedom of speeh with people's right to be safe and live in a safe environment.
What are you spitting out \Mary Maclese's speech. Before you do that, actually understand it properly. In her speech she refers to acts of freedom ofspeech leads to terrorr etc. Burning a flag doesn't cause terror or an unsafe enviornment if done properly. It is the basic freedom of speech it represents, maybe peopole like you take it out of context and think it's disrespecting Australia., well too bad for you. :p

Riewe

HSC
Burning the flag should be allowed ... this way we can find out who the scumbags really are and send them off in a nuclear sub and blow them up somewhere in middle of the pacific.

funnybunny

HSC
Not-that-bright, it's obvious that no one wants to ban burning the flag, but thinks it is disrespectful or wrong. This is what the whole thread is about, should people burn the flag or not, and not about banning it. :p

Last edited:

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
its pretty funny though really ... they're so serious about making 'their point' ... but with all their brain power combined, the best thing they could come up with is 'LOLOLzz we're gunna lyk burn ur flagz!!#%!1one!1'

funnybunny

HSC
And why do you think people should burn the flag?in the context, it is freedom of speech.
whats wrong with quran burning kits? it's holy, and you'll prob go to hell
And what's wrong with Bible burning kits? it's holy, and you'll prob go to hell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)